What does it really cost? Part Deux

KVH

DIS Veteran
I'm back again! With more data. For reference, please see my previous post here. This week, based on the pricing available on Disney.com (as of 10/27), I've captured all the costs for 2 person cabin. While most of the previous observations remain, there are some newly identified interpretations. What I can't say is whether Covid itself, it's ramifications to the cruise, or other mgmt decisions have impacted the latest pricing.

First off, CPN (cost per night) has definitely been adjusted down, at least for the Magic and Wonder. This is evident for both Inside and Concierge cabins. Much more so than on the newer ships or for Oceanview or Verandah. It would seem the smaller ships for Inside and Club are more bang for your buck. At least through April.

What hasn't changed that much from the last time I did this is the cost to move up from one type of cabin to the next. Getting that Verandah on the Wonder is gonna cost you if you're used to Inside or Oceanview. I will note that the average here is about the same even if I break it out by year (minor tenths difference). It'll be definitely cheaper to move up in categories on the big boats.

I'm not even sure if this one shows anything of worth. CPN over the last couple years. Yes, it's slightly more expensive now that before but not by a lot. I will say that the trendlines for these are fairly flat. BUT </geek on> the r-square values are so low (due to a lot of variability over time) that defining a real trend isn't worthwhile </geek off>.

This chart is MUCH more telling. Average CPN for all four ships IS LOWER IN 2022 THAN 2021. Admittedly, that's only 4 months of pricing in 2022 so we'll have to see if this holds out. But, right now, DCL cruising is cheaper than last year.

Lastly, if you base your choices on how many nights you stay afloat, you'll find there are a couple of sweet spots. On all ships, 5 nights seems to be the sweet spot for the cheapest average CPN. The only outlier are Wonder's PC sailings (which is the lowest CPN of any sailing) EXCEPT for that dang Verandah cost.

If anyone is interest, I'm happy to share the data. Just LMK.

Did you do any price comparisons between last quarter sailings for 2021 and first quarter sailings 2022?

I am asking since the last quarter 2021 sailings came out during a time when no one even knew if there would be sailing in 2021. The first quarter 2022 sailings came out just a few months later, and I believe cruising had started back in Europe with more optimism of cruising beginning here sooner rather than later.

Did you do any price comparisons between last quarter sailings for 2021 and first quarter sailings 2022?

I am asking since the last quarter 2021 sailings came out during a time when no one even knew if there would be sailing in 2021. The first quarter 2022 sailings came out just a few months later, and I believe cruising had started back in Europe with more optimism of cruising beginning here sooner rather than later.
Not yet. I was going to go back and grab the latest prices but just haven't gotten around to it.

Most of my takeaways, admittedly, are at a high level. Largely due to the fact the pricing is point-in-time and only for 2 adults. I do wonder how much this would be different for a 2A2C scenario.

Well, hopefully by 2022 they'll have gotten rid of the DCL-only excursion idea, because that would bring the costs for the average cruiser up considerably.

Has there been any published info about that? Ughhh...that's such a deal breaker for me (hate DCL excursions) and I've been kicking myself in the a$$ every day for booking a cruise in 2021 where I can't get my deposit back.

Jesus, thanks for the person who posted the above about Disney only excursions. If our Hawaii cruise in 2022 is like this we might seriously cancel. That will be heartbreaking but no way in heck am I doing a group tour on the islands. We plan to rent cars and drive around, swim, eat and shop. I believe this is only rumors for now correct?

Jesus, thanks for the person who posted the above about Disney only excursions. If our Hawaii cruise in 2022 is like this we might seriously cancel. That will be heartbreaking but no way in heck am I doing a group tour on the islands. We plan to rent cars and drive around, swim, eat and shop. I believe this is only rumors for now correct?

When MSC starting back cruising in Europe a couple of months ago that was one of the requirements. I think many here have assumed it would be the same with Disney. Royal Caribbean has put out their plan/a lot of info and I didn't see any mention of that so hopefully it's just a rumor.

When MSC starting back cruising in Europe a couple of months ago that was one of the requirements. I think many here have assumed it would be the same with Disney. Royal Caribbean has put out their plan/a lot of info and I didn't see any mention of that so hopefully it's just a rumor.
I would also think that by 2022, in our case, things will change too. I can also see HI bring an exception and requiring Covid tests as they do now. There are many ways to handle risk.

I would also think that by 2022, in our case, things will change too. I can also see HI bring an exception and requiring Covid tests as they do now. There are many ways to handle risk.

We're on a Western Carib end of August 2021. Fingers crossed.

Well, hopefully by 2022 they'll have gotten rid of the DCL-only excursion idea, because that would bring the costs for the average cruiser up considerably.

The DCL-only excursion limitation could be a pay-in-full vs. cancel for us as we:
a) like to splurge a bit on a Veranda room but spend less in other areas
b) do our own research on ports and local sights; We've booked a variety of alternative tours and love to explore the many (mostly European) ports we've visited

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!