What if I can't make the expo before the race?

I'd say they could have it, but charge for same day pickup.

I have run a couple local races where you can choose to get same day pickup for an extra fee. If I want to pay for that option, then that is my choice.

If rD added an option and fee for same day pickup, some people would use it, but I don't think there would be so many people that it would overwhelm things. Not to mention they would know ahead of time how many people to expect and could staff volunteers accordingly.

They tested it at WDW and it was a flop. People just showed up and cried that they didn't know they had to pay for same day as it was never done that way before. It happened at 1 race and then it never resurfaced. That race actually offered packet pick up at your Disney hotel for a fee as well.

Just like with height requirements at rides Disney seems to bring out a sort of entitlement that doesn't happen at other venues and so any time they try to offer a way to make it easier for the rule following people the ones who don't want to follow the rules end up taking advantage. So like parents swapping height wristbands when packet pick up is too convenient there ends up being too much swapping of bibs or sob stories to get pixie dusted. When the decisions are let to race day I think they feel way too much pressure to make the guest happy so don't feel empowered to say no.

Alright, good to know. I'll focus my attention elsewhere. Lots of other races out there. Maybe I'll do something with Disney that's not connected to a 3 day weekend (probably Tinkerbell) in a couple years when I'm not probationary and can safely take a personal day. The tradeoff with teaching is that we get lots of time off, but usually have little freedom if we want to take off at other times of year. It is what it is. I'll just go find some races that are local or during my actual vacation times. ;)

Thanks!
I 100% understand the desire to run Disney but it being so hard on a teacher's schedule. I am also a teacher and would love to do a runDisney event in California, but it's so far away for me and there is so little vacation flexibility. I have done a few race weekends in Florida now but two required taking an unpaid day off and the other was at the tail end of Spring Break so I did not need to take any days off. But 2 of the 3 trips required traveling home the same day as the races, which was a huge bummer and made for very long days.

I would love if runDisney offered some kind of morning-of packet pickup but I understand that it would be a nightmare with the amount of runners. And I'm sure they would charge a small fortune for that kind of service if they made it something you could pay for.

I 100% understand the desire to run Disney but it being so hard on a teacher's schedule. I am also a teacher and would love to do a runDisney event in California, but it's so far away for me and there is so little vacation flexibility. I have done a few race weekends in Florida now but two required taking an unpaid day off and the other was at the tail end of Spring Break so I did not need to take any days off. But 2 of the 3 trips required traveling home the same day as the races, which was a huge bummer and made for very long days.

I would love if runDisney offered some kind of morning-of packet pickup but I understand that it would be a nightmare with the amount of runners. And I'm sure they would charge a small fortune for that kind of service if they made it something you could pay for.

I have the same problem in reverse - I would love to do a WDW run, but that's just not happening! I'll just keep watching the dates (and waiting until I'm not probationary status) and see when things work out. :) Hope you find some more you can do, too!

They tested it at WDW and it was a flop. People just showed up and cried that they didn't know they had to pay for same day as it was never done that way before. It happened at 1 race and then it never resurfaced. That race actually offered packet pick up at your Disney hotel for a fee as well.

Just like with height requirements at rides Disney seems to bring out a sort of entitlement that doesn't happen at other venues and so any time they try to offer a way to make it easier for the rule following people the ones who don't want to follow the rules end up taking advantage. So like parents swapping height wristbands when packet pick up is too convenient there ends up being too much swapping of bibs or sob stories to get pixie dusted. When the decisions are let to race day I think they feel way too much pressure to make the guest happy so don't feel empowered to say no.

Disney needs to learn that no is a complete sentence. As long as they make it perfectly clear it is pre-paid only and literally only bring the packets that pre-paid to race day so there is no "talking your way into it" it will only take one race for people to learn. I criticize rD when they need it but making it clear that race morning packet pickup is only if you pre-select it and then enforce it wouldn't be something they need criticized for.

I have the same problem in reverse - I would love to do a WDW run, but that's just not happening! I'll just keep watching the dates (and waiting until I'm not probationary status) and see when things work out. :) Hope you find some more you can do, too!

So frustrating! I'm also a teacher and taking 3 PTO days this year to do the Wine & Dine 10K. I'm already stressed about it. It's my 4th year in the district and we don't have the "holiday weekend" restriction for taking days off...but it's still hard, as you know! Seems like everyone plans everything for the fall or early spring (not just Disney, but events/vacations in general). Summer is so hot and crowded everywhere, nobody wants to do anything! I hope a race eventually works out for you!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter