What happens to uncollect bibs?

Twilight Terror

DIS Veteran
Hello, I was just wondering what happens to the spaces created at a runDisney event, where someone has registered, but does not (for whatever reason) turn up and collect their bib? If there any way to take their space?

I am only asking as I was supposed to be joining my mum and sister for the 5K in January, but was in the process of starting a new job. By the time my first pay came threw, which was only a matter of days after they purchased, the 5K had sold out. So I will be at the expo with them to collect their bibs, and wonder if there was anyway I could get an uncollected one?

Thanks

Nope, you cannot take someone else's bib. If someone doesn't show they don't show simple as that. Disney already has their money at that point so Disney doesn't really care.

Nope, you cannot take someone else's bib. If someone doesn't show they don't show simple as that. Disney already has their money at that point so Disney doesn't really care.

Thanks for the quick response. I just wondered in case Disney liked to double dip! I know they already have their money, just wondered if they would scrounge for more. Looks like I am relegated to the life of a supporter then :(

You can always see if one of the travel agents listed on the RunDisney website still has a 5K bib. The TAs are listed on the registration page. These bibs sometimes come with requirements like buy a park ticket or a one night hotel stay. Also, there are still charity providers listed that might have bibs available.

No guarantees but, it’s worth a look if you really want to run the 5K.

You can always see if one of the travel agents listed on the RunDisney website still has a 5K bib. The TAs are listed on the registration page. These bibs sometimes come with requirements like buy a park ticket or a one night hotel stay. Also, there are still charity providers listed that might have bibs available.

No guarantees but, it’s worth a look if you really want to run the 5K.
I’m not American, so I don’t think that is an option. I will just let them get on with it.

I’m not American, so I don’t think that is an option. I will just let them get on with it.
You could look at the runDisney travel agents websites, they usually post what bibs they have available. You do not need to be American to use an American travel agent. But if you do, you will be charged in USD, might have to deal with long distance charges if you call them and, like @JoanneAZ stated, the bib will probably come with a two nights resort stay and park tickets purchase obligation.

Thanks for the quick response. I just wondered in case Disney liked to double dip! I know they already have their money, just wondered if they would scrounge for more. Looks like I am relegated to the life of a supporter then :(
You'd think they'd have a waiting list or something, but NOPE. I think it's like @rteetz said, they have the cash so they don't want to bother.

As others have said a TA or Charity Provider is really the only option at this point. There are groups on Facebook where TAs/Charities will try to unload their unsold bibs closer to the race weekend, and sometimes they're so desperate to sell that they'll forego the requirements (TAs may waive the ticket/hotel requirement, Charities may waive the fundraising minimum - I just saw a post from a charity yesterday try to sell Wine & Dine bibs saying they were just trying to get back the costs of the bibs themselves, no fundraising required). So that may be something to keep an eye on. If you're on Facebook, join the runDisneyrun Marketplace group and stalk away!

You'd think they'd have a waiting list or something, but NOPE. I think it's like @rteetz said, they have the cash so they don't want to bother.

As others have said a TA or Charity Provider is really the only option at this point. There are groups on Facebook where TAs/Charities will try to unload their unsold bibs closer to the race weekend, and sometimes they're so desperate to sell that they'll forego the requirements (TAs may waive the ticket/hotel requirement, Charities may waive the fundraising minimum - I just saw a post from a charity yesterday try to sell Wine & Dine bibs saying they were just trying to get back the costs of the bibs themselves, no fundraising required). So that may be something to keep an eye on. If you're on Facebook, join the runDisneyrun Marketplace group and stalk away!

Thanks for the useful tip! I’ll keep my eyes open!

It would be tough to do because you don't know for sure the bib is uncollected until the expo closes the day before the race. So if you don't know till 7pm on Friday you have 100 bibs for 5:30am Saturday morning it would be tough to notify people, get money, and get bibs to them. Race morning is already crazy enough without trying to do race signups on top of it.

Logistically it would be tough to do.

It would be tough to do because you don't know for sure the bib is uncollected until the expo closes the day before the race. So if you don't know till 7pm on Friday you have 100 bibs for 5:30am Saturday morning it would be tough to notify people, get money, and get bibs to them. Race morning is already crazy enough without trying to do race signups on top of it.

Logistically it would be tough to do.
True. I guess it would only really work if a person knew they weren’t going ahead of time and agreed to forfeit their bib - like if a person breaks their leg on New Years Eve. :confused3

True. I guess it would only really work if a person knew they weren’t going ahead of time and agreed to forfeit their bib - like if a person breaks their leg on New Years Eve. :confused3

That's a pretty specific example you gave there. Personal experience? :D:crutches:

That's a pretty specific example you gave there. Personal experience? :D:crutches:
Thankfully no :teeth: but when I was on the bus to the expo in (I think?) 2012 the woman who sat next to me told me she was supposed to run the marathon the year before but slipped on a patch of ice on New Year’s Eve and broke her wrist and just lost her registration fee. I felt so bad for her!

Yes, it is a shame that they don’t have that as an option. Like, if you are registered and for whatever reason you cannot attend, you register as forfeiting. Then say 6-7pm Expo day, forfeited bibs could be purchased, and at a higher cost than original purchase to cover additional admin charges. You have to be at Disney, at the Expo, in person to purchase and collect forfeited bibs, and if that were the case, generally Disney win all around as hopeful participants are likely to be staying onsite!

Yes, it is a shame that they don’t have that as an option. Like, if you are registered and for whatever reason you cannot attend, you register as forfeiting. Then say 6-7pm Expo day, forfeited bibs could be purchased, and at a higher cost than original purchase to cover additional admin charges. You have to be at Disney, at the Expo, in person to purchase and collect forfeited bibs, and if that were the case, generally Disney win all around as hopeful participants are likely to be staying onsite!

Now that would work. You would have to be on-site at the expo at that time to get a bib. Only issue would be they would have to update the database with new registrants information and then what corral do you put them in? I would say if you were going to do this have a very very back corral for the last minute bib people

Now that would work. You would have to be on-site at the expo at that time to get a bib. Only issue would be they would have to update the database with new registrants information and then what corral do you put them in? I would say if you were going to do this have a very very back corral for the last minute bib people
If rD did this, you run in the corral assigned to the bib, and you get no credit for the race (you are not running in your own name). Disney could do it simply by taking the timing chip off the back of the bibs and the bib never runs officially - no times recorded - but the person who buys it gets to run the course.

As a person who does not care about my name or time being recorded in rD races, that would be fine for me. It might be a deal breaker for others.

It would kind of be impossible to re-assign a bib on race weekend, as long as they still offer the secret emergency bib pickup morning of for people who have things like delayed flights. And they wouldn't want a line of 100 people on race morning waiting to see if all the bibs weren't picked up right before corrals close.

Hope you can get one the TA route!

It would kind of be impossible to re-assign a bib on race weekend, as long as they still offer the secret emergency bib pickup morning of for people who have things like delayed flights. And they wouldn't want a line of 100 people on race morning waiting to see if all the bibs weren't picked up right before corrals close.

Of course, that would be chaotic! In the revised plan :thumbsup2, it was only those that knew in advanced they would have to forfeit, which they could be worked around.

Hope you can get one the TA route!
I'll keep watching, but I wont hold me breath! ::yes::

I understand the idea and it's a good one.
There are plenty of us signed up for races, then know ahead of time they can't go through with it. I'd love to give my spot to someone who was shut out during the sign up process. On the flip side, it would be difficult to reassign those that just didn't show up.

I had a heart issue crop up during the RNR half in VA Beach over Labor Day weekend. Finished the race by walking the last 4 miles then immediately hit the Medical Tent at the finish line. I was signed up for run the same in Philly 2 weeks later. The doc said no way, no walking either. I'm also losing the RNR Vegas for the same thing. Not life threatening, but serious enough to back off the training. Looks like Dark Side in April is the next chance to run.

It happens...

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!