What happens to points when I cancel a reservation

hhoman

Mouseketeer
Hi, I am a new DVC member and have a question.

Let's say I have 100 points carried over from last year

I book my home resort at 11 months at 175 points points

At 7 months I cancel the home resort and book a new hotel at 110 points at the same time.

Can I now bank the 65 points to the next year? Or are these points now locked into the current year?

Thank you for your help

The computers are set to pull the "oldest" points first, though if one has multiple contracts they must choose the contracts with the banked or borrowed points in order to make sure they are used.

Points can only be moved once, IOW if your rez had banked points, when you cancel it the banked points will go right back to the use year to which they were banked. And the current year's points (not banked/borrowed) go right back into your account as well. As long as you are within your banking window you may bank any current years points. Hope that makes sense! Welcome home!

The system is set up to pull the "most restricted" points first, not the "oldest." In your example, yes, the 65 points returned would be the current-year points and could be banked as long as you aren't past your banking deadline.

I was told by DVC management that points are used in this order, banked, transferred, borrowed.

Once you bank or borrow, the points stay in the UY that you moved them to.

:earsboy: Bill

Thank you this helps a lot. If it's ok can you help with one more example.

I have 100 points that are for this year.

I book a resort for 110 points. So 10 points are borrowed from the next year.

Now I cancel them and book a resort for 90 points.

Now what happens to the 20 points left over? Can I bank all 20? Or are the 10 points that were borrowed stuck?

Now what happens to the 20 points left over? Can I bank all 20? Or are the 10 points that were borrowed stuck?
In your example, the 10 points you borrowed would be still in this year, but they would be applied to your 90 point reservation, so you need 10 borrowed points and 80 points from this year to make the ressie. This leaves 20 points you can bank to next year.

It depends on the year. If the trip falls into one UY and you had to borrow, you cannot put the borrowed points back. And if you are past your banking deadline, you cannot bank the point.

So add your UY and the dates of your trip to the question and you get a better answer. The 100 points you talk about might be current UY points depending on your UY. UY can throw off your thinking until you really understand it.

It depends on the year. If the trip falls into one UY and you had to borrow, you cannot put the borrowed points back. And if you are past your banking deadline, you cannot bank the point.

So add your UY and the dates of your trip to the question and you get a better answer. The 100 points you talk about might be current UY points depending on your UY. UY can throw off your thinking until you really understand it.
Because we're talking about changes at seven months, it's impossible to be past the banking deadline for those points. If we were talking about a last minute waitlist, that (and holding points) could be a concern.

he system is set up to pull the "most restricted" points first, not the "oldest."

Because we're talking about changes at seven months, it's impossible to be past the banking deadline for those points. If we were talking about a last minute waitlist, that (and holding points) could be a concern.

When I used the term, "oldest" points perhaps that wasn't the most accurate, but banked points, which certainly are restricted, would be the "oldest" points. The system is set to pull the points that would need to be used first.

The 11 & 7 month booking windows have little to nothing to do with banking windows as banking windows are tied to each member's use year. One could be booking at their 7 month booking window but be past their banking window. Or vice versa. People get confused about this and their use year beginnings all the time. I have repeatedly heard people talk about having to wait until their use year begins to book. Nope. You just need to be within your booking windows. Use year impacts banking windows. And of course one must take into account what use year the rez they are booking falls into. Seems confusing, but it's really not.

When I used the term, "oldest" points perhaps that wasn't the most accurate, but banked points, which certainly are restricted, would be the "oldest" points. The system is set to pull the points that would need to be used first.
Very true; but just making the point that borrowed and, if applicable, holding points would be used before current-year points. You'll never be in a situation where you'd get more-restrictive points returned with less-restrictive points have been used.
The 11 & 7 month booking windows have little to nothing to do with banking windows as banking windows are tied to each member's use year. One could be booking at their 7 month booking window but be past their banking window.
That's irrelevant. If you're past your banking window and booking at 7 months, then you're booking in your next use year. It's impossible to be past your banking window when booking at 7 months, because those points must already be valid for the reservation.

I was told by DVC management that points are used in this order, banked, transferred, borrowed.

Once you bank or borrow, the points stay in the UY that you moved them to.

:earsboy: Bill
Very useful info. Thanks! Transferred points include one-time use, correct?

That's irrelevant. If you're past your banking window and booking at 7 months, then you're booking in your next use year. It's impossible to be past your banking window when booking at 7 months, because those points must already be valid for the reservation.

Technically that is partially true. What newer members need to understand is that you can be in one use year and booking in the next use year, IOW I can be at the end of my use year, well past my banking window and have no problem booking at either my 11 month or 7 month window. I just need to have the required points for that rez in the use year to which the actual reservation dates falls. AND members can borrow from the use year AHEAD of the use year which their vacations dates are in.

The points made by all the veteran members here including myself is that planning well in advance is much to any DVC Members' advantage. That way you know what use year your next desired vacation falls in, and whether points may or may not need to be banked or borrowed to complete the same. And regardless of what a member's use year is, they still can always book at the 11 & 7 month window according to their home resort(s) priority.

Technically that is partially true. What newer members need to understand is that you can be in one use year and booking in the next use year, IOW I can be at the end of my use year, well past my banking window and have no problem booking at either my 11 month or 7 month window. I just need to have the required points for that rez in the use year to which the actual reservation dates falls. AND members can borrow from the use year AHEAD of the use year which their vacations dates are in.

The points made by all the veteran members here including myself is that planning well in advance is much to any DVC Members' advantage. That way you know what use year your next desired vacation falls in, and whether points may or may not need to be banked or borrowed to complete the same. And regardless of what a member's use year is, they still can always book at the 11 & 7 month window according to their home resort(s) priority.
Holy Mackeral! I thought I was smart, but apparently I was wrong, I am now TOTALLY confused :crazy2:
Maybe someone can draw a chart? _________ 2018 __________2019 __________2020 no assume there are 90 points in each on a 90 point contract. You book a room at 11 mnths in 2019 for 100 pts using 90 banked from '18 and 10 from '19.... you then cancel at 7 months (again this is in 2019) and want to rebook with 100 pts. will the pts be used be the 90 banked in '18 plus 10 from '19? if so, would the remaining 80 from 19 be 'frozen' in '19 or could they be banked to 2020?

Holy Mackeral! I thought I was smart, but apparently I was wrong, I am now TOTALLY confused :crazy2:
Maybe someone can draw a chart? _________ 2018 __________2019 __________2020 no assume there are 90 points in each on a 90 point contract. You book a room at 11 mnths in 2019 for 100 pts using 90 banked from '18 and 10 from '19.... you then cancel at 7 months (again this is in 2019) and want to rebook with 100 pts. will the pts be used be the 90 banked in '18 plus 10 from '19? if so, would the remaining 80 from 19 be 'frozen' in '19 or could they be banked to 2020?
Banking and borrowing are final transactions. The points are then locked in that use year.

Banking and borrowing are final transactions. The points are then locked in that use year.
So you are saying the answer is the banked points from 2018 would automatically be used first, but the points you used in 2019 were NOT borrowed, they were just used 'normally' in that year anyway, so they were really never moved. In that case, couldn't the 2019 points be banked into 2020 (since they were never borrowed NOR banked), but merely 'used and then unused ' in the same year?

Last edited:
So you are saying the answer is the banked points from 2018 would automatically be used first, but the points you used in 2019 were NOT borrowed, they were just used 'normally' in that year anyway, so they were really never moved. In that case, couldn't the 209 points be banked into 2020 (since they were never borrowed NOR banked), but merely 'used and then unused ' in the same year?
To be used in a different use year, the points were banked or borrowed. They can’t be moved again. Only the 90 current-year points that were released by cancelling the reservation can be banked.

I think you’re confusing the booking window with the use year. They are not directly related. If you’re trying to say that you want to book a room in 2020 with points banked from 2018, that is not possible. Well, maybe from a calendar year perspective but. It a use year perspective, and since you didn’t include a specific use year, I’m assuming the years are use years in your example, not calendar years.

Points are pulled from the use year based on the date of the stay, not the date you originally go online or call to make the reservation.

Easiest way for me to think about it...especially since I know have 3 UY's!! First, figure out UY of trip. When you book that trip, you can "pay" for it with banked points from the UY prior to the trip, points from the UY of the trip, and borrow points for the UY after the trip. If one has to cancel the trip, then everything will be returned to the account in the way it was as part of the reservation...so banked and borrowed points will remain banked/borrowed into the UY of the trip. If one changes the original reservation, then they system will take banked points first, borrowed points next, and fill in the remainder of the trip with points from the UY of travel. If one cancels, changes within 31 days of the trip, any points not used are now holding points. That means they expire at the end of the UY of the trip, and can only be used to book reservations 60 days or less from check in. If one cancels/changes more than 30 days out, then any points from the UY of travel (that were not banked/borrowed) can be banked into the next UY providing one is still within the banking window!!

Easiest way for me to think about it...especially since I know have 3 UY's!! First, figure out UY of trip. When you book that trip, you can "pay" for it with banked points from the UY prior to the trip, points from the UY of the trip, and borrow points for the UY after the trip. If one has to cancel the trip, then everything will be returned to the account in the way it was as part of the reservation...so banked and borrowed points will remain banked/borrowed into the UY of the trip. If one changes the original reservation, then they system will take banked points first, borrowed points next, and fill in the remainder of the trip with points from the UY of travel. If one cancels, changes within 31 days of the trip, any points not used are now holding points. That means they expire at the end of the UY of the trip, and can only be used to book reservations 60 days or less from check in. If one cancels/changes more than 30 days out, then any points from the UY of travel (that were not banked/borrowed) can be banked into the next UY providing one is still within the banking window!!
Thanks, this really helps

Hi, I have another cancel/points use question -
I am currently waitlisting one night to fill in a week at BLT and also holding a weeklong reservation at BWV with a combination of ~100 banked + ~120 current points for the same time. I have 0 points left in current UY. The BLT waitlist says to cancel the entire BWV reservation if it comes through. So am I correct that the system would NOT borrow any points, but would just use some of the banked points from the now-canceled BWV reservation, and the remainder of the points from the canceled BWV reservation would just go back to the current UY?

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!