What has been your strangest work related injury?

Did you take any time off? I only ask because I work with tons of very athletic yet apparently extremely clumsy people (beer league may have something to do with it ;) ). Absenteeism due to sports injuries this time of year is off the dial!
I am so not athletic. Lol. No, I didn’t take time off, just hid my face. Luckily I didn’t work with the public.

Tripping down the steps at 8 months pregnant. We had an on-site medical team and I was sitting in the middle of the landing with a sprained ankle I couldn’t get up. Since it was the end of the day and ppl were leaving they thought I was in labor.

Maybe in the sink at work where someone just left a knife there hiding between dishes. We also had a manual espresso machine at work and I burned mount on the head a few times. But those weren't necessarily work-related since I'm purely a desk jockey.

I've done a few things for coworkers before that could have resulted in injury. Stuff like jumping a car battery. I guess the strangest was being asked to push a car. It was on a slight incline and not easy at all. I was worried about suffering a hernia.

The worst was when I was playing basketball on the court at work. I was actually done but bent over to removed my compression shorts when my back just gave out. Don't know who has ever felt sharp pains. I didn't seek medical treatment, but I guess that's still an injury even though it was over within an hour. I've had that one other time in my life, and I think I just rolled around in bed funny, but this time my back hurt for a couple of weeks. I got around using a golf club as a cane until I bought a real cane. I used to go to basketball games where one of the regulars near my seat was an older guy who used a cane. He took a look at me carrying the cane and said I was too young to need one. It just hurt like crazy unless I relieved pressure on my lower back using the cane.

Mine wasn’t really a work related injury, but it happened while working. I had gotten up early and went for a 5 mile run. I was having trouble with shin splints at the time so after I got home and showered I laid back down with ice packs on my shins. I dozed off and when I woke up, I was going to be late for an arbitration hearing downtown. I hustled to get dressed and out the door and didn’t eat. While driving there I was starving so I ate a sugary granola bar I remembered was stashed in the glove box. When I got to the courthouse there was a long line for the elevator so I ran up a few flights of steps. While waiting for our case to be called I engaged in an animated “discussion” with the attorney for our company. I started to not feel well while I was arguing with him and the next thing I knew I was coming to on the floor. I had fainted and to make things worse I had hit a door jamb on my way down. Blood everywhere. I had to go to the ER by ambulance and received a bunch of stitches right underneath my eyebrow. This was 20+ years ago, just months after I had gotten married. The human resource lady kept telling me over and over that if this was the result of bring pregnant none of my bills would be covered by Workers Comp. I wasn’t pregnant, but she followed up with me for months. I needed a bunch of tests afterwards and they never did figure out what happened but speculated that it was the exercise and sugar and my blood sugar got too low.

My only injury that actually got written up as an incident was pretty dumb. I am a Librarian and was sitting on the floor moving books from one bottom shelf to the next one over and somehow I pulled something in my back. At first I thought if I just got up and walked it off I would be fine. It wasn't. I ended up with about 10 visits to the chiropractor.

I have had a couple. One that comes to mind first was probably a paper cut. I was trying to clear out some jammed paper in the copier, and some nitwit grabbed the drawer and yanked on it. I guess it was not a "serious injury" but it sure did hurt a lot.

Another one was working in the drive through in the bank. I dropped something and it rolled under the counter. I went down to pick it up and I raised up and hit my head on the counter, I hit my head so hard that I fell backwards and I hit the stool behind me and knocked it over causing a huge commotion. Everybody laughed at me.

Got trapped under a workbench face down and the brace cut my achilles tendon completely in two. That was 30+ years ago. Still hurts on rainy days.

I went behind the bar at work to get myself a glass of lemonade. I slipped and on my way down a metal liquor spout punctured my chin and wedged up behind my mandible. Had a nasty puncture wound and it was quite sore, but just the scariness of the fall was worse. I could have taken out an eye!

I have a 3 inch long scare on my thigh where I got cut on a sharp piece of the french fryer at McDonald's when I was 16.

Several years ago I heated up some soup for a patient. It was hot, but he wanted it Really Hot. So off I went to heat it even more. The cover for the soup container was loosely placed over the top so that the soup wouldn't splatter. When I pulled out the soup, the lid slid onto the back of my hand, leaving a decent burn at the base of my thumb.

My manager had me fill out a form where I was asked what I could have done to prevent the injury in the first place. The snarky side of me wanted to write that I should not have coddled high maintenance people in the ER, but it's not like a manager ever wants to hear the truth! :rolleyes1 :duck:

I have had a couple. One that comes to mind first was probably a paper cut. I was trying to clear out some jammed paper in the copier, and some nitwit grabbed the drawer and yanked on it. I guess it was not a "serious injury" but it sure did hurt a lot.
Did you get workers comp for your paper cut? LOL. This one made me laugh.

Dh is an accountant. Really safe job right??

Well, several years ago, his desk chair broke, as he started to fall backwards, he grabbed the edge of the desk to catch him self. The result- the bursa sac in his elbow burst resulting in elbow bursitis. Since he's paid to sit and crunch numbers, he didn't miss any work but his health insurance required him to fill out the worker's comp paperwork since that company had to pay. His biggest aggravation with the whole thing was that he works out hardcore 5 days a week and the injury seriously curtailed arm, chest, and back days. Only legs and cardio got full workouts for a while.

I worked in a bank and smushed the tip of my middle finger in the huge, heavy vault door. I was closing the vault for the evening, and accidentally had my finger curled around the door just so. The door actually bounced off my finger and rebounded back open. Everyone saw it and made a big fuss, but I insisted I was okay because I was embarrassed that I had been careless.

I sat down in my car to go home, and tears literally burst out of my eyes, it hurt so bad. I had to pull over on the drive home because it throbbed so painfully, I couldn't see straight.

I went to the doctor, and I had fractured the smallest bone in that finger tip. My fingernail turned black and fell off, too. It was pretty ugly for several weeks!

I was driving to work and was run off the road by one of the school delivery trucks. He pulled out of the exit without looking. Luckily for me one of the buses drove by and saw the whole thing. I just worked down the road so he gave me a ride and the name of who to call. My call needed towed out of the ditch I drove into so I didn’t hit him and as I got out of my car I fell in a big mud puddle.

I called the name he gave me and the guy was a real hateful jerk. He kept making fun of me with the people in the background. I hung up almost in tears. A few minutes later he calls me back very, very humble. I am assuming the bus driver reported back to the school and when someone found out how they treated me, made him apologize and pay to have my car towed and my clothes dry cleaned.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter