What have you learned from previous sailings?

How is the coffee from room service? DH hates the coffee in Cabanas, so was wondering if room service was better?

You know, I have to doctor up my coffee with milk and sugar so I'm not an expert, but I thought it was fine. And it's lovely to have to sip while getting ready or sitting on your verandah, at your window, or just enjoying your stateroom. :cutie:

I have not ever tried the coffee in Cabanas, so I can't compare. Sorry 'bout that. :o

I've learned to just relax. Like others have said, Disney cruising is addictive, so if you don't do something this cruise, maybe you'll get to it the next cruise or some future cruise.

I also had no idea where to find the room service menu on my first two cruises and was too embarrassed to ask, so I obviously didn't use it. Now I LOVE room service and use it quite often. Oftentimes we just like to get room service and lay around and watch TV for a while.

Deck 4 loungers are also my favorites. I'm not a big sit in the sun person and they are always shaded, comfy, quiet, and very rarely crowded. I have taken some nice naps out there.
Yes, love the deck 4 loungers!

I sure did. In the random book containing jewerly ads; it’s no wonder I missed it the last two times. :charac2:

I’ve pre-paid my gratuities already but I’ll likely give the servers and room attendant some more cash on the side. I figure $20-30 tip for Palo brunch. I plan on giving room service server $2 per dish or order based on how much and what I order.

Speaking of room service, do you have a favorite must-order dish?
All Hands on Deck - cheese plate, great for when we are getting ready for dinner

For me, its better to get to the port late. The ship is way to crowded, before the rooms are available, with everyone wondering around many with suitcases. I like to arrive at about the same time as the rooms become available. Walk right into the port, no lines, enter the ship, head to the room and unpack. Plus its not really a cruise until the ship starts moving.

Also, always book a cruise with at least 1 sea day.

I've learned:

Don't expect things to be the same on your next cruise;

And -

Don't expect things to be different on your next cruise.

We've had awesome service, good service, okay service and terrible service. Different cruises, different experiences.
We've had the same set of trivia questions asked on multiple cruises, the same shows, the same menus, etc.

Some things can be very different from cruise to cruise;
Some things won't change at all, even over multiple years.

Number one thing learned

Yes Disney Cruise is $$$$ but so worth it. Last year tried royal Caribbean for the first time for our 20th anniversary. Huge mistake. Huge. Differences were night and day. Never again. Never !!!!

Other

Once you go concierge you will have a hard time not going in future cruises. It is all fine and dandy but man I love concierge

Do not I say do not get a cabana on castaway it will ruin you for life !!!!
( says the person who just booked one yesterday).

#1: You can't "do it all." Don't spend a lot of time prior to your cruise pouring over old Navigators and over-planing because it will just leave you frustrated, especially on the shorter cruises. The tendency and desire is to want to experience everything and not miss anything, but that is impossible. Multiple activities are scheduled at the same time all over the ship, so you will end up having to prioritize, anyway. Best cure for this is to book another cruise while onboard (which would be my #2 thing to do). :rotfl:

Some examples from our personal experience:
>There's only one movie theater onboard, so it makes sense when the one movie we've wanted to see either isn't scheduled for our sailing or is on at a time that's inconvenient, such as during dinner. Last May, we did the 4-night Bahamian B2B with the EBTA and met a family while waiting to board the 4-nt who were looking forward to watching Coco during their short cruise, however, it wasn't listed on the Navigator and it never was added to the schedule. Wouldn't you know the very first movie playing in the theater for the EBTA was Coco, and it played several times throughout the sailing.
>I've wanted to participate in the Officer's Hide and Seek activity (only on the longer cruises) for several years, however, every single time our Palo Brunch has conflicted with it. Every. Single. Time.
>Usually, DIS Meet & Greets are scheduled before sail-away, but so is the Spa drawing for prizes and you must be present to win. Often, so is the DVC Member event.

After my first and only completed Disney cruise I realized 4 days was definitely not long enough. It was almost more exhausting than WDW because we felt we had to do it all and keep a strict schedule. Looking forward to some relaxation on our 7-night Alaska cruise next summer!!

Room service, bars/lounges, and in the MDR. Not in the drink station. One thing, from room service, or the bars/lounges there's a cost. In the MDR they have ginger ale in THEIR drink fountain (at least on the Magic) so no cost.
View attachment 345274

But, I'll point out that Fanta ginger ale doesn't have much (if any) actual ginger in it.
FWIW when we were on the Fantasy last August it was not Fanta ginger ale on deck, it was Seagrams ginger ale, which is real ginger.

This is such a great thread for an about to have a first time cruise next year!!! Skipping WDW & heading over to the Mediterranean on the Disney Magic - not too shabby huh?

And I love seeing some folk's experience on Deck 2 - Inside Stateroom, which is what I have booked :) My last Disney related cruise was on the Big Red Boat - remember that? It was an inside cabin - and didn't bother me at all. So I am counting on that still being the case. But - if my stomach gets queasy - I know to ask for green apples, saltines & ginger ale!

Going to definitely order breakfast room service & avoid the elevators :)

Also seems I am going to visit the Cove Cafe - that seems pretty popular......

Thanks all for sharing!!!!!

FWIW when we were on the Fantasy last August it was not Fanta ginger ale on deck, it was Seagrams ginger ale, which is real ginger.
They have ginger ale in the drink station now? That picture I took was during the galley tour, and it was the fountain drink station for the dining room, not on deck.

They have ginger ale in the drink station now? That picture I took was during the galley tour, and it was the fountain drink station for the dining room, not on deck.

I saw at least one drink station has it on the Dream back in June.

LAX

This is such a great thread for an about to have a first time cruise next year!!! Skipping WDW & heading over to the Mediterranean on the Disney Magic - not too shabby huh?
I did this with my kids in 2007 on the Magic. We loved every minute of that cruise. There were about 60 DISers, and we shared private excursions in Naples and Rome. They were unforgettable.

They did on the Fantasy in December. One of the drink stations on the pool deck had Seagrams ginger ale [as in one dispenser spout was ginger ale]. Don't recall if they also had it somewhere in Cabanas, but if they did it was not at all of them (would have been like the POG juice and only available at one).

SW

1) Don't over research everything. It's nice to be surprised by something every now and then.

2) I love getting to the port as soon as possible and taking in everything. The excitement and electricity in the terminal is awesome.

3) There's no need for me to waste luggage space packing clothes for formal night. The food tastes the same whether I'm in dress clothes or shorts.

4) Participating in the FE is a lot of work and takes a lot of time. I'm glad I did it a couple of times for the experience. I'm even happier that I don't anymore.

5) The Castaway Cay Cabanas are worth every penny for us.

6) Most of the shows are available on YouTube so you can preview them before the cruise.

7) The pools and AquaDuck are dead during the shows so skip a show or two and take advantage.

8) Many say once you sail Concierge, there's no going back. It's true for us. We tried.

9) Nassau wasn't as bad as many claimed. We enjoyed getting off and walking around.

10) We love the Pirate Night menu. Try it at least once.

11) If there's something you want to do or try, DO IT! What might not be enjoyable or "worth it" to someone else might be something you really enjoy. I learned this the hard way.

Last edited:
Keep your camera with you (or phone if you use the app). DH and I always say... do we need to carry the camera??? Last cruise the one night we didn't bring it Pluto was walking through the open area between the shops and theatre and just came up to me and started playing with me - licking me, letting me kiss him and pet him. And DH just watched us interact and had nothing to take pictures with. Then he left and found a little boy and got on the ground and let the boy scratch his belly. It was a priceless moment and a memory I will treasure. Wish we had pictures. I have also witnessed a water spout and incredible rainbows while walking the deck, again no pictures.

I don't carry a phone during the cruises - but will consider bringing an old one with decent picture capability OR buy a small camera that will fit in DH's shorts pocket just so I have something.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter