What GV would you suggest?

disneyatheart2

Disney At Heart
Hello everyone,

As a birthday gift to our soon- to- be 16 year old son, we would like to give him an invitation to take 8 of his friends to WDW, or even to VB or HH in August 2014 for one week. DH, 11 year old DS, and myself will be going too.

These boys have been friends since 6 years of age and have been swimming together competitively since 8, and are now national swimmers; thus their time off from swimming is very limited to 1 week in mid August. Soon they will be going their separate ways for college.:sad:

We have a BCV contract and we would need to borrow points from 2015 to do this. BCV does not have a GV, so we won't be able to reserve any GV's until the 7 month window.

Do you have any suggestions as to recommendations for the best GV, or suggestions on how we can fit a party of 12 in a 2 bedroom at BCV? Any tips on how to transfer or rent points?

Thank you in advance!:)

At WDW -Jambo. It has an extra pool table room, although VGF has a home theatre room...

Although a VB beach cottage would probably be awesome.

For the points value, you can't beat OKW. Size-wise as well.

SSR is more, but that added entry on the second floor is nice.

And at 7 months these are probably the best shot at getting a GV since the resorts are so big.

I think the boys would love the pool table, this would be my 1st thought.
(AK) only at JH not Kid

2rd BLT it is unique, and they can mono rail to GF/Poly and walk to MK.

I would think SSR should be available at 7 months, but the others might be hit and miss.

Your decision will be based on what is available at 7 months. You also need to have a plan in case none are available.

:earsboy: Bill

Worst situation, you book a one bedroom for you, husband and younger son and two studios for your older son and his friends. Ask they they be close together. One kid would need to be booked in your room, but sleep on the floor in one of the studios. Maybe they could swap out who slept on the floor.

We had an OKW GV in June 2011 for our son and eight of his friends (and the two of us). But we own at OKW, so we booked it at eleven months out. One of his friends had to leave two days early to go to orientation, so we bumped the trip by two days so she could get more days with the rest of the kids. But even that was long before seven months out.

We drove down in two cars and a Uhaul trailer for the luggage. They planned all their own days and meals, except for one breakfast at Chef Mickey's that I planned for all of us.

Make sure they understand the rules of timesharing (no clean towels every day, no bed making, clean up after yourself). The girls in our group were pigs and I had to gather up their towels on Trash and Towel day because I didn't want the housekeeper to see the mess. But they cleaned it up before we left. So no mess left behind.

Thank you everyone for your input! Please keep your suggestions and comments coming;)

I went to the DVC website to look for actual pictures of the GV's. The only thing I could find was the floor plans.

Does anyone know of a link of actual pictures of the GV's? I searched this forum for pictures and nothing was found.

Thank you again!:)

Thank you everyone for your input! Please keep your suggestions and comments coming;)

I went to the DVC website to look for actual pictures of the GV's. The only thing I could find was the floor plans.

Does anyone know of a link of actual pictures of the GV's? I searched this forum for pictures and nothing was found.

Thank you again!:)

Try this website:

allears.net

Good luck . . . sounds like a great time! Hopefully we can do this for our DS7 when he is in high school!

Maybe book a 2 bedroom & studio at BCV. That way you will at least have something booked for your dates. Put all the kids in 2 bedroom and you, your husband & other child in studio.

Decide in order what GV's you want to try for. You may not have a choice, but in case you do, it will be nice to know ahead of time what the GV's look like.

Book right at 7 month mark.

Good luck!

For the points value, you can't beat OKW. Size-wise as well.

SSR is more, but that added entry on the second floor is nice.

And at 7 months these are probably the best shot at getting a GV since the resorts are so big.

OKW for sure. We've done exactly what you want to do (twice) but substitute our daughters for your son. Worked out very well. :thumbsup2

At BLT even with a 2BR and studio the boys would all have beds at BLT as a 2BR sleeps 9. The GVs at BLT are nice but very expensive point wise.

Maybe book a 2 bedroom & studio at BCV. That way you will at least have something booked for your dates. Put all the kids in 2 bedroom and you, your husband & other child in studio.

Decide in order what GV's you want to try for. You may not have a choice, but in case you do, it will be nice to know ahead of time what the GV's look like.

Book right at 7 month mark.

Good luck!

That would be my suggestion as well. As for WHICH GV...Beyond what is available, I would choose OKW for the size and good bus service. OUr experience is that it takes over all much less time to get to the parks from there. PLUS...teens seem to really love OKW. The point cost is much less there as well, which in my opinion is a MAJOR plus! Don't really care for the SSR GV's but they would work well for your group because the teens could all take the two upstairs bedrooms and you, DH and other son could have the downstairs. This would be the arrangement at OKW as well unless the teens aren't interested in bed sharing.

Someone has already suggested Jambo for the extra pool table room, and while I think that would be amazing too, I kind of think the things most of us love about AKV might be lost on a bunch of boys that age who might feel isolated so far from DTD and other night spots.

Another good option is a 2 bedroom at OKW for the boys (sleeps 9) and a studio for the rest of your family.

Does an adult need to be in the room with the teenagers? We stayed in an OKW GV with 7 girls and our son. The girls occupied the upstairs bedrooms, our son slept on the couch, and we had the Master BR. The 4th bathroom is convenient for the person in the living room. August is a slower time for DVC and if you book at exactly 7 months you may just get a GV.

If you are going to give him the choice, I'd suggesting renting points and then renting out your points - Grand Villas go fast at a lot of the resorts - and my almost sixteen year old wouldn't really understand "its booked."

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter