What grocery store does everyone like to use near the Fort?

The easiest one we have found is a Publix. When you come out of The Fort turn left, go until dead end, left again and Publix is down a few miles on left. Best thing is there is minimal traffic here.
We’ve been from Washington to Florida in our rig this past year and Publix is by far our favorite grocery store. So neat that there will be one nearby. 😊

I'm going to be the diverse voice in this post.

That Publix is WAY down the road (it's on our alternate route out of town headed home).

There are two Publix on Hwy 192 in east and west Kissimmee that are equivalent time wise (less than three minutes) one in each direction less than 20 minutes from the Fort. And one out at Regency.

There are also two Wal-Mart Supercenters within 20 minutes of the Fort (one on Hwy 192 West and the other southeast of the Fort on Vineland Road (my store of choice)).

Bottom line there are 4 Pubx and 2 WMSC all within 20 minutes of the Fort front entrance. So distance is a non-distinguishing factor.

Other than the "Goodings" grocery in the plaza across Hwy 535 from Disney Springs, nothing is "close". The others (various Publix and Wal-Marts) are all within 5 minutes of each other. The stores figured out decades ago that proximity equates to price. The closer to Disney, the more things cost. So the question is, how much cash you got?

We have both Publix and WMSC here at home. I shop the WMSC for price and wider variety of non-grocery items I might need and if you want high levels of service on grocery only then Publix is your go-to. Each have the same quality produce/meats/etc (and I've worked at a grocery store) but it's whatever you prefer: higher prices/more service or lower prices/less service.

Not trying to be difficult but there are choices just like at home in terms of cost/service. Food is food.

And google maps is your friend for all above.

Bama Ed

PS - and when we need just groceries, we use the Winn Dixie on Apopka Vineland Road. Among the closest grocery stores to the Fort.

Last edited:
I here they uild an aldies nearby also, its not everyone's type of store but its small and easy to navigate. I will probably go to the wall mart myself, as its more familiar then a publex. Theres non of those by me. I also prefer the wall mart as of you forget something, tou can get it there.

I here they uild an aldies nearby also, its not everyone's type of store but its small and easy to navigate. I will probably go to the wall mart myself, as its more familiar then a publex. Theres non of those by me. I also prefer the wall mart as of you forget something, tou can get it there.
We love ALDI. We do about 75-80% of our grocery shopping there. I am going to have to figure out where it is in Orlando.
When we used to stay offsite, we always went to the Publix on Vineland. I’m surprised to hear it’s considered to be one of the closer grocery stores. We have always found what we needed there in the past. We have food allergies, so finding what we need can sometimes be difficult when traveling.

PS - and when we need just groceries, we use the Winn Dixie on Apopka Vineland Road. Among the closest grocery stores to the Fort.

WD is where we do all our grocery shopping when at FW. I have one locally, and worked for them for several years as did my father for 30+ years so as much a location thing as dedication. Also, I have my WD card so I get better deals. I'm being honest, when it comes to meat, WD has WM beaten by a mile, however, if you also need non-grocery items then WM is the better option.

Just my input.

WD is where we do all our grocery shopping when at FW. I have one locally, and worked for them for several years as did my father for 30+ years so as much a location thing as dedication. Also, I have my WD card so I get better deals. I'm being honest, when it comes to meat, WD has WM beaten by a mile, however, if you also need non-grocery items then WM is the better option.

Just my input.
If you have the time and want to see a back stage part of DW, exit the fort and take the road past the Contempory Resort north. You will see some backlot stuff that is interesting. You can connect to Vineland near Publix. We found it kind of neat to see. One of the interesting things was the parking garage and shop for the monorails.

Publix is a nice store but you will pay for that experience. There are two Walmarts nearby, one is nice and one is trashy. I don't know what road the nicer one is one but I'm sure Google does.

I find that Publix doesn’t always have a wide selection and the prices aren’t great. The stores are usually really nice. Last time I went to Publix I had to stop at another store to finish my shopping. If you need a few basic items, you should be fine. Fans of Publix rave about their bakery and ready made food (specifically fried chicken and sub sandwiches)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter