What if I can't make the expo before the race?

disneycat321

DIS Veteran
Hello! I'm not a disboards newbie, but I'm a total run Disney (and running in general) newbie.

I'd like to do the Star Wars Light Side 10k in January. Seems like a realistic training goal for me. However, I live in the Sacramento area and can't make it down there until after the expo closes on Friday. I'm starting a new teaching job next year and can't take a personal day in conjunction with a 3 day weekend (It's MLK Jr weekend, so I have Monday off.) My flight would probably get in at around 7, and there's no way I'm making it to DLH for the expo by 8.

I've seen elsewhere that I could get my bib Sat morning right before the 10k, and visit the expo later that day for everything else. Is that true? I haven't found super current info, and most of it is from WDW, not DLR. I've also read something about a VIP checkin? What's that? How much is it? I may be willing to shell out extra cash for the convenience.

Thanks! :)

We don't know what's going on with light side right now as registration has been delayed.

In the past they have had race morning bib pick up but there are no guarantees that they will allow you to do that. So while it's up to you to decide what to do I'd recommend either picking another race weekend where you'll have more time or getting in earlier.

We don't know what's going on with light side right now as registration has been delayed.

In the past they have had race morning bib pick up but there are no guarantees that they will allow you to do that. So while it's up to you to decide what to do I'd recommend either picking another race weekend where you'll have more time or getting in earlier.

I did know about the delay. Bummer about the bib pick up. I guess that leaves me with the Avengers race because I have Friday off for Veterans Day weekend. I'm not really into Thor and like Star Wars much better, but I guess I could make it work if needed. I just don't want to take a personal day off, or even a half day, in a brand new job. It probably wouldn't be allowed in conjunction with a 3 day weekend anyway.

Seems like Disney should be a little more flexible with the bib pickup because there must be people traveling from out of the area - I know other destination type races often are. I was just looking at a National Park race that will actually mail it to you for an additional fee.

runDisney will often have a morning pick up that is not advertised and not guarenteed. I would not pay all that money and go on a hope and no guarentee. The Disneyland races are now handled by temp agencies and not volunteers so it is possible they won't set up the same day booth at runner relations.

Seems like Disney should be a little more flexible with the bib pickup because there must be people traveling from out of the area - I know other destination type races often are. I was just looking at a National Park race that will actually mail it to you for an additional fee.

Most large races do not offer same day bib pickup. The fact that Disney may have unadvertised pickup in the morning is very unusual. Like others have said, there's no guarantee they'll continue to do this, so I'd err on the side of caution and get there for the expo.

Alright, good to know. I'll focus my attention elsewhere. Lots of other races out there. Maybe I'll do something with Disney that's not connected to a 3 day weekend (probably Tinkerbell) in a couple years when I'm not probationary and can safely take a personal day. The tradeoff with teaching is that we get lots of time off, but usually have little freedom if we want to take off at other times of year. It is what it is. I'll just go find some races that are local or during my actual vacation times. ;)

Thanks!

Last edited:
Most large races do not offer same day bib pickup. The fact that Disney may have unadvertised pickup in the morning is very unusual. Like others have said, there's no guarantee they'll continue to do this, so I'd err on the side of caution and get there for the expo.

That makes sense. The race I found that does is probably on the smaller side because it's pretty remote. Thanks for clarifying my misconception. :)

There's a service someone enterprising should set up!
I was the same OP. I'm flying from Ireland via SFO (!) and was going to miss my bib pick up, so I've had to rearrange things (including taking an overnight flight) to ensure I'm there for bib pick up.

There's a service someone enterprising should set up!
I was the same OP. I'm flying from Ireland via SFO (!) and was going to miss my bib pick up, so I've had to rearrange things (including taking an overnight flight) to ensure I'm there for bib pick up.

Wow! That's quite a trip! I hope you have an amazing time!

And I agree - I would absolutely pay for that service! Obviously we're already willing to pay the high Disney race price in the first place! ;)

It's incredibly frustrating to be given the doublespeak of "we've offered it in the past but" and then get there and they've got a HUGE tent set up with a permanent pre-made sign for runner relations and they've got all the bibs there that weren't picked up and the notebooks to sign for them and there's a long line of people getting their bibs. Very very frustrating.

I get that they don't want too many people using that option but it just peeves me.

It's incredibly frustrating to be given the doublespeak of "we've offered it in the past but" and then get there and they've got a HUGE tent set up with a permanent pre-made sign for runner relations and they've got all the bibs there that weren't picked up and the notebooks to sign for them and there's a long line of people getting their bibs. Very very frustrating.

Given the alternative of you showing up expecting the huge tent and sign and bibs only to find there's nothing there, I think most people here will continue to qualify their comments. I don't find that to be frustrating at all.

Given the alternative of you showing up expecting the huge tent and sign and bibs only to find there's nothing there, I think most people here will continue to qualify their comments. I don't find that to be frustrating at all.

I don't like the caginess. And then the fact that they totally absolutely have it. If they are going to act like they don't have it, then don't have it.

Dh was really really supposed to be at work and ended up taking that day off to get there on time, and then the tent was there the next morning. So the others that didn't take Disney's answer (which was more doublespeak-y and nonsensical and non-answer-y than what's been said here) so seriously were able to do exactly as he wanted to do. But he took them seriously and could have put his work relationships at risk.

Have it or don't. IMO.

I don't like the caginess. And then the fact that they totally absolutely have it. If they are going to act like they don't have it, then don't have it.

Dh was really really supposed to be at work and ended up taking that day off to get there on time, and then the tent was there the next morning. So the others that didn't take Disney's answer (which was more doublespeak-y and nonsensical and non-answer-y than what's been said here) so seriously were able to do exactly as he wanted to do. But he took them seriously and could have put his work relationships at risk.

Have it or don't. IMO.

If they 100% said they have it then too many people would use it and they wouldn't be able to do to any more. It use to be your bib wasn't there unless you has contacted runDisney with flight issues like week of not months in advance saying you know the posted rules but would like an exception.

Have it or don't. IMO.

If it comes down to "have it or not" it won't be an option for anyone. Far too many people would take the opportunity to skip the Expo and/or come in late or the morning of the race. When you have races with 20,000+ runners it doesn't take a large percentage doing that to become a logistical nightmare for a 5am race start. The current set up allows them to accommodate the true emergencies while discouraging abuse of the system through the uncertainty.

Alright, good to know. I'll focus my attention elsewhere. Lots of other races out there. Maybe I'll do something with Disney that's not connected to a 3 day weekend (probably Tinkerbell) in a couple years when I'm not probationary and can safely take a personal day. The tradeoff with teaching is that we get lots of time off, but usually have little freedom if we want to take off at other times of year. It is what it is. I'll just go find some races that are local or during my actual vacation times. ;)

Thanks!
I have a friend who is a runner and a teacher - when she saw I ran Princess she said she's always wanted to run a Disney race but they never work out with her teaching schedule.

I mean- you could always go for the half! If you came in Friday night or Saturday morning that would leave you time to pick up your bib before the race on Sunday!

Does the district you work in allow banked days? That's how my mom takes off extra days tagged onto holiday weekends. It's the only way she's allowed to take an extra day tagged onto a holiday weekend.

I mean, I wouldn't recommend it for your first year working, of course, but it's something to consider in the future if it's something your district allows.

If it comes down to "have it or not" it won't be an option for anyone. Far too many people would take the opportunity to skip the Expo and/or come in late or the morning of the race. When you have races with 20,000+ runners it doesn't take a large percentage doing that to become a logistical nightmare for a 5am race start. The current set up allows them to accommodate the true emergencies while discouraging abuse of the system through the uncertainty.

I totally get that. I just wish it was even one hour later until 9pm. The flight would get in at 7pm into SNA, so it's just slightly too late. Why can't they change their entire practice for my situation?? :tongue: (haha, obviously kidding!)

I have a friend who is a runner and a teacher - when she saw I ran Princess she said she's always wanted to run a Disney race but they never work out with her teaching schedule.

I mean- you could always go for the half! If you came in Friday night or Saturday morning that would leave you time to pick up your bib before the race on Sunday!

I'm glad (or not glad, because I guess it's unfortunate for us both) that I'm not the only one in this situation! I've thought of the half. But I'm just starting out and the idea of running that far is pretty out of reach right now...not that it could never happen. It would also be kind of a bummer because I wouldn't really be left with a full DLR day. We don't have passes anymore and like to do rope drop to closing and tour hard to take advantage of those expensive tickets. haha!

Does the district you work in allow banked days? That's how my mom takes off extra days tagged onto holiday weekends. It's the only way she's allowed to take an extra day tagged onto a holiday weekend.

I mean, I wouldn't recommend it for your first year working, of course, but it's something to consider in the future if it's something your district allows.

I've been teaching for five years, but next year will be my 1st in this district. I know I can't do anything that "shady" (haha) until after I'm a permanent employee. During my 2 year probationary period, no way. Best behavior! But I'm definitely going to learn my options for the future once I'm in the district. Thanks for the idea. :) Worst comes to worst if I can't tack a day onto a 3 day weekend, Tinkerbell in May could work. Seems like that's the only one that's a normal, 2 day weekend.

Have it or don't. IMO.

Not sure they are being cagey. It was supposed to be for emergencies only. Basically like a delayed flight, etc. (I asked during one of my volunteer shifts) I think everyone repeats the caveat so there is no surprise if they suddenly decided to stop dealing with it. I think they were trying to do a good thing without having to deal with several hundred (or thousand) people on race morning.

I'd say they could have it, but charge for same day pickup.

I have run a couple local races where you can choose to get same day pickup for an extra fee. If I want to pay for that option, then that is my choice.

If rD added an option and fee for same day pickup, some people would use it, but I don't think there would be so many people that it would overwhelm things. Not to mention they would know ahead of time how many people to expect and could staff volunteers accordingly.

I'd say they could have it, but charge for same day pickup.

I have run a couple local races where you can choose to get same day pickup for an extra fee. If I want to pay for that option, then that is my choice.

If rD added an option and fee for same day pickup, some people would use it, but I don't think there would be so many people that it would overwhelm things. Not to mention they would know ahead of time how many people to expect and could staff volunteers accordingly.

I think this is the best approach if you are going to have it. Make it an option at registration and charge a fee for it.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter