What does the Fox acquisition mean for the theme parks?

This is less about IP and the parks and really about control of media markets and streaming. I brought this up months ago, Iger has had a laser focus on this business for a while now and he wasn't/isn't leaving until it's done. He thought it would have been done before now ...which is part of the reason why he keeps "retiring". Congratulations, we all have a new streaming option in our cord-cutting efforts!

The Simpsons have an entire land in Universal. They won't be in the Disney parks any time soon.

We may start seeing more Marvel characters.

The Simpsons have an entire land in Universal. They won't be in the Disney parks any time soon.

We may start seeing more Marvel characters.
I think The Simpsons contract ends in 2027 and I think Universal will redo that area. I doubt Marvel will be at WDW more than they are now.

I am not sure at all, only making speculations.

There would be something contractually that would specify the specifics relating this situation. To say that they will make Universal re theme or change the land I believe is absurd. I believe it would more likely get a large scale introduction of Disney / Fox advertising and media, before it gets removed.

The contractual agreement may have also been for a set period of time. When that time runs out the land needs to be re themed or changed, thus Disney may wait for that period to be over. I am not entirely sure.
I read The Simpsons contract is good through 2027 and after that I would not be surprised to see that whole area redone...I seriously doubt Universal will budge on the Marvel rights...JMHO.

I don't see the need to incorporate any Fox IP into the Disney Parks besides X-men once they make their own movies and get the rights to Marvel at WDW. This doesn't seem to be an acquisition of IPs, though having the X-men characters to add to the MCU (without having to keep making Avengers movies) was probably a driving factor. Like others have said, it is just more about the future movie/streaming rights. Disney controls a lot of content now.

It's a shame they didn't do this deal before they decided to tear down Great Movie Ride, they could have just made a new version of that.

We may see a future upgrade/enhancement to Pandora now that can happen faster/easier, but I just don't see what the parks NEED.

I mean . .maybe they could finally make a 5th gate with a more adult-oriented theme parked with more adult oriented IPs, but I doubt that would happen anytime soon unless Universal gives them some pressure to expand.

Avatar is a funny one. James Cameron still owns the IP rights (so everything’s still needs to go through him) but it’s means Disney will be distributing them going forward.

I’d love a 3rd ride at Pandora but don’t see it happening

Avatar is a funny one. James Cameron still owns the IP rights (so everything’s still needs to go through him) but it’s means Disney will be distributing them going forward.

I’d love a 3rd ride at Pandora but don’t see it happening

A Pandora expansion won't be happening anytime soon but there were rumors of them expanding Pandora in the future.

A Pandora expansion won't be happening anytime soon but there were rumors of them expanding Pandora in the future.
At this point I think they wait and see how the sequels hold up. There really isn't a reason to expand before Cameron eventually gets those out in the next decade (yes I know the actual release dates are shorter than that, but we all know about Cameron and his production schedules...). There are plenty of other projects going on in the Parks between now and 2022 that I don't expect to see too much more announced inside that timeframe that we haven't kicked around already.

At this point I think they wait and see how the sequels hold up. There really isn't a reason to expand before Cameron eventually gets those out in the next decade (yes I know the actual release dates are shorter than that, but we all know about Cameron and his production schedules...). There are plenty of other projects going on in the Parks between now and 2022 that I don't expect to see too much more announced inside that timeframe that we haven't kicked around already.

Good point. I actually liked the movie Avatar but I'm very nervous that these sequels are going to flop.

I want the Simpsons. I adore them. My family adores them. They will attract that weaker middle-market for Disney - teens.

I know it is not a reality for a long time, but man...I can dream!

I would be very excited to see some of Fox's animated characters appear in the park. Anastasia, Fern Gully, Pagemaster, Ice Age, Rio, Epic, The Book of Life - these are all movies Disney will likely have the rights to, unless Blue Sky needs to be divested for monopoly reasons. I would be very excited to see them start popping up more than they currently do (which is pretty much just Netflix and Target), even if that is just some merchandise rather than getting the full Disney treatment Pixar characters have gotten.

Personally, I don't think any Fox related material ends up in Disney parks. Just gut feeling. Maybe some Marvel characters in those parks that can. But that is about it.

I seriously doubt we see Die hard movie drop ride, or Ice age spinning nut cups or such.

Now, I do see them using the content they acquired in their streaming service and in distribution of merch in other areas.

This to me was not done for Parks and rec, it was done for the films and net content.

I seriously doubt we see Die hard movie drop ride,
Don't knock it. I'd pay good money for that!

So let's see..... Haunted Mansion gets a Home Alone overlay. ToT becomes Nakatomi Plaza.

I'm liking this already!

I would be very excited to see some of Fox's animated characters appear in the park. Anastasia, Fern Gully, Pagemaster, Ice Age, Rio, Epic, The Book of Life - these are all movies Disney will likely have the rights to, unless Blue Sky needs to be divested for monopoly reasons. I would be very excited to see them start popping up more than they currently do (which is pretty much just Netflix and Target), even if that is just some merchandise rather than getting the full Disney treatment Pixar characters have gotten.

They already have FernGully in Animal Kingdom. James Cameron just refers to it as Pandora ;)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!