• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

What I have learned hosting my first swap

RealMickeysGirl

DIS Veteran<br><font color=9966ff>I think my frien
Wow, I can't believe that the packages are on their way. I have learned a lot by hosting the May 6 Character Swap. Over all, it was a great experience and I would have no problem hosting another one.

Just a few things I learned are:

1. No matter how hard you try, you can't get all of the air out of ziploc bags.

2. Ziploc bags are slippery when they are piled together.

3. Three swaps will not fit into a priority mail flat rate envelope. You can't get enough of the air out of the bags.

4. Borders are to long for a lot of ziploc bags - If I ever host a swap again, borders will be off the list unless they can be made in such a way that they can be broken down for shipping (two pieces that can be put together on the page).

5. Some people will put a specific recipient on their bags - I didn't realize that this was the case until I had already packed some envelopes and noticed the names on the baggies didn't match who made the item - it was the name of the person that the baggie was suposed to go to. (This means that some of the recipients of the May 6 swap will have things addressed to another swap member but it should be ok because the items are the same).

6. Three priority mailing flat rate envelopes will fit into one of those big tyvec envelopes and will keep the contents from getting bent.

7. Keep the DISname and the Real name of participants on a list somewhere and refer to it frequently. (I had pre-addressed some of the envelopes and had to then figure out what DISname they went with - because the progress post listed everyone by DISname and I had to figure out who to flag as sent.)

8. Hosting is a big responsibility - but a fun one.

9. Sometimes you get surprises in the shipments - Thanks to all who sent goodies with their elements. They are much appreciated and a wonderful surprise.

10. Keep a supply of priority postage stamps available so you don't have to stop what you are doing and go get more stamps. You will end up using them at some point anyway - just keep a batch on hand.

11. It is great when participants put their eyelets and fibers in little baggies inside the bigger baggie - Helps a lot with scanning the items into the computer when posting the images online.

12. You get to see a lot of good work by some wonderful scrappers from all over the place. One of the things I enjoyed seeing is what part of the country each scrapper lives in.

Well, this is all good to know with my swaps coming up in June & July!! Thanks so much for posting this! I'll have to make sure to print this out for reference!!

BTW: What are big tyvec envelopes?

I know what you mean about the air out of the baggies.. I fight with mine everytime I package something! :rotfl2:

You did a wonderful job hosting! I hope you will host again soon!!! :banana:

PrincessNancy96 said:
BTW: What are big tyvec envelopes?

The big white envelopes you get at the post office that look like paper with fibers in it. They are hard to tear. That material is called Tyvec.

RealMickeysGirl said:
The big white envelopes you get at the post office that look like paper with fibers in it. They are hard to tear. That material is called Tyvec.
Thank you so much for clarifying!! I'll have to get some of those too!!!

I actually poke a few little holes in my baggies to get the air out.

I love borders!!!!!! I use baggies, not the ziplock baggies and they fit in kitty-cornered. if you roll the bag and close it using a label it works pretty good.

thanks for hosting!!!!! I resisted the urge to look at the pictures but it is killing me!!!

fanofthemouse said:
I actually poke a few little holes in my baggies to get the air out.

I love borders!!!!!! I use baggies, not the ziplock baggies and they fit in kitty-cornered. if you roll the bag and close it using a label it works pretty good.

thanks for hosting!!!!! I resisted the urge to look at the pictures but it is killing me!!!

I thought about poking holes but I thought that the baggies were to keep everything dry in case the package got wet so I was afraid to.

Don't get me wrong - I love borders to - It was just hard to get them into everyone's big baggie. I tried to get everything into the big baggies that everyone sent - just in case the packages got wet - just another layer of protection. Some of them wouldn't fit so they went into the envelopes outside the big baggies.

Thanks for sharing what you've learned and thanks for hosting!

I chose borders to make for my very first swap and I too hated them when the time came to package them up! They didn't fit in the priority envelope so I had to go up to the envelope and I swore I'd never choose that element again! I think the 2 piece idea is great though - maybe I'd reconsider if I tried that.

We all appreciate all the work you put into setting this up, keeping us organized and sending it out! Thanks, Sandy!! :)

If the items aren't too heavy, you can use a regular manila envelope ( the long one) and the price is the same with Priority mail, $4.05.

Just a suggestion about borders. When I have made them for a swap, I wrap them in saran wrap and do not put them in a bag. When mailing them in a flat rate envelope they fit if you criss cross them, and when the swap is returned you only get 2 sets back so they don't take up too much room. This has been my experience with swaps anyway.

Thanks for all the ideas - I really like the saran wrap one.

I want to thank you all again for participating. I had a lot of fun with this, I hope you did to.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter