What East Coast Beach for a Family Vacation?

chocolateavocado

DIS Veteran
Was hoping you guys could help.....

We're going to Disney this year for Thanksgiving, but just decided (I know, very last minute), we'd like to spend a few days at a beach this summer (prob early/mid August).

We have never really been to the beach (except in Maine many years ago in off season during our honeymooon). Looking for something family friendly; definietly not a party type place. It would be me, my son (12 yrs old), my husband and father-in-law. We would be coming from northeast PA. We would be driving (because my father-in-law absolutely refuses to fly). I have been looking online a lot and am overwhelmed by the amount of choices and so many differing opinions.

Would love any recommendations on beaches you love and also hotel/resort recommendations. We could probably drive about 10-12 hours or so. Probably looking to stay 5 or 6 nights if the ride is that long. Like activites to do but would prefer to have the hotel/resort in a quieter section. I have looked online and was considering Myrtle Beach? The North Beach Plantation in North Myrtle Beach seems to get a lot of god reviews. But there are so many choices.... Myrtle Beach, VA Beach, Ocean City, Hilton Head, Outer Banks of NC...... It's a lot to try to take in when you've never been to any of them...lol

Any help or suggestions would be greatly appreciated!!! Thanks in advance!!

I recommend the Outer Banks. It's beautiful, and you can stay in a busier or not so busy area, depending on your tastes.
Or Williamsburg / Jamestown area?
I'm about a hour north of Rehoboth/Dewey/Lewes, and a bit farther from Ocean City, MD. I haven't been down there (except for work) in years. Super crowded, super busy. It's kinda trashy honestly. Well, Lewes still has a bit of charm, but still. The traffic is a nightmare. Just my 2 cents though...
If you come down Delmarva and take the bay bridge tunnel, it's $14 or $18, depending on when (peak pricing) each way, but might be interesting for your son if he's into that sorta thing.

Or perhaps head north and check out the Finger Lakes?

Have fun planning, and safe travels.

My kids love Myrtle Beach. There's a ton to do, but if you aim for North Myrtle Beach, it's a little quieter. There's also a ton of non-beachy things to do. We're geeky, so we're partial to escape rooms. DS13 LOVES Wonderworks--warning, though, it's very loud and stimulating inside (my Asperger's son had to leave).

If you just want a beach experience that's less touristy, Outer Banks gets good reviews. I've never actually been, because we live further down the coast--when we want to go to the beach, we just drive 10-15 minutes. Just so you know, out-of-staters visit the Outer Banks, in-staters visit Wrightsville Beach, and locals go to Carolina Beach. You'll find us at Carolina Beach--it has a small boardwalk, several restaurants, shops, and most important (to us), a beach where you can park ON the beach and take your dog year-round. If you decide to go to Carolina Beach, stop by Brit's doughnuts--they were voted #2 in the nation!

I recommend Hilton Head if you're looking for a less-touristy, more low key beach vacation. You can rent houses or condos, but you won't find any high rises or any super commercial areas. It really is all about the beach! Renting bikes is really popular and an easy way to get around. We grew up staying in the Sea Pines area which is home to the Salty Dog Cafe, an iconic HH restaurant & bar, and some really cute waterfront shops.

It's only about 1.5-2 hours from Myrtle Beach, but I'd pretty much consider them exact opposite beach vacations!

I love the Outer Banks, some of my very favorite vacations but it's a long drive (I'm in NJ). I've stayed in Corrolla and Kitty Hawk. I'd recommend both towns. The Jersey shore has some great towns too. I'd suggest Long Beach Island, specifically Beach Haven. It's a quiet town with some great restaurants, good beaches, has cute shops, and has a small amusement area. Or Ocean City, NJ. OC has great beaches and a fun boardwalk with amusement rides, restaurants, shops and it's a dry town so it's not as crazy as some of the other shore towns.

My kids love Myrtle Beach. There's a ton to do, but if you aim for North Myrtle Beach, it's a little quieter. There's also a ton of non-beachy things to do. We're geeky, so we're partial to escape rooms. DS13 LOVES Wonderworks--warning, though, it's very loud and stimulating inside (my Asperger's son had to leave).

If you just want a beach experience that's less touristy, Outer Banks gets good reviews. I've never actually been, because we live further down the coast--when we want to go to the beach, we just drive 10-15 minutes. Just so you know, out-of-staters visit the Outer Banks, in-staters visit Wrightsville Beach, and locals go to Carolina Beach. You'll find us at Carolina Beach--it has a small boardwalk, several restaurants, shops, and most important (to us), a beach where you can park ON the beach and take your dog year-round. If you decide to go to Carolina Beach, stop by Brit's doughnuts--they were voted #2 in the nation!

I agree with most of this! Myrtle Beach has tons to do but is crazy crowded in August unless you can go at the very end - NC schools start the end of August and SC schools start a little earlier. North Myrtle is close enough for easy access but is quieter.

The Outer Banks are gorgeous and are best for a quiet vacation - there is stuff to do around Nags Head and Kitty Hawk, but the Outer Banks are mostly quiet - maybe too quiet for a 12 year old.

We are partial to Wrightsville Beach because it is ten minutes from us, but if you go to Wrightsville, stay where you can walk to the beach or be prepared to get there before 10:00 or after 3:00 each day. Wrightsville Beach has some great restaurants and nice shops and a farmers market on Mondays, and Wilmington adds the battleship, Airlie Gardens, mini golf, go carts, escape rooms, shopping, the Riverwalk and lots of restaurants.

I don't love the Carolina Beach area, but Britt's doughnuts is worth the drive. And Carolina Beach and Topsail Beach are definitely more dog-friendly than Wrightsville Beach in the summer.

Other nice beaches are Topsail, Surf City, Southport, Oak Island and Bald Head Island. Going to Southport/Fort Fisher includes a ferry ride, and the aquarium is close by. It's also not far to Myrtle Beach for a day trip. Bald Head is also by ferry, except that no cars are allowed on the island and people get around by golf cart.

Thanks, everyone for all of the great suggestions and replies!! I truly apprecaite the help and all of your insight/experiences! :)

I agree with most of this! Myrtle Beach has tons to do but is crazy crowded in August unless you can go at the very end - NC schools start the end of August and SC schools start a little earlier. North Myrtle is close enough for easy access but is quieter.

The Outer Banks are gorgeous and are best for a quiet vacation - there is stuff to do around Nags Head and Kitty Hawk, but the Outer Banks are mostly quiet - maybe too quiet for a 12 year old.

We are partial to Wrightsville Beach because it is ten minutes from us, but if you go to Wrightsville, stay where you can walk to the beach or be prepared to get there before 10:00 or after 3:00 each day. Wrightsville Beach has some great restaurants and nice shops and a farmers market on Mondays, and Wilmington adds the battleship, Airlie Gardens, mini golf, go carts, escape rooms, shopping, the Riverwalk and lots of restaurants.

I don't love the Carolina Beach area, but Britt's doughnuts is worth the drive. And Carolina Beach and Topsail Beach are definitely more dog-friendly than Wrightsville Beach in the summer.

Other nice beaches are Topsail, Surf City, Southport, Oak Island and Bald Head Island. Going to Southport/Fort Fisher includes a ferry ride, and the aquarium is close by. It's also not far to Myrtle Beach for a day trip. Bald Head is also by ferry, except that no cars are allowed on the island and people get around by golf cart.
Howdy, neighbor! We're in Pine Valley.

We like Wrightsville Beach fine (except for the parking!), but tend to go there only in the off-season--mostly because the dog loves the beach so much, it seems mean to leave her home. We have a beach parking pass at Carolina Beach. There's more in the area of Wrightsville, but it depends if you're looking for quiet or activities.

Ocean City, NJ is the number one family beach town. It’s dry (you can buy liquor, wine and beer off of the island and bring it with you if you want). The beaches are clean, and the boardwalk has plenty to do (rides, stores, a water park, etc).

We owned a house there for many years and happy family memories of our time there. You can also visit other shore points for day trips (Cape May, etc).

I love the Outer Banks, some of my very favorite vacations but it's a long drive (I'm in NJ). I've stayed in Corrolla and Kitty Hawk. I'd recommend both towns. The Jersey shore has some great towns too. I'd suggest Long Beach Island, specifically Beach Haven. It's a quiet town with some great restaurants, good beaches, has cute shops, and has a small amusement area. Or Ocean City, NJ. OC has great beaches and a fun boardwalk with amusement rides, restaurants, shops and it's a dry town so it's not as crazy as some of the other shore towns.
Ocean City, NJ is my favorite. Very family oriented. I do not recommend anywhere in Virginia--so many better options. I've been to the Outer Banks a few times and it underwhelms me but I'm not the sit at the beach type.
Ocean City, NJ is the number one family beach town. It’s dry (you can buy liquor, wine and beer off of the island and bring it with you if you want). The beaches are clean, and the boardwalk has plenty to do (rides, stores, a water park, etc).

We owned a house there for many years and happy family memories of our time there. You can also visit other shore points for day trips (Cape May, etc).

Thank you all for the recommendations on Ocean City, NJ. It looks like that area has alot of fans :)

Do any of you have any recommendations of where you stayed (hotelt, etc) and liked there?

Thank you all for the recommendations on Ocean City, NJ. It looks like that area has alot of fans :)

Do any of you have any recommendations of where you stayed (hotelt, etc) and liked there?

I’d recommend renting a house if possible. We like the quieter parts of the island (away from the boardwalk). The area north of 4th St is known as The Gardens. That’s where our house was. It’s a lovely location- quiet and peaceful yet close to the beach.

If you prefer to be where the action is, look between 5th St and 15th St. it’s definitely busier (but still family friendly) and street parking is challenging in this area.

I grew up in Maryland so we went to Ocean City MD almost every year until I was a late teen. It's definitely very built up, closer you are to the boardwalk, tackier it can get. I still enjoy it once every 5 years or so but I think mostly for specific nostalgia purposes (Dumser's ice cream, Thrasher's fries, boardwalk haunted house/rides, Jolly Rogers, mini golf).

My "aunt" (my mom's close childhood friend) has a house in Wildwood NJ since I was a kid that she still spends at least 2 weeks a month at. I was there once but don't remember too much, but they seem to love it.

Nowadays we enjoy Outer Banks, mostly Corolla.... I am not a huge sit on the beach all day person myself but it has a higher quality vibe, the beach isn't littered with cigarette butts, it's more peaceful. We bike ride all over in the early mornings and late evenings. We go check out the light houses, go to the sound side walking paths, drive into the main land and go to the aquarium. We also get up early and drive on the 4x4 beach to look for the wild horses. If you don't have a 4x4 vehicle there are Jeep tours you can take that will take you around to see the horses. Summer can be pretty busy but aside from the traffic on the main drag coming in on your check-in day, still manageable. Of course my favorite time to be there is actually October -- off-season, a lot of things are closed, but it's like having your own private beach, and cooler weather.

We always stayed at the Port O'Call until we started renting a house (further South I think toward the end of the Boardwalk).

My sister was married on LBI. It is nice. We did a family vaca there the following year. They have plans to buy a shore house someday...

As for the others mentioned....I took my kids to MB last year and they loved it. We also do Atlantic Beach and Emerald Isle in NC (my boyfriend lived there). I'm debating between Wrightsville and OB when I'm there in 2 weeks. I've never done the banks.....We'll see.

I recommend Hilton Head if you're looking for a less-touristy, more low key beach vacation. You can rent houses or condos, but you won't find any high rises or any super commercial areas. It really is all about the beach! Renting bikes is really popular and an easy way to get around. We grew up staying in the Sea Pines area which is home to the Salty Dog Cafe, an iconic HH restaurant & bar, and some really cute waterfront shops.

It's only about 1.5-2 hours from Myrtle Beach, but I'd pretty much consider them exact opposite beach vacations!
I hate the beach but grew up going to the beach in Sea Pines because that's where my grandparents retired. It's literally the only beach that I've ever wanted to spend any time at. Like previous posters have mentioned, some are a bit too touristy/trashy, but HHI has always been fun and more nature friendly. There's a lot of cool things to do like dolphin cruises, but also the side of the island that's not facing the ocean has some really cool wildlife. So hopefully my stamp of approval from someone who hates going to the beach can sway you!

If you don't want to drive far, Cape May, NJ is wonderful and very family friendly.

My Kids loved Cape may and really really loved Wildwood boardwalk. We rented a trailer that was set up in a park near wildwood for a few days... and went to Philly for a day, It was a good vacation.
My kids still talk about it today.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!