What do you think school will be like in the fall? UPDATE page 29 for Mass.

Seriously, life is not more important? Ask anyone grieving a loved one who has died. 70, 000 people are dead and more to come.
I'm baffled, but I guess if this virus doesn't affect you or your loved one directly, you can say that.
I don't want to flame anyone, but we are seeing death daily, is that ok?

So what do you suppose all of us should do, stay in our homes for as long as it takes until nobody dies?
Do we do that for anything else?
People are going to die due to COVID, I could even be one of them, but we can't stay locked in our homes forever.
The virus effects US ALL in different ways, but yes I'm more concerned with my low risk adult children's ability to finish college (can't without hands on labs) and graduate on time next year so they can (hopefully) find a job.
I'm concerned about other things but this is a thread about school so I'll leave it at that.

I think it will depend highly on how much we learn about the virus in the coming months, how each state is faring in terms of medical resources, and whether we are close to a more easily accessible treatment (and vaccine). Way too many variables to really make a call at this point. Many colleges are already poised to be able to move more classes online if needed, but the public schools are struggling because the infrastructure wasn't there to provide secure online learning (and the educators were not trained to instruct online, it's a totally different skill set). Providing homework online and providing live instruction online are different animals. But I think most schools are trying to come up with a contingency plan if schools need to reopen in the fall with virtual or hybrid teaching. I could see staggered days, possibly alternate locations, but the biggest challenge they face is ensuring that every student in the public school system still has equitable access to the learning. Our public school systems in this country were completely unprepared to provide that outside of the physical school building.

Seriously, life is not more important? Ask anyone grieving a loved one who has died. 70, 000 people are dead and more to come.
I'm baffled, but I guess if this virus doesn't affect you or your loved one directly, you can say that.
I don't want to flame anyone, but we are seeing death daily, is that ok?

You are scared and that's okay.

I really think now the news needs to start reporting ALL of the statistics, not just deaths and new cases.

If people can actually see the numbers of positives that did not need hospitalization, the number of positives vs the number of tests, the number of those hospitalized that were discharged - then people wouldn't be as scared anymore.

Every new virus has a surge of deaths in the beginning. Not to say we shouldn't have done what we did, still wear masks, still social distance be looking for vaccines, treatments etc., but it's also time to start looking to open up life again. And not waiting for a vaccine or successful treatment.

Also - I think the the "are you not affected" question goes both ways.

Sure, it's easier for those who didn't lose a loved one to want to move on.

It's also easier for those who still have jobs, live somewhere they can easily still be outside, maybe their life hasn't changed too much to say "yes, stay closed!!!".
But for those of us that are hurting with all the closures, stuck in apartments, losing a lot of what made our lives "Life" - it's not that easy. My life has changed drastically at this point and I hate to say looks to only get worse next month when more job cuts/cut hours come.

So what do you suppose all of us should do, stay in our homes for as long as it takes until nobody dies?
Do we do that for anything else?
People are going to die due to COVID, I could even be one of them, but we can't stay locked in our homes forever.
The virus effects US ALL in different ways, but yes I'm more concerned with my low risk adult children's ability to finish college (can't without hands on labs) and graduate on time next year so they can (hopefully) find a job.
I'm concerned about other things but this is a thread about school so I'll leave it at that.

I wish that could be and not one person suffer because of it, but that's not the case. No, we haven't had to do this for anything else, because there has been nothing in recent history that has taken 70, 000 innocent lives so quickly.
Re-opening parts of the country that were not a 14 day decline could cause even more devastating results, we will find out soon.
You have your concerns, I have mine.
Watching two very dear people to me bury their loved ones, who died alone causes me to want things to stay closed a bit longer. I am from South Florida, a hard hit area and numbers are still rising everyday here, so its MY view
Having two grandkids with autoimmune issues causes me concern, having an 81 yr old mom who is alone and can't leave her house makes me sad.
We all have our reasons and thoughts on this.........

My 16 year old daughter takes classes at the community college through a running start program where she earns an AA concurrent with her high school diploma. They’ve already stated all Fall classes will be online. Dd has to take her chemistry series with labs next year. I have no idea how that’s possible online. I’m fine with her going on campus for labs if that’s required though. Maybe they’ll make sure each student is 6 feet apart and have them wear masks.

Georgia here.
My gut says it will be digital until 2021. That is what the school system is preparing for, kids are keeping their laptops over the summer.
However, I personally think you may see elementary schools go back, and middle and high schools may do more digital learning. You might even see elementary schools using middle and high school space to meet, for social distancing. Elementary kids (I think) really need the in-classroom time, compared to older kids, and they are also the ages that require childcare, which would prevent parents from going back to work.

This virus is proving to be very nasty for a group of people, but not a death sentence for 99% of the rest of us. We have to move along.

Ha!! You must be the one who hates children and old people!!
Be prepared for the social media bullies to pile on!

Yep. I've shared this info before, but my company makes products sold in every Home Depot and Lowe's. Sales are up 84% now over last year. That's not a typo. People never stopped going to stores, and in fact, went out more. Foot traffic in stores is WAAAAAY up, I'm talking millions of additional people. Cases and deaths don't correlate. Stores aren't having staffing problems. The virus took us by surprise. We've got more info now. It's time to move on, and yes, I'm one of those that thinks mandatory masks are silly. Not every place is NYC. Not everyone is 80+ years old. I'm okay with the heat of flames.

I wish that could be and not one person suffer because of it, but that's not the case. No, we haven't had to do this for anything else, because there has been nothing in recent history that has taken 70, 000 innocent lives so quickly.
Re-opening parts of the country that were not a 14 day decline could cause even more devastating results, we will find out soon.
You have your concerns, I have mine.
Watching two very dear people to me bury their loved ones, who died alone causes me to want things to stay closed a bit longer. I am from South Florida, a hard hit area and numbers are still rising everyday here, so its MY view
Having two grandkids with autoimmune issues causes me concern, having an 81 yr old mom who is alone and can't leave her house makes me sad.
We all have our reasons and thoughts on this.........

Yes we do but you were the one that said you were baffled. I can understand your concerns, because we are all concerned about our loved ones, especially those in high risk groups, and I'm in NY so I do know people who have lost loved ones due to this. I also have concerns about the financial impact on my loved ones who are small business owners, and those who have no idea if they will have a job to return too. I'm concerned about the mental health of everyone too. We've done what we've set out to do here, (I'm not in NYC) we've flattened the curve, it's time to get back to normal.

as far as college goes where we live-the public university announced this week it will continue with on-line instruction for the fall and implement a wait and watch plan. depending on how things go they may start introducing in person in the winter but even then dorming students (they will offer it as an option during the fall) will only be 1 to a room so i imagine the cost will skyrocket as the university passes along their income losses to students. this is the same place that did massive layoffs/job eliminations over the past couple of years b/c of decreasing college enrollments region wide so i don't know how much more bare bones they can get (unless they do sweeping eliminations of entire degree programs which may have to happen with those that can't be done entirely on-line or absent social distancing).

k-12. superintendent of public education has already said not to count on schools opening 'on time' in the fall. gave the order to districts to use the time off (since mid march stay at home order) to develop distance learning curriculums and delivery plans. distance might work with some but we've got large regions with little to no decent internet (and very cost prohibitive for it to be set up). heard some discussion on tv today for some states/districts considering staggered attendance days/times. no idea on how schools would facilitate staggered times with bus demands.

i know of one district in another state that started w/ distance on-line but b/c of experiences with zoom hacking they were advised by the feds to discontinue. a friend who works with special ed students for another district in another state is stuck in a battle between what their district wants to do vs. what professionals in their field are cautioning. it has to do with distance speech therapy and if it is more detrimental to delay providing services as opposed to ordering staff who are untrained in the proper way to provide it on-line to just 'wing it'.

i'm thankful both my 'kids' are young adults. my older could have done fairly well with distance learning but my special needs would have regressed absent the structure/specialized instruction.

Yes we do but you were the one that said you were baffled. I can understand your concerns, because we are all concerned about our loved ones, especially those in high risk groups, and I'm in NY so I do know people who have lost loved ones due to this. I also have concerns about the financial impact on my loved ones who are small business owners, and those who have no idea if they will have a job to return too. I'm concerned about the mental health of everyone too. We've done what we've set out to do here, (I'm not in NYC) we've flattened the curve, it's time to get back to normal.

I am baffled and will continue to be.
Take care of yourself.

My kids are doing great with distance learning, although I don't think my middle school-aged son is given enough work to do. I give him extra "assignments" to do, but they're "fun" assignments. We have a little book club where we both read the same book and then discuss it, I've had him write letters to family and friends (which they've loved receiving!), and I've been teaching him a little about financial matters--I gave him a pretend salary and he had to budget pretend expenses, etc. My high school daughter seems to be doing more or less what she was doing before, just from home.

If things aren't back to something resembling normal by fall I may just enroll them in e-school. I would actually be perfectly happy with this except for the social component. My kids are maintaining friendships via social media but it isn't the same.

I realize that my situation is not typical and I do think it's vital for the majority of children to be back in classrooms as quickly as possible. It must be a terrible struggle for parents of very young children, especially if the parents are working, and special needs and disadvantaged children are not getting what they need right now. This hurts us all in the long run.

I don't think next year will be a regular school year. I work at an elementary school and I think we may go back in August or September while numbers are down, and then transition back to online when the virus inevitably picks up again--and it will when you put all those hundreds of kids together in a building with shared bathroom facilities. Social distancing is impossible in a public school!

Aww, look at those little cuties! That picture is both happy and sad. I love seeing kids in classrooms, but the masks and headgear are awfully depressing. And now I'm wondering how they handle things like bathroom breaks, meals, specials. I can't imagine what those look like with social distancing and masks.

I truly expect everything to be back to the usual here. The only reason we are closed now is because the governor mandated it. If he’d left it to the individual districts to decide, we would have been in school this whole time.
What state are you in? If you don’t mind sharing.😊

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter