What exactly were they doing to POFQ?

gabylin

<font color=navy>Has a goal<br><font color=violet>
Hi there,
I just booked 3 of my 10 days at POFQ for July( I'm very excited!)
Does anyone know what work was being done while it was closed? My sister and family stayed at POR last year and it looks like such a peaceful resort. Also if anyone has a good map so I can look at the grounds at POFQ, I'm trying to get an idea where the parking lots are but its not clearly stated on the maps I have seen. Is there a parking lot by every BLDG.? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

They didn't Do anything to POFQ while it was closed - it was not a rehab. It closed because bookings were very low at the end of last year and it was not cost-effective to have all those rooms open. Many buildings at other resorts were also closed, but POFQ was the only one to completely close.

The parking lot is along the entire front length of the resort. IF you look at the map the DIS has: http://www.wdwinfo.com/resortmaps/portorleans.jpg , the parking is all along the bottom of the map. This is plenty close to all the rooms, so no need to worry about that. That map mentions Bonfamilles' Cafe - that restuarant is closed (much to my dismay, I loved it there), but the food court is open. If you want table service then you have to walk over to Riverside - which is a nice walk.

The plus is that the boat service to Marketplace is back in operation!

-Kim

Thanks Kim,
I appreciate the quick response and the link. I'm really looking forward to these 3 days! Thanks again for the info.

Hello,
When POFQ closed my TA switched us to Riverside, now that it is opening back up again, I'm wondering if I should try to switch back. Originally wanted FQ because my DD loved the dragon slide pool. But when I started researching Riverside it looked very nice too. Opinions anyone?! thanks !

Stay at Riverside - you can always walk down to FQ and use the pool. Riverside has a pool silde too though. The rooms are pretty much the same (different decor), and it will be a new experience.

-Kim

Housemouse - the POR pool and slide is actually much nicer than the Dragon slide at POFQ. It does not look as good in pictures but it is a much better slide and the pool at POR is much bigger.

We have stayed at both. I think it depends on what you want. Both have different strengths.

The POFQ is smaller than Riverside (1000 rooms vs. over 2000). It is much "quicker" to navigate the resort. If anyone in your party has a difficult time walking distances then the POFQ might be the best option. I also think it is better for younger kids. It hs large courtyards of grass that kids can play on, if they want to do that. Most are located directly outside one of the buildings. The playground is also much better suited to younger kids (5 and under) as the one at Riverside is more rustic and more challenging in regards to climbing, dirt, etc. POFQ is on mat type material where Riverside is on dirt. The pool at POFQ is also very appealing to younger kids. The slide is not as long and windy and the theming for it is very nice. They only have one pool, though, while Riverside has the main pool plus quiet pools, too. As far as the food court, we typically like the one at Riverside better. However, the one at the POFQ has been refurbished so I'm not sure if that will be the same.

Also, in regards to transportation. POFQ is the first stop for you to get on and the the first stop for you to get off. If it is busy sometimes the buses go directly to the parks without going to PORiverside. If not, the bus will stop at FQ first and then make the rounds at Riverside. Riverside has four different bus stops. We prefer FQ since we have a young one and it is very nice to be the first off at night.

Riverside has a sit-down restaurant and FQ does not. So, if you prefer that then Riverside is probably best. Also, Riverside has a fishing hole that the kids can use for a price. If you stay at FQ then you can walk over and use it too. Finally, all the bikes, boats, etc. rentals are at Riverside. You use them at both resorts but you must pick up and drop off at Riverside.

We prefer FQ better because of its size. Seems a little more intimate and not at big. If you like remote and don't mind the walk then Riverside is also good. There are a few buildings that are centrally located but there is no guarantee you will be in them. At FQ most buildings are pretty centrally located since it is smaller.

You will like either resort. They are both great.

FQ is also our favorite. We like the smallness of it and the one bus stop - which picks up first before the multiple bus stops at POR. We first stayed at FQ on our honeymoon, and the next trip stayed at CBR. CBR was too spread out for us and we seemed to wait forever at the bus stop. After the first few times a bus going to the park we wanted passed us by at CBR because it was already full of people, the value of the one bus stop at FQ became crystal clear!

Tigger 22:D

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter