Labor Day (May 1)
Ascension Thursday
Corpus Christie
Whit Monday
German Unity Day (oct 3)
All Saint's Day
Christmas Day
Boxing Day

also most places (includig where DH works and DS works) get half days off on NYE and Christmas Eve.

Holidays which fall on the weekend just fall on the weekend and time off is not granted on the adjacent Monday or Friday as often happens in the US.
This is balanced out by bridge days, in which most companies will give the Monday or Friday off between the weekend and a holiday falling on Tues or Thurs
So some years work out really nicely, others not so much

What holidays do I get off? Normally, none. All holidays are normal business days. Even Christmas.

Until this year, holidays were just double time days.
Now they are just days we can take off on a later date.

New Year’s Day
Martin Luther King Jr.’s Birthday
Memorial Day
Independence Day
Labor Day
Thanksgiving Day
Day after Thanksgiving
Christmas

Holidays we do not observe:
President's day
Cesar Chavez Day (California State holiday)
Veterans Day

My kids are grown, but I feel sorry for those with kids as the schools here take Thanksgiving WEEK off, as well as President's day WEEK off, as well as 2 weeks at Christmas (Some Schools take 3 weeks for Christmas) and the week leading into Easter. You'd have to work at my place 30 years to get 5 weeks vacation time, and a lot of parents struggle with child care these days with school out so much more than it was when I was a kid.

My kids are grown, but I feel sorry for those with kids as the schools here take Thanksgiving WEEK off, as well as President's day WEEK off, as well as 2 weeks at Christmas (Some Schools take 3 weeks for Christmas) and the week leading into Easter. You'd have to work at my place 30 years to get 5 weeks vacation time, and a lot of parents struggle with child care these days with school out so much more than it was when I was a kid.

Are the kids actually spending fewer days in school, or are the breaks more spread out with a shorter summer? I know a lot of areas are moving to more of a year round like schedule. I can see where it might be tricky for childcare (and split custody and whatnot, especially in the transition years before programs adjust and if some districts have year round and sokme have longeer summers still.
We're not in the US, but my kids had something like that:

1 week off the week of Ash Wednesday
2 weeks at Easter
2 Weeks around Pentacost
6 weeks for summer
1 week off the week of November 1
aprox 3 weeks at Christmas (depending on exactly when Dec 25 and Jan 6 fall, they never go back until after the 6th and are always off no later than the 23rd)

I work 210 days a year...so I get a lot of days off. However, I don't get any "paid" holidays exactly. Also, I get no "paid" vacation time (I do get sick days and I can convert 3 of them into personal days---but for instance, this year, I had to use one personal day to attend a funeral of an extended family member). To be fair, my 210 day salary is comparable to someone who works full-time and has paid holidays and vacation.

Holidays I don't work:
MLK, Jr. Day
President's Day (usually goes with some sort of winter break, this year the winter break is an entire week)
Also a Spring Break week (which usually does not coincide with a holiday, generally a week or more before Easter here)
Memorial Day
About 4 weeks in Summer (mid-June to mid-July, which covers 4th of July)
Fall Break (which coincides with Columbus Day but is not called Columbus Day...this year it was one day for staff, it has been up to a week)
Thanksgiving Week
Generally a 2 week and 1 day break over Christmas/New Year's Holidays
I don't work weekends so any holiday that falls on a weekend is off (Easter Sunday)

Are the kids actually spending fewer days in school, or are the breaks more spread out with a shorter summer? I know a lot of areas are moving to more of a year round like schedule. I can see where it might be tricky for childcare (and split custody and whatnot, especially in the transition years before programs adjust and if some districts have year round and sokme have longeer summers still.
We're not in the US, but my kids had something like that:
Kind of a mixed bag.
The hard numbers are 180 instruction days now, 200 when I was in school. A few of the private schools and public charter schools are higher, up to 200 days still.
They start 2 weeks earlier now, and get out a week earlier. Every Thursday is a minimum day to give the teachers 3 hours on Thursday to do prep and and in service stuff . (we had 4 a year, the last day of each quarter) They also get 1 hour during the day the other 4 days a week for prep. So that is 7 hours per week less instruction time than when I was a kid.
They are moving away from year round school here.
I think you'd need to graph everything out but on paper school is "in session" 1 week longer, but students are in class 20 fewer days.

What holidays do I get off? Normally, none. All holidays are normal business days. Even Christmas.

Until this year, holidays were just double time days.
Now they are just days we can take off on a later date.

New Year’s Day
Martin Luther King Jr.’s Birthday
Memorial Day
Independence Day
Labor Day
Thanksgiving Day
Day after Thanksgiving
Christmas

Holidays we do not observe:
President's day
Cesar Chavez Day (California State holiday)
Veterans Day

I think 180 school days is typical and has held pretty steady.

When I was in school, we only got 2 days for Thanksgiving (but we also got Veteran's Day in November) and President's Day was one day. However, we had 3 months of summer for our parents to schedule. My kids get about 2 1/2 months for summer.
Just like summer camps in summer, there are day camps for childcare most of those days. The daycare my children attended is only closed weekends, Labor Day, Thursday and Friday of Thanksgiving, two days for Christmas Eve/Christmas, New Year's Day, Memorial Day, and 4th of July...so 8 days out of the year. (As an aside, school should be structured to best teach children not to best suit daycare needs of parents anyhow)

Last edited:
Kind of a mixed bag.
The hard numbers are 180 instruction days now, 200 when I was in school. A few of the private schools and public charter schools are higher, up to 200 days still.
They start 2 weeks earlier now, and get out a week earlier. Every Thursday is a minimum day to give the teachers 3 hours on Thursday to do prep and and in service stuff . (we had 4 a year, the last day of each quarter) They also get 1 hour during the day the other 4 days a week for prep. So that is 7 hours per week less instruction time than when I was a kid.
I think you'd need to graph everything out but on paper school is "in session" 1 week longer, but students are in class 20 fewer days.

Some schools have also changed the length of the school day to get in more instructional time, so you might let out early every Thursday, but you go to school 30 minutes longer the other days

Most teachers have a daily planning period where I am at...the children do not miss instructional time then...they are instructed by other teachers (music, art, PE, remedial instruction, etc.)

Kind of a mixed bag.
Interesting. But it is still 180 days, which is what it has been in much of the US for most of my lifetime----even you say the 200 was when you were in school, not your kids (I find that really surprising given that the average in the US was only 155 days per year in 1950, perhaps it only FELT like a longer year to you when you were a child? I mean, I doubt most of us knew or now recall how many instructional days per year we had as kids. Where did you get that 200 number?)

Anyway, it doesn't sound like a major change in the amount, just in how it is structured? (except for wome distrcits which cut up to 20 day due to sevre budget issues on a temporary basis in the early part of this decade)
Somewhere between 175 and 200 seems to be pretty common for most of the world, barring some Asian countries with numbers in the 220s but much shorter school days (like 4 hours).

Interesing that there was a shift towards year round and now it is shifting back again.

https://www.lireo.com/americas-schools-1950s-vs-today-infographic/

Edited to add the link below, which is far better. Page 28 shows the average nuber of school days per year from 1869 to 1981--it rose pretty steadily throughout and was still not quite at 180 in 1981.

https://nces.ed.gov/pubs93/93442.pdf

Last edited:
Interesting. But it is still 180v days, which is what it has been in much of the US for most of my lifetime----even you say the 200 was when you were in school, not your kids (I find that really surprising given that the average in the US was only 155 days per year in 1950, perhaps it only FELT like a longer year to you when you were a child? I mean, I doubt most of us knew or now recall how many instructional days per year we had as kids. Where did you get that 200 number?)

Anyway, it doesn't sound like a major change in the amount, just in how it is structured?
Somewhere between 175 and 200 seems to be pretty common for most of the world, barring some Asian countries with numbers in the 220s but much shorter school days (like 4 hours).

Interesing that there was a shift towards year round and now it is shifting back again.

That's what I was going to say. I'm in my 50s and it was 180 days or close to it, when I was in school.

ETA
I just looked on the NYC Board of Ed website. They have the school calendars back to the 1978. It looks like I went to school 184 days a year.

Last edited:

New Year’s Day
Martin Luther King Day
Presidents Day
Memorial Day
Independence Day
Labor Day
Thanksgiving Day
Day after Thanksgiving
Christmas Eve
Christmas Day

I'm so grateful I get to be home with my kids on school holidays, but that paycheck after Christmas break was not good. And now with all the 2-hour delays we've been having, plus a couple more days off sprinkled through January, and my next 2 paychecks are both going to be 20+ hours short. Of course, no paycheck for 2 1/2 months in the summer is rough too. Hopefully when my youngest is older I can transition to a position that is year-round.

On the flip side, today is a snow day and DW has to go in. She is NOT pleased LOL

I retired but I used to get:

New Year’s Day
Martin Luther King
Lincoln's Birthday
Washington's Birthday
Good Friday
Memorial Day
4th of July
Labor Day
Columbus Day
Election Day
2 for Thanksgiving
Christmas
My Birthday

We get...
New Year's Day
Memorial Day
Independence Day
Labor Day
Thanksgiving Day & the Friday after
Christmas

Plus the following Jewish holidays when they fall on a weekday:
Passover (first two days, last two days)
Shavuot
Rosh Hashannah
Yom Kippur
Sukkot (first two days)
Shemini Aseret
Simhat Torah

I work in healthcare and don't technically get paid for these 6 holidays. They come out of my PTO bank. I'm a non essential employee so I take the days off and use my bank. Essential employees work and get time and a half and don't have to use their PTO bank. If the hospital outright paid us for the days they would then have to pay essential employees double time and a half. Even after those 6 days come out my bank I still have 6 weeks of vacation time a year.

New Years Day
Memorial Day
July 4
Labor Day
Thanksgiving
Christmas

New Year's Day
Memorial Day
July 4th
Labor Day
Thanksgiving and Friday after
Christmas Day

3 floating days

Depending on when the holiday falls, we may get the day before or after off, too. So this year we get Christmas Eve and New Year's Eve off, as well. If July 4th is a Thursday, we get Friday, too, etc.

I work in a school too & they tell us we technically don’t get paid for days off either. But, I make about the same annually as I did in another non-school agency where I worked & had less days off that were
supposedly paid holidays so to me they feel like paid holidays.
Christmas/New Years break-9 day
MLK day
Mardi Gras week-5 days
Good Friday & Spring break-6 Days
Memori day/July 4th/Summer-50 Days
Labor Day
Thanksgiving-5 Days

Agreed about the pay thing.

I also don't mind the trade off of no paid vacation for lots of time off in the school year and summer. I don't love that we have to vacation at the most expensive and crowded times of the year (or often hottest times of year). (We don't vacation over holidays usually because we see family who cannot travel and/or DH can't get a full week off around those times)

Right now, it mostly works because I wouldn't want to pull my kids out of school anyhow, but I can see it being annoying down the road.

I work in administration at a community college. Official holidays are:

New Year's Day
MLK Day
Memorial Day
4th of July
Labor Day
Veteran's Day
Thanksgiving Day (and Friday after)
Christmas Eve
Christmas Day
New Year's Eve

We also get the three day in between Christmas and New Years as 'Winter Break'.

I guess we used to get President's Day, but it was swapped out for the day after Thanksgiving.

I think 180 school days is typical and has held pretty steady.

When I was in school, we only got 2 days for Thanksgiving (but we also got Veteran's Day in November) and President's Day was one day. However, we had 3 months of summer for our parents to schedule. My kids get about 2 1/2 months for summer.
Just like summer camps in summer, there are day camps for childcare most of those days. The daycare my children attended is only closed weekends, Labor Day, Thursday and Friday of Thanksgiving, two days for Christmas Eve/Christmas, New Year's Day, Memorial Day, and 4th of July...so 8 days out of the year. (As an aside, school should be structured to best teach children not to best suit daycare needs of parents anyhow)
It was reduced from a minimum of 200 days years ago, after I graduated from High School in 1975, to 180.

Some schools have also changed the length of the school day to get in more instructional time, so you might let out early every Thursday, but you go to school 30 minutes longer the other days

Most teachers have a daily planning period where I am at...the children do not miss instructional time then...they are instructed by other teachers (music, art, PE, remedial instruction, etc.)
School day is shorter now, by about 30 minutes plus half day on Thursday.

Interesting. But it is still 180 days, which is what it has been in much of the US for most of my lifetime----even you say the 200 was when you were in school, not your kids (I find that really surprising given that the average in the US was only 155 days per year in 1950, perhaps it only FELT like a longer year to you when you were a child? I mean, I doubt most of us knew or now recall how many instructional days per year we had as kids. Where did you get that 200 number?)

Anyway, it doesn't sound like a major change in the amount, just in how it is structured? (except for wome distrcits which cut up to 20 day due to sevre budget issues on a temporary basis in the early part of this decade)

Edited to add the link below, which is far better. Page 28 shows the average nuber of school days per year from 1869 to 1981--it rose pretty steadily throughout and was still not quite at 180 in 1981.

https://nces.ed.gov/pubs93/93442.pdf
Much less instruction time according to the ongoing debate here.
My kids went private where 200 day is still pretty much the standard. That, and before and after school care are big marketing tools for private for profit schools. And their high school (Catholic) REQUIRED summer school 3 of the 4 years

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter