What does the Fox acquisition mean for the theme parks?

WDWFantasmicFan

Uber Disney Fan
Now Disney have acquired the rights to all of Fox's television and movie franchises, it has me wondering what this could potentially mean for the theme parks in the future?

IMO, this acquisition now makes it easier for Disney to, at some point in the future, purchase the theme park rights to Marvel for the east coast, as Disney now owns more IP's that are used in Universal. Could the Marvel theme park rights be Disney's next big purchase?

Will also be interesting to see if IP's such as American Horror Story are used in next year's HHN at Universal, as they are owned by Fox (now Disney).

Exciting times ahead for The Walt Disney Company, not just in terms of the theme parks but also the movie and television industry too! Can't wait to see what Disney does with its newly acquired IP lineup!

What Fox IP's would you like to see in the parks? What rides would you like to see?

Well it will take a while before anything would come to the parks. They need to make sure the regulators approve of course. If we see any Fox properties in the parks I can't see it happening for at least 5 years from now.

Disney bought Marvel in 2009 and we first saw Marvel in the asian parks in 2016. Domestically we first saw Marvel this year.

Star Wars was already in the parks when Disney bought Lucasfilm.

Well it will take a while before anything would come to the parks. They need to make sure the regulators approve of course. If we see any Fox properties in the parks I can't see it happening for at least 5 years from now.

Disney bought Marvel in 2009 and we first saw Marvel in the asian parks in 2016. Domestically we first saw Marvel this year.

Oh yes, I don't expect to see anything (major anyway) in the parks for a good few years. And in the investors Q&A going on at the moment, Bob Iger has just said that he doesn't believe there are many park opportunities at this point.

I think this acquisition is interesting from a Marvel standpoint as doesn't Disney now own the entirety of Marvel? Surely it gives them "more of a leg to stand on" when discussing the theme park rights with Universal?

Well, Marvel characters showed up at Disneyland around 2013. Could have been a bit earlier than that

It’s the general view of many long-time, but jaded WDW fans.

We seemingly came out of a 10+ year period of cuts (little things like restaurant napkins and WDW park merchandise being branded “Disney parks”) to more visible changes like reducing evening EMH, Monorail schedules and cutting parades (MK, AK and DHS).. and when Disney spent on significant capital expenditures, we only got DVC hotel expansions, NFL (with a cute but not at all adventurous 7DMT), and $1B on FP+, and a questionable Pandora land that took forever to build.
Meanwhile, prices keep going up and up. It seems as ESPN struggles, Parks must make more $ to compensate..

Now, FoP is an absolute home run, and there are several exciting attractions being built, and a new transportation system..2020 should be a lot of fun.

Does anyone know specifics of the rights to Universal's Simpsons area? Is that something Disney could hold over their head in exchange for loosening up some of the super hero stuff?

It's a pretty big, expensive area! Be a shame if someone ... broke it.

I think the rights will come back at some stage it all depends when (and I do believe it is when rather than if now), Universal start to retheme their areas. This may allow them to extend the Nintendo themed area into the Simpson land now. I do not think it will be in the short term as there will not be much change. Medium term they will have to as the more Marvel and the Simpsons become ever more associated with Disney it will not look to good for Universal. Personally I would love Disney to use Alien and bring back Alien Encounter with Alien in it (it wont happen) but would be really cool!

Does anyone know specifics of the rights to Universal's Simpsons area? Is that something Disney could hold over their head in exchange for loosening up some of the super hero stuff?

It's a pretty big, expensive area! Be a shame if someone ... broke it.

I am not sure at all, only making speculations.

There would be something contractually that would specify the specifics relating this situation. To say that they will make Universal re theme or change the land I believe is absurd. I believe it would more likely get a large scale introduction of Disney / Fox advertising and media, before it gets removed.

The contractual agreement may have also been for a set period of time. When that time runs out the land needs to be re themed or changed, thus Disney may wait for that period to be over. I am not entirely sure.

Are there any rumors about fox characters in the park I'd be happy to see a bunch arouns but im kinda hoping the simpsons dont get in I absolutely hate them they teach children how to be abusive
Who would you want in the parks
And who would you hate to have in the park

Simpsons will not be in Disney. At least not anytime soon. Universal already has the license to feature them in their park.

Plus, I think Fox Entertainment Group retains those IPs. Only 20th Century Fox was sold, non of the other entities.

Last edited:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!