What holidays do you get

Agreed about the pay thing.

I also don't mind the trade off of no paid vacation for lots of time off in the school year and summer. I don't love that we have to vacation at the most expensive and crowded times of the year (or often hottest times of year). (We don't vacation over holidays usually because we see family who cannot travel and/or DH can't get a full week off around those times)

Right now, it mostly works because I wouldn't want to pull my kids out of school anyhow, but I can see it being annoying down the road.
Yeah we get lucky that we get Mardi Gras week. We go then a lot. Going this yr, in fact. It’s still Crowded but not hot. But, I just started this job last school yr so we went whenever before that & found it’s always crowded now. What I do like about being off at designated times is that I don’t have to get approval to be off before I can book a vacation. I know I’m off & I can book whatever I want.

Much less instruction time according to the ongoing debate here.
My kids went private where 200 day is still pretty much the standard. That, and before and after school care are big marketing tools for private for profit schools. And their high school (Catholic) REQUIRED summer school 3 of the 4 years

Around here, children also start school much younger. We have lottery funded pre-k (4 year old), everyone can attend full day kindergarten at age 5. So over the years, it might even out timewise (although I believe school still isn't mandatory until age 6)

When I started school in the mid-80s, kindergaten was not a full day where we lived in CA. My DH didn't start school until 1st grade (private school kindergarten). To go further back, my mother-in-law also did not attend kindergarten

Much less instruction time according to the ongoing debate here.
My kids went private where 200 day is still pretty much the standard. That, and before and after school care are big marketing tools for private for profit schools. And their high school (Catholic) REQUIRED summer school 3 of the 4 years

I guess it depends on where you live. My son has several friends that go to Catholic HS (different schools) they go to school the same amount of days as my son. They may have different days off because of religious holidays, but the number is the same.

We get the following
Good Friday
Memorial Day
Fourth of july but sometimes the 3rd as well
Labor Day
Thursday and Friday for Thanksgiving
Dec 22 through New Years

we also get 3 weeks vacation and then another week if we want to volunteer at charities or schools. This year using 3 days to chaperone a high school orchestra trip to Washington DC

Around here, children also start school much younger. We have lottery funded pre-k (4 year old), everyone can attend full day kindergarten at age 5. So over the years, it might even out timewise (although I believe school still isn't mandatory until age 6)

When I started school in the mid-80s, kindergaten was not a full day where we lived in CA. My DH didn't start school until 1st grade (private school kindergarten). To go further back, my mother-in-law also did not attend kindergarten
Yes, I am in California and we have public pre-kindergarten, but Kindergarten isn't required here. The law is a child must be in school if they are age 6, but it can be either Kindergarten or First grade.
My kindergarten has half day. (1962!) Public School. My kids was full day, private school. My wife was in Texas, and did not attend kindergarten. And her father, well, he made it two days in kindergarten, at which point he got kicked out!

4th of July
Memorial Day
Labor Day
Thanksgiving
1/2 day for Christmas Eve
Christmas Day
New Year's Day

I guess it depends on where you live. My son has several friends that go to Catholic HS (different schools) they go to school the same amount of days as my son. They may have different days off because of religious holidays, but the number is the same.
Other than having Easter Break the week after, instead of the week before, my kids Catholic school started a week earlier and went a week later than public school. No minimum days. No President's week off, just President's day, and just Thursday and Friday for Thanksgiving, not the whole week.
The Easter week difference was interesting. My son played High School baseball in a league with the public schools. All the "all day" or out of town baseball tournaments were during the week before Easter, so he missed the whole week of school, and then had his Easter break to catch up on all the school work he missed but had to be at school for 2 regularly scheduled afternoon games..

Yes, I am in California and we have public pre-kindergarten, but Kindergarten isn't required here. The law is a child must be in school if they are age 6, but it can be either Kindergarten or First grade.
My kindergarten has half day. (1962!) Public School. My kids was full day, private school. My wife was in Texas, and did not attend kindergarten. And her father, well, he made it two days in kindergarten, at which point he got kicked out!

I am 58 and I did not go to kindergarten at all either. I started first grade at 5 in September and my birthday was in December so I was always the youngest in my class.

New Year's Day
MLK Day
Memorial Day
4th of July
Labor Day
Thanksgiving
Christmas Eve
Christmas Day
New Year's Eve
Good Friday Floater

Plus one Employee Appreciation Day and 4 weeks of vacation.

But I work from home 90% of the time and many of our holidays fall on times of the year/month that my department is extremely busy, so I end up working at least part of the day pretty much every holiday except Christmas and New Year's Day. I worked from 6:15am-12:45pm yesterday on our MLK "holiday". And I end up working through most of my vacation days, too.

Ugh

I'm a teacher, and as others have mentioned, we work a paid ten month year. Summers off are unpaid, but we can opt to have our paycheck spread into twelve months. Paid holidays are the ones that other teachers have mentioned. We also get two paid personal days a year. My husband is an attorney for the state (hasn't quite been at this job a year), and he has to use his own vacation time for any holiday that the court is closed--even if he would want to go in and work, he can't. He had to use a vacation day for Christmas and for MLK Day this past week.

Last edited:
I work at a state university and get the following 10 days off:

New Years Day
MLK Day
Good Friday
Memorial Day
Fourth of July
Labor Day
Thanksgiving
Black Friday
Christmas Eve
Christmas Day

We’re closed the week between Christmas and New Years Day, and since I’m salaried I’m paid during this time. The last university that I worked at required us to use our PTO during this time.

No ‘personal day’ at this university or Veteran’s Day which I found to be odd.

22 days plus 3 long service days. The factory shuts down 24/25/26 December and 31 December 1st January but works all other bank holidays.

For me, no holidays are guaranteed off. I have to work my share. They can differ every year.

This is a difficult question for me to a answer. Technically, my workplace gets no holidays. That being said, the administrative side of my workplace does recognize certain federal holidays. However, those holidays do not necessarily apply to my particular area of administration - which requires me to be "on call" for a week about once every 3 months, irregardless of holidays which may fall in that time period.

I get vacation, unlimited sick days, and HR considers me and my co-workers to be on the honor system about both aspects.

I'm lucky--I get all the federal holidays off.

My favorite holiday is Columbus Day. Nobody sees that one coming, then boom! Free day off in October. Columbus Day is the federal holiday equivalent of walking down the street and finding a quarter on the sidewalk.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter