What does it really cost?

KVH

DIS Veteran
First of all, apologies for the TL;DR. But bear with me, you may find this interesting, especially if you're pricing a cruise. Secondly,

YMMV

Can't stress this enough.

As background, I'm a Delivery Manager at a Big Four firm. Waiting for my next contract to begin next week and decided to play around with some readily available DCL data. I pulled this earlier today and then spent an hour making some charts. There's a LOT more here but I wanted to get this out so . . .

What I've done is pull the entry pricing from the DCL site by general room type. Got this idea from the DCL Blog post on fall '21. I expanded it back to October '20 (what is available publicly). I've always wondered just how the ships stack up to one another on pricing. I know a little more now. I still have absolutely no idea about pricing algorithms or their methodology. I know they have them but am still looking for patterns to help me understand why the numbers are the way they are. It definitely doesn't explain why a 5B on the fall '21 EBPC is now $9K+ at opening but I can see relative costs among sailings and ships.

But with what is available (all based on 2A only), we can do some compare and contrast and come up with some general conclusions. I will say if anyone has ideas or input on this, have at it and LMK. Technically, as an engineer, I'm infallible. But I'll concede I had to accommodate some really poor data quality (missing sailings, missing/incomplete categories, etc). So some of my assumptions may not jive at some point. But that's where the fun discussion starts. Note that, in some cases I'm removing the Concierge level rooms. The values there tend to skew the visuals but it's available if anyone really wants to know more.

Remember, this is a point-in-time review. Fall '21 is opening day data but all the rest is subject to unavailability or over time demand increases added in. In a perfect world, I'd have 6-7 years of multi-period per category data from Touring Plans fare tracker DB. But that's proprietary so I've moved on. Maybe one day I'll get all that in my system but for now let's see what we can see.

First of all, there's always a big discussion of what room level to get. And whether to spend money on the next level up. Well, it seems, from an 'investment standpoint', the cost of upgrading is ship-dependent:

ShipUpgrade to OceanviewUpgrade to VerandahUpgrade to Concierge
Dream
3.0%​
6.4%​
48.1%​
Fantasy
4.6%​
6.9%​
51.9%​
Magic
11.0%​
17.7%​
53.1%​
Wonder
13.4%​
20.0%​
45.5%​

If you're on the Dream with an Inside room, it'll cost you, ON AVERAGE, ~10% more to get a verandah. However, an equivalent change on the Wonder will cost you a whopping 33% more. I would say the bigger ships have a tendency of more similar room pricing but this very well may be dependent on the types of sailings the various ships do.

When to sail is also always asked. I think we all know and agree that some times of the year cost more than others. But, when you look at it from a cost per night (CPN) perspective, you'll also find the variability changes based on the type of cabin you get:

Lot of data here. And I didn't want to post four different charts for each ship. To me, the takeaway here is that Oceanview rooms tend to be less variable and more consistent in pricing over time. Verandah rooms tend to fluctuate a lot room between sailings. I think there's more here to unpack, especially at the individual ship level so will have to look at this some more.

People also ask which ship is going to cost me the most? I know there are a massive numbers of ways to value what a sailing means to an individual (gotta have that CC double dip or at least 11 nights) but cost alone isn't a bad gauge. Again, this is dependent on room type in general:

If you want an Inside room, ON AVERAGE, the smaller ships will usually get you a lower CPN That's even true for Oceanviews. But Verandahs on the Wonder are really gonna get you. Also, in general, on the CPN level, the Dream seems to be the overall most expensive ship. There may be a time factor involved here but I haven't reviewed that yet.

There's also always the question of how many nights. And it seems there is a sweet spot:

On a CPN basis, 5-day sailings, especially on the Dream, seem to be the least expensive. Likewise, 3-night and 7/8-night sailings seem to be more expensive (8-night Magic Verandah is gonna cost you). But the winner is general has to be the Wonder's PC cruises. I think that may be largely a function of the number of nights versus client cost expectations/limits. Can't imagine what it would cost what they charge per might a 3-night sailing.

Have at it. Woud love to hear if i answered any questions you may have had or if i really missed the mark.

Very good analysis - and a silver lining in this environment when people finally have time to do this!

Now, cost/night isn't typically a metric most people think about - at least directly - when making decisions. They will have timing, total budget, and itinerary in mind, and they will try to plan around those constraints.
Also, averages are going to hide some real differences. Magic in Europe is much more moolah than, say, Fantasy in the Caribbeans.

I assume the numbers are based on the opening-day prices? (Check out the history here: https://touringplans.com/disney-cruise-line/tools/fare-tracker). These prices start to diverge over time and can become very volatile in the last few months. I imagine only about 20% to 30% of the cabins are sold in the first few weeks, and the average ship price over the life of the booking window can skew up quite a bit.

Did you factor room % availability into it? The numbers escape me currently but I’m pretty sure the # of Inside/Ocean View/Veranda rooms on the Dream class is closer in number than the Magic Class (so of the 1,250/875 rooms how many are each category)

Plus the inside rooms on the Dream class with the Magic porthole which is much more appealing than insides on the Magic class.

I look at my family and of our 7 cruises 2x 3 ships 1x1 ship of the 3 Magic Class trips (1Wonder 2 Magic) all have been ocean view. Of our 4 Dream Class (2 Dream 2 Fantasy) 1 was inside the 3 others Verandah. Our 2 upcoming cruises on Fantasy are both inside booked waiting for GTY verandas..

If you took out the most expensive CPN itineraries on each ship, how much difference would it make?

I was thinking PC cruises would bump up the Wonder’s statistics. Us that is confusing demand for the 14-night PC with cost for The 7-night Alaska itineraries.

Would love a comparison of the basic 3-, 4-, and 7- night non-specialty cruises.

NOT that YOU have to do this; just curious.

This is not a correction, but on this table, are doing cost increase from Inside to Oceanview, then Oceanview to Verandah - but then just adding those two columns to get the increase from Inside to Verandah? Does that work mathematically? Having some math fun here in my brain.

60DE2DF7-942A-4320-AF89-21A23ADE7493.jpeg

I love what you have done.

And I do pick cruises based on CPN.

Very good analysis - and a silver lining in this environment when people finally have time to do this!

Now, cost/night isn't typically a metric most people think about - at least directly - when making decisions. They will have timing, total budget, and itinerary in mind, and they will try to plan around those constraints.
Also, averages are going to hide some real differences. Magic in Europe is much more moolah than, say, Fantasy in the Caribbeans.

I assume the numbers are based on the opening-day prices? (Check out the history here: https://touringplans.com/disney-cruise-line/tools/fare-tracker). These prices start to diverge over time and can become very volatile in the last few months. I imagine only about 20% to 30% of the cabins are sold in the first few weeks, and the average ship price over the life of the booking window can skew up quite a bit.
Yeah, I'm going to work on getting price over time. That should also give me cat level data so I can slice over time more finely.

As for the averaging, yeah, it's a pain. Median and mode with standard deviations may better show distribution but I just haven't gotten around to that yet.

Last edited:
Did you factor room % availability into it? The numbers escape me currently but I’m pretty sure the # of Inside/Ocean View/Veranda rooms on the Dream class is closer in number than the Magic Class (so of the 1,250/875 rooms how many are each category)

Plus the inside rooms on the Dream class with the Magic porthole which is much more appealing than insides on the Magic class.

I look at my family and of our 7 cruises 2x 3 ships 1x1 ship of the 3 Magic Class trips (1Wonder 2 Magic) all have been ocean view. Of our 4 Dream Class (2 Dream 2 Fantasy) 1 was inside the 3 others Verandah. Our 2 upcoming cruises on Fantasy are both inside booked waiting for GTY verandas..
That's a good point. I'll see about factoring that and maybe even adding a weighting to room type. I wish I had more historical data and that would help me reverse engineer some type of pricing model.

If you took out the most expensive CPN itineraries on each ship, how much difference would it make?

I was thinking PC cruises would bump up the Wonder’s statistics. Us that is confusing demand for the 14-night PC with cost for The 7-night Alaska itineraries.

Would love a comparison of the basic 3-, 4-, and 7- night non-specialty cruises.

NOT that YOU have to do this; just curious.

This is not a correction, but on this table, are doing cost increase from Inside to Oceanview, then Oceanview to Verandah - but then just adding those two columns to get the increase from Inside to Verandah? Does that work mathematically? Having some math fun here in my brain.

View attachment 514810

I love what you have done.

And I do pick cruises based on CPN.
Thanks. For the table, that addition should work. I'll see if I can set up some more charting that I can publish. The MS tool, PowerBI, requires licensing. So does Tableau. But I'll see what I can do. With enough filters, everyone could customize a basic set of visuals and even do their own analysis.

Of course, adding the percentage would be Close Enough for Government Work, but we are talking cruise dollars here, right?

(This Is all said while laughing)

I appreciate this data. Cost per night was a big factor in my choice of our 2021 replacement cruise. Since we still don't know what cruising will be like in the next two years, I didn't want to pay a high CPN for a potentially reduced experience.

Thanks, all. I'm now wondering if Oceanview on the big ships is the best deal in general. I'm trying to come up with meta qualifiers for each cruise to classify "value". That is tough. I really need cat level $$$. Verandah includes 5, 6, and 7 and those are just SO different. More work to do.

I look at it that the Wonder and Magic's veranda rooms are not more of a price jump, it's that the inside rooms are a lot less expensive compared to those of the Dream and Fantasy.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter