What have you learned from previous sailings?

Jennifer777

Mouseketeer
I'm not a newbie but I don't think I'd classify myself as a "seasoned" cruiser quite yet either. We've taken 4 Disney cruises (5 and 6 will be completed by next spring) and each time we learn new things that we carry over to improve our next experience. Some of these include;

- Using the pool and aquaduck after 8:00 pm when the crowds are usually gone.
- Scheduling our Palo dinner on the last night, in part to avoid the "excellent" sales pitch as much as possible but also so the last thing I eat is the chocolate soufflé (yum!).
- Skipping the MDR on Pirate night since it's our least favorite menu and so we can enjoy the pirate buffet.
- Telling our servers on the first night that we like to get in and out quickly so we aren't stuck in the MDR for over an hour each night.
- Recognizing that there's limited real estate in my stomach and saving my appetite for the things I really enjoy rather than stuffing myself with bread and pizza before I even get to dinner.

I know a lot of this is subjective, but I still want to know. What have you learned from your previous cruises that has helped you improve your future experiences?
I'm interested in hearing about everything from pre-departure to post-cruise. TIA!

On our first cruise with our dd(6 yrs old at the time) I spent so much time making sure we went to every single character greet and meet. I feel like that is all we did on the cruise and I didn't get to enjoy anything else on the ship. She's now 10 years old and doesn't care about seeing any characters. We have so much more time to do other stuff. I was happy to see the characters on our first cruise with dd, but it is a lot more relaxing to be able to skip them now.

• Not letting MDR servers talk us into preordering a gluten-free lunch for Castaway Cay. The special-ordered GF meals on CC were awful & took forever to arrive both times we did that. Never again. We now sleep in CC morning, enjoy an empty ship, have lunch onboard, then spend the afternoon at CC.
  • Always signing up for a Fish Extender group (limited to 10 families). We missed out on that during our first cruise because we didn't know that Facebook was the most active place for FEs. Tried to sign up here & nothing was available & no one enlightened me about DCL groups on FB, so we missed out. We've really enjoyed them since.
  • Attending at least some of the shows. Might seem strange but we didn't used to do this as it didn't appeal. But we've since come to really enjoy them.
  • Bringing fancier clothes for formal & semiformal night on every cruise. This makes those nights more special.

I no longer rush to get to port early. I like arriving around 1pm. check in lines are short, you can walk right on board, cabins are ready, and there is still time for lunch.

I also like to book cabins where the Muster Station is in a lounge or AP. Although necessary, I really dislike the muster drill, and I dislike it even more if I have to be outside on the deck. Especially if you are traveling with little kids, older folks, people with special needs, mustering inside is just so much easier.

It wasn't until our second cruise that we realized Cabanas was open for breakfast on the last morning. We thought our only choice was the MDR which wasn't a great experience (dealing with carry ons at the table, rushed service, etc). Since then, we leave our carry on bags in the room, have a nice quiet breakfast at the buffet, then retrieve our stuff and head off the ship. For us it's a much more relaxed and pleasant way to spend the last morning.

I also agree about not worrying so much about dressing up on formal nights. We still make a bit of an effort, but nothing at all like we used to. We've found that there is so much variety in what other passengers wear now, that you don't feel out of place whatever you decide.

I know a lot of this is subjective, but I still want to know. What have you learned from your previous cruises that has helped you improve your future experiences?
I'm interested in hearing about everything from pre-departure to post-cruise. TIA!

Cruise number 13 scheduled in 4 months and 14 in 13 months and we are still learning things. You can always pick up some new detail.

I think one of the most important things we have learned is taking a few minutes to chat with some of the staff. If you start to have some casual conversations with bartenders, servers, stateroom host or just about anyone eventually they will share details that can be helpful.

Last edited:
A verandah is totally worth the extra cost. Once you do it you cannot go back to a normal view. I guess the same is said with flying first class but I'm still along ways off from affording that. :bored:

I had no idea the on-demand movies were free until the last night of our second Disney Cruise. :sad2:

I had no idea the food in Cove Cafe was free.

The rainforest room is awesome (on the Dream and Fantasy) but, don't let the spa ladies talk you into the scrubs aka the "deluxe" package as it raises the admission price of the rainforest room by almost $50.

No one told me cruising with Disney would be so addicting so always book a placeholder as it locks you in for the discount. The good news is you can always change the date or even get your deposit back if need be.

Last edited:
I no longer rush to get to port early. I like arriving around 1pm. check in lines are short, you can walk right on board, cabins are ready, and there is still time for lunch.
We learned this lesson on our last cruise. We are done with early PATs!

The coffee onboard is terrible. We always bring a French Press.
Yes, the coffee is terrible and love my coffee. I am totally looking into bringing a french press next time! Great tip!

A verandah is totally worth the extra cost.
Amen! I have never sailed without a verandah but we spend so much time out there I don't think I could ever sail without one. Pre-dinner glass of wine and an all hands on deck cheese plate on my verandah is the best part of every day for me.

• Attending at least some of the shows. Might seem strange but we didn't used to do this as it didn't appeal. But we've since come to really enjoy them.
  • Bringing fancier clothes for formal & semiformal night on every cruise. This makes those nights more special.

These are both things we love about cruising! The shows are a highlight, and we love going to a lounge after the show and before dinner to relax, soak it all in and then sashay to dinner. :goodvibes

Cruise number 13 scheduled in 4 months and 15 in 13 months and we are still learning things. You can always pick up some new detail.

I think one of the most important things we have learned is taking a few minutes to chat with some of the staff. If you start to have some casual conversations with bartenders, servers, stateroom host or just about anyone eventually they will share details that can be helpful.

This is so true!!! Thanks for bringing up this important point! DH and I have had some wonderful conversations with the crew. One bartender in Cadillac Lounge was just SO much fun! He made a fabulous Mojito, and told us about his upcoming BIG Polish wedding. He had met his bride onboard, and they were saving up because "ALL the cousins and aunties MUST be invited and EVERY person/guest gets their OWN bottle of vodka,"!!!!! :scared1:

I spoke with my room steward many times during my 2012 Hawaii 14 night, and turned out she had been on the Wonder since she sailed over from Italy! WOW! Super sweet lady. Had a young daughter back in Jamaica that lived with her mom.

Yes, ScooterScott44 is right. Take a little time to chat, and thank these hardworking folks and ask them about their family and their home. It's awesome. Makes me appreciate them all the more.

The coffee onboard is terrible. We always bring a French Press.

Okay, I'm not really a coffee drinker unless it is a really good coffee, freshly ground and pressed. I leave a French Press in my "owner locker" for our TS, so I get it completely. My question is: where do you get the hot water?? And if its the beverage station on Deck 11, is that a pain?

A verandah is totally worth the extra cost. Once you do it you cannot go back to a normal view. I guess the same is said with flying first class but I'm still along ways off from affording that. :bored:

I feel very much this way about verandah rooms as I have been blessed to have them almost every sailing. But I will say that I though I would HATE an inside room, and I had one on Deck 2 on the Wonder for a 14 night Hawaii sailing back in 2012, and it was more than fine. Sure made for some AMAZING naps! But warning with that: SET AN ALARM or you could sleep for a day and a half!!! o_O

We sailed in 2 OV staterooms on the Magic for our Alaska cruise, and they were great too. I guess what I have found out for ME is that I much prefer having that verandah, :boat: for some types/lengths of cruising more than others, but hey! If it's the difference in being able to GO in a cheaper room or not go in a verandah room, I'm choosing the former!

As for 1st class when flying, for REALLY long flights, I usually find a way to upgrade... miles, stalking the websites, or whatever. Otherwise, I'm in "steerage" with the rest of the peasants. :rotfl2:

On our last cruise we completely unplugged. We didn't buy the internet and didn't even use the free amount. It was A-M-A-Z-I-N-G! No news, no politics, no work emails, no social media. We just spent time together and enjoyed each other's company. And you know what? The world, our jobs and the rest of our family did just fine without us too, much to our surprise. :tongue: So unless we absolutely can't due to circumstances out of our control, we'll be unplugging for all our future cruises.

-

On our last cruise we completely unplugged. We didn't buy the internet and didn't even use the free amount. It was A-M-A-Z-I-N-G! No news, no politics, no work emails, no social media. We just spent time together and enjoyed each other's company. And you know what? The world, our jobs and the rest of our family did just fine without us too, much to our surprise. :tongue: So unless we absolutely can't due to circumstances out of our control, we'll be unplugging for all our future cruises.

-
Love to unplug during our cruises!

Okay, I'm not really a coffee drinker unless it is a really good coffee, freshly ground and pressed. I leave a French Press in my "owner locker" for our TS, so I get it completely. My question is: where do you get the hot water?? And if its the beverage station on Deck 11, is that a pain?

Yes the beverage station on Deck 9 of the Wonder. We are usually on Deck 7 aft so it isn't too much of a walk. The water from the tap is super hot which is what you need to make good coffee with a French Press.

Yes the beverage station on Deck 9 of the Wonder. We are usually on Deck 7 aft so it isn't too much of a walk. The water from the tap is super hot which is what you need to make good coffee with a French Press.

Thanks! I was wondering how you managed that! :cutie:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter