What do you think school will be like in the fall? UPDATE page 29 for Mass.

For students with both IEPs and health issues that would prevent them from returning to school right away, could teachers be deployed to their homes? My mom is still receiving her PT at home and has a home health aide at night since both are considered essential services. Could we do the same with any willing teachers? Of course they would need some special training and PPE.
For the amount of money they get paid, I can’t see dumping even more responsibilities onto them. That would probably also require hiring more teachers which districts don’t have the money for. One classroom teacher can’t teach a class of 24 plus kids in addition to driving homes.

He shouldn‘t be crushed by an A-, and this is still middle school, right? My kids are high school juniors who probably didn’t get the scores they should’ve on their AP calc exams with online instruction and only 2 questions.
Freshman. With a learning disability. And depression and severe anxiety. Who exceeded everyone’s expectations in high school with straight A’s. So, yes, now feeling lost and behind in his classwork is crushing. I try really hard to keep my posts based on feelings related to my family’s experience. There is nothing I can say or do to change how he feels at this moment. That is how mental illness works.

I can appreciate how disappointed your children feel. I hope this is a case where their results are better than they think. It is hard when our children hurt, and we can’t fix it.

Freshman. With a learning disability. And depression and severe anxiety. Who exceeded everyone’s expectations in high school with straight A’s. So, yes, now feeling lost and behind in his classwork is crushing. I try really hard to keep my posts based on feelings related to my family’s experience. There is nothing I can say or do to change how he feels at this moment. That is how mental illness works.

I can appreciate how disappointed your children feel. I hope this is a case where their results are better than they think. It is hard when our children hurt, and we can’t fix it.
At least the year is almost over, ds17 is usually a great student and happy, this marking period he was bad about turning in assignments due to his attitude about the whole situation (life did a 180, he’s so used to be with friends or playing sports during his free time), one teacher had him email her an apology in order to keep his NHS invitation even though he qualified (and I don’t blame her). I can’t imagine if he was depressed before this, good luck to your son. Our SAT tutor and dd19’s college chemistry tutor are still tutoring online, you could look into that.

At least the year is almost over, ds17 is usually a great student and happy, this marking period he was bad about turning in assignments due to his attitude about the whole situation (life did a 180, he’s so used to be with friends or playing sports during his free time), one teacher had him email her an apology in order to keep his NHS invitation even though he qualified (and I don’t blame her). I can’t imagine if he was depressed before this, good luck to your son. Our SAT tutor and dd19’s college chemistry tutor are still tutoring online, you could look into that.
Thank you. We are considering a lot of options. I think all parents can be in agreement this school year can’t end quickly enough. I am glad your son got some resolution with his teacher. This sucks. It just all sucks. My family has been more blessed than not, but it still all sucks!! I was following the glass half full thread:flower1:. I guess it is time I start working on my own post!

Didn't read all replies, but where I live in upstate NY, my MIL works at a public school and they are making plans to have all grade levels attend class virtually. Teachers will still go into their classroom to teach as normal, but students will be via webcams. They plan to invest in technology to make this an easier effort. I have no idea what the plan would be for parents who have to go to work and can't leave little kids at home, families who don't have access to computes and webcams, or even teachers who have kids that can't be left alone. Will be interesting to see how it plays out.

We talked about this at our school and nixed it because several of our teachers, two of whom are single parents, have students in the school. They can't be in their classrooms, teaching, and at home with their students, supervising.

I wonder if middle and high schools would stop having the kids change classrooms during the day and instead have the teaching staff move. Keeping massive amounts of kids out of the hallways during period changes would help with the social distancing. They can also have split sessions so only half the kids are physically in school at any one time.

We're going to be doing this in DD's middle school, but we're a tiny school so everyone is on mostly the same track. There is only one track for 5th & 6th grades and all of the kids in those grades move as a unit, so moving the teachers around works. It works, though differently, for 7th & 8th as well because the variation is in the math track - the "standard" track is on site, the "advanced" track is dual-enrollment at the high school next door - and in foreign language, which is entirely taught at the neighboring high school but the whole grade still takes those classes in the same hour. The difference is just which go next door and to which classroom, and which stay in our building. But in bigger middle schools and in high schools regardless of size, the kids don't move as a group from class to class - a student can be in the standard level of English but advanced math, or standard math but AP history, etc. So they have to be able to rearrange themselves between classes.

Not only that, but millions of kids still don’t have reliable internet. And who is going to pay those internet bills? People are trying to put food on the table for their families and some just simply cannot afford it.

And for many, it isn't even a question of money. In a lot of rural America, high speed internet simply isn't available. Unless something radical changes in our political climate, we're not going to suddenly and in a time of budget crisis make the kind of investments in broadband infrastructure that were made during the Depression to extend electricity to rural communities, but that's what would be needed for us to really think about online schooling as a way of reinventing education on anything more than a short-term, emergency solution.

And for many, it isn't even a question of money. In a lot of rural America, high speed internet simply isn't available. Unless something radical changes in our political climate, we're not going to suddenly and in a time of budget crisis make the kind of investments in broadband infrastructure that were made during the Depression to extend electricity to rural communities, but that's what would be needed for us to really think about online schooling as a way of reinventing education on anything more than a short-term, emergency solution.

Not right now... but part of the whole 5G cellular/wireless project is the ability to bring high speed internet to rural areas. This is what they tell the FCC anyway. Won't be for a year or more probably...but just saying there are plans to get high speed data to them.

Fair enough, as long as their answer isn't more distance learning. It's a complete failure, even more than anyone is letting on.

Maybe for you it was a complete failure, but we're not seeing that in my district. Was it the best for all kids. No. But we did the best we could.

We found out at 3:30 on Friday, March 13 that we would be going remote on Monday. We handed 650 students Chromebooks and chargers as they left the school at 4:05. Every student knows how to log in and use our in-house program to get their lessons, complete the work, and submit. 75% of the teachers at my school are paper-free and use this program daily. We did Zoom, Loom, and YouTube to remote teach. We used Google Voice so kids could call or text at any time-often they were doing this late at night.

Did it work for all classes? No. It absolutely did not work for my classes. Sorry you just can't teach instrumental music using Zoom. If any parent here thinks their child's instrumental music teacher was conducting them from home they were just going through the motions. They had all the kids muted because delays in internet speed. Did we do other things? Yup but nothing can replace playing as a band or orchestra.

This really sucked for me. This was my last year because I'm retiring. My kids missed their last concerts and I missed my last concerts. I wasn't able to tell each 8th grader why they were so important to me, what I saw in them, and how much they've grown. Yes I wrote them notes and mailed them home, but that isn't the same as getting a snack bag from your teacher as she tells an entire gym filled with family and friends why your her why.

Despite the disappointments this was not a failure. It was a learning experience for everyone. We learned what worked and what didn't. Now it's time to build on this because there will be another shutdown at some point next school year. It may be because of COVID 19, a hurricane, or a blizzard.

Finally, I'm going to say to you what I say to all of my kids who "aren't going to that school because it's not good". What you put into your education is what you get out. You could go to the best school and learn nothing or you could go to the school with "failing" grades and get an amazing education. Now I'm going to expand on that - you could do remote learning and get the most out of it or you can just stare at a screen and get your all work done in 90 minutes with little effort. The choice is that of the student.

Maybe for you it was a complete failure, but we're not seeing that in my district. Was it the best for all kids. No. But we did the best we could.

We found out at 3:30 on Friday, March 13 that we would be going remote on Monday. We handed 650 students Chromebooks and chargers as they left the school at 4:05. Every student knows how to log in and use our in-house program to get their lessons, complete the work, and submit. 75% of the teachers at my school are paper-free and use this program daily. We did Zoom, Loom, and YouTube to remote teach. We used Google Voice so kids could call or text at any time-often they were doing this late at night.

Did it work for all classes? No. It absolutely did not work for my classes. Sorry you just can't teach instrumental music using Zoom. If any parent here thinks their child's instrumental music teacher was conducting them from home they were just going through the motions. They had all the kids muted because delays in internet speed. Did we do other things? Yup but nothing can replace playing as a band or orchestra.

This really sucked for me. This was my last year because I'm retiring. My kids missed their last concerts and I missed my last concerts. I wasn't able to tell each 8th grader why they were so important to me, what I saw in them, and how much they've grown. Yes I wrote them notes and mailed them home, but that isn't the same as getting a snack bag from your teacher as she tells an entire gym filled with family and friends why your her why.

Despite the disappointments this was not a failure. It was a learning experience for everyone. We learned what worked and what didn't. Now it's time to build on this because there will be another shutdown at some point next school year. It may be because of COVID 19, a hurricane, or a blizzard.

Finally, I'm going to say to you what I say to all of my kids who "aren't going to that school because it's not good". What you put into your education is what you get out. You could go to the best school and learn nothing or you could go to the school with "failing" grades and get an amazing education. Now I'm going to expand on that - you could do remote learning and get the most out of it or you can just stare at a screen and get your all work done in 90 minutes with little effort. The choice is that of the student.

I had a response typed out to this but it's not worth it. I'll just say some students can give 100% of their effort and still not have success with online learning. Some simply aren't wired to be able to learn from a screen.

CDC has released suggested guidelines, it will be up to states now to decide if that’s how they will make decision or leave it up to individual districts. I think that’s where we will see the most flack. People will not want to the state to make decision BUT then have the districts on a hook when something happens to their precious child.

My 16 year old daughter takes classes at the community college through a running start program where she earns an AA concurrent with her high school diploma. They’ve already stated all Fall classes will be online. Dd has to take her chemistry series with labs next year. I have no idea how that’s possible online. I’m fine with her going on campus for labs if that’s required though. Maybe they’ll make sure each student is 6 feet apart and have them wear masks.
My daughter just took chem2 partially online and the teacher was super supportive! She did say labs were strange after doing in person half the semester but they got through it

We got an email from our kids' school district this afternoon. This is a snippet of what they said:

"I also want to take a moment to start to address what to expect for the 2020-21 school year. As I’m sure you can imagine, there is a fair amount of uncertainty regarding how we will deliver instruction during the coming school year. Please know we are staying connected to the many discussions and the ever-changing guidance coming from education leaders, federal and state officials, and parents alike. We are planning accordingly, and we’re confident that:
  1. We'll be able to follow applicable guidelines and requirements from local, state, and federal officials to keep everyone safe.
  2. Through our talented and passionate teachers and the __District Name__ Curriculum, we will be able to continue providing the same world-class education we always have.
Just how __District Name__ will launch and operate in the 2020-21 school year will depend on many factors including, but not limited to, local conditions, expert guidance, and state requirements. Our educators, as well as our central office support teams, are already preparing for three different operational realities we are likely to be dealing with next year:
  1. Continuing to provide full online instruction until it is safe to reopen our facilities.
  2. Providing a blend of online and in-person instruction in the event we can have some students, but not all students, in the school buildings, in order to ensure safety and social distancing requirements.
  3. Returning to 100% (or close to it) instruction in our facilities.
We will continue our preparations for the 2020-21 school year throughout the summer and will keep you updated as we attain additional information and solidify our plans."

We talked about this at our school and nixed it because several of our teachers, two of whom are single parents, have students in the school. They can't be in their classrooms, teaching, and at home with their students, supervising.

We're going to be doing this in DD's middle school, but we're a tiny school so everyone is on mostly the same track. There is only one track for 5th & 6th grades and all of the kids in those grades move as a unit, so moving the teachers around works. It works, though differently, for 7th & 8th as well because the variation is in the math track - the "standard" track is on site, the "advanced" track is dual-enrollment at the high school next door - and in foreign language, which is entirely taught at the neighboring high school but the whole grade still takes those classes in the same hour. The difference is just which go next door and to which classroom, and which stay in our building. But in bigger middle schools and in high schools regardless of size, the kids don't move as a group from class to class - a student can be in the standard level of English but advanced math, or standard math but AP history, etc. So they have to be able to rearrange themselves between classes.

It might be necessary to eliminate the various tracks for the short term. Advanced students could be given extra work to do on their own.

It might be necessary to eliminate the various tracks for the short term. Advanced students could be given extra work to do on their own.

I don't see any way that accomplishes anything other than discouraging a whole generation of gifted kids, not to mention accelerating the sorting of America by income as parents who can afford private schools or private tutors or homeschool resources keep their kids in educational settings that meet their needs while working and middle class families get the "one size fits all" experience cobbled together by public schools in crisis, and then have to somehow absorb the additional costs of lost scholarships and college credits not earned through AP and dual enrollment programs. It also completely fails when it comes to students who are already a year or two into their high school experience, because they'll either be retaking or skipping particular classes as they get pushed into a generic track that doesn't line up with where they are now. Our advanced students take the "standard" freshman math as 7th graders and sophomore math as 8th graders and can start high school with up to two years of their chosen language, so if they were put onto a standardized track, they'd be repeating two years of content in two different subjects (not to mention being permanently knocked off the track that allowed my daughter to start college with her math requirements already satisfied - standard track students don't have the opportunity to get as far as AP calculus or AP statistics).

That is great for you. Truly. But I'm going to say that talking to friends across the country, you are in the minority here. We have all made the best of it. That isn't the same as working.

Yeah, that won't work. Nor should it. Punishing gifted/above grade level students isn't fair. They spend most of their elementary years that way.

We just got a survey from our elementary school about returning to school in the Fall. Almost all of the questions were geared to some sort of in person class, with most split between cohorts and returning as normal (with limited lunch, PE, etc). There was an option if you preferred to continue with remote learning even if the majority went back.

I teach Pre-K (blended 50/50 gen ed and IEP) We just finished up our final days. Sad, we felt terrible that we couldn't be with our class these past months. We got an email from the district with our "opening dates" but it didn't give any location or specifics. I'm really hoping we'll just open up. On line learning with 4/5 yr olds is like a trip to crazy town (fish eyes, underpants, mute/unmute, camera on/off etc.) Honestly I just don't know what we'll do if on line learning continues...

I find it disturbing that there is often so much support for making sure gifted and honors-level students get the specialized instruction they are entitled to, while at the same time there is often so little support for making sure special ed students get the support they are legally entitled to.

I find it disturbing that there is often so much support for making sure gifted and honors-level students get the specialized instruction they are entitled to, while at the same time there is often so little support for making sure special ed students get the support they are legally entitled to.

That's interesting because it's been the exact opposite in my experience. But maybe it's just my district.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!