what happens if I cancel?

daisyx3

DIS Veteran
OK, first off forgive me if I could look this up in my paperwork myself, but so much is going on right now. For various reasons I want to change our cruise vacation to a WDW land vacation. The night before is a DVC stay in a Poly studio. I am pricing out 4 nights at a resort after that (I want to save our points for 2021) but the thought came to me, could I just cancel the night at the Poly and get 5 nights at a resort so we don't have to move?
It is 2019 points and the stay is at the end of May if that makes a difference. Would they go into holding, or back into my points, which I would bank into next use year?
Thanks.

Points only go into holding if you cancel 30 days or less from your check in date.

Canceling now there will be no penalty. Since you will be keeping that original date, just changing resorts, you won’t have a problem still using them.

Awesome. That's what I thought! It would be easier to not move. However, now I'm also thinking keep that Poly room the first night (we have Villains After Hours tickets) and then switch the next day to something closer to the Studios/Epcot. Decisions! Thanks for the help!

Just be aware of your banking deadline if you cancel, if you are using 2019 points in May of 2020, I assume your UY is June or later, so you are fine, just be mindful. (June would have to be banked by 1/31

If it were me, I would factor in arrival time. for one night at a DVC resort, I want to arrive early on day 1, and get 2 days of resort amenities, but that is just my preference. That being said, I almost always arrive very late, like midnight, and I never use points for my first night, i pay cash since all that is needed is a bed for a few hours.

Just be aware of your banking deadline if you cancel, if you are using 2019 points in May of 2020, I assume your UY is June or later, so you are fine, just be mindful. (June would have to be banked by 1/31

If it were me, I would factor in arrival time. for one night at a DVC resort, I want to arrive early on day 1, and get 2 days of resort amenities, but that is just my preference. That being said, I almost always arrive very late, like midnight, and I never use points for my first night, i pay cash since all that is needed is a bed for a few hours.

I tried that once with a late arrival and kudos to you for being able to, I hated being homeless for 5 hours after having arrived so late,

Now, if I am forced to get in late, I just bite the bullet! Lol

One reason to keep what you have and do a split stay is if you want to use the dining plan for your first part of the stay. We normally arrive late on the first day and therefore we only need a room, so we get the deluxe plan including mug.

We use the credits on checkout day and the mugs are good for 14 days or until end of stay so we can use the them for the last part of our stay.

True we are “homeless” for a few hours when we checkout the day after arrival but if you are in the parks etc you might not really notice it.

We use our credits for a late character breakfast, lunch and dinner which for us is a great start for a Disney vacation.

We get in fairly early on day 1 but we usually pack our suits and hit the pool or go to MK.
There is availability at the Poly itself so we may just switch to a regular room there, which would make it really easy.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter