What if we have the only kids on the trip?

Grifdog22

Barking Mad!
What if we have the only kids on the trip? Does the rest of the group still "go along" with the kids, and does ABD still do all the scheduled kids stuff, and Junior Adventurers activities, or are we the "oddballs" and do this just on our own? Having other kids and activities for all is what makes this so cool - but what if our regular trip becomes an adult trip, but for us?

I foresee a change in focus if that happens. Anyone experience anything like this? How was it handled?

THANKS

This happened to us. Boy, you will feel like the odd balls or at least we did. The kids still do their normal activities, but the kids night my kids begged not to go. They were the only kids in a group where the average age was 45+. It ruined the trip for us; the kids were planning on having other kids to make friends with and play with.
We felt like we were under pressure for the kids to behave and really not even act like kids. Having not been on another trip with Disney I am not sure what the kids activities were but we felt like the kids were ignored. Some activities they with the kids is a little passport. The passport would go for days and then they would catch up on the stamps in one day.

We felt like we had a disease (children). People would wait to see where we would sit or go and then go in the opposite direction. We just sat in the back of the coach and made it through the week. I know Disney can not control how other people act toward you, but there were some people who never spoke to us the whole week. I would state there was three families who were extra nice and would consider them friends.

Please call Disney and ask about the make-up of your group. I dont want anyone to feel the way we did.

I would hope you don't go through what apparently 4inky went through. We just got back from a Backstage Magic tour that only had one child-13. She was a remarkable young lady that I enjoyed talking to. Our group embraced her and hopefully made her feel special because she was the only child.

If you go during school vacations -do you think this is likely to happen?
We are booked for Quest for the West -June 2009.
I am counting on other kids being there.

If you go during school vacations there should be other families. On our first ABD tour in May 07 (Southwest Splendors) we had about 15 children on the trip.

We are going in late May - and I checked - no kids on the trip yet except ours. Our first ABD trip was in March and it was all families. This trip is all unaccompanied folks, mixed ages none with children. I am VERY concerned now about 4inky's comments - this is a once in a lifetime trip (and expense!)

I would have hoped that the guides would step in to prevent the 4inky outcomes - but it sounds like little efforts were made in that regard. Any suggestions would be welcomed.

Maybe if you spoke to your guides immediately upon arrival and told them your concerns?
I have not went on my ABD yet -but from everything I hear the guides go out of their way to make you happy.

I think it depends on the guides. I wonder if ABD will tell you what guides are scheduled for your trip? Then maybe folks here would be able to tell you about them.

What if we have the only kids on the trip? Does the rest of the group still "go along" with the kids, and does ABD still do all the scheduled kids stuff, and Junior Adventurers activities, or are we the "oddballs" and do this just on our own? Having other kids and activities for all is what makes this so cool - but what if our regular trip becomes an adult trip, but for us?

I foresee a change in focus if that happens. Anyone experience anything like this? How was it handled?

THANKS

What do you mean by still "go along" with the kids. I have never seen Disney not go out of their way for kids but a lot has to do with your perception and how self concious you feel.

I am VERY concerned now about 4inky's comments - this is a once in a lifetime trip (and expense!)

I think yours is (could be) a different situation. 4inky said
The kids still do their normal activities, but the kids night my kids begged not to go.
4inky's children wanted to be with their parents instead of have a separate kids function. Your children may respond differently.
Most of the touring is done as a group anyway, children and adults together.

We went on Viva Italia in late Sept after school started. We brought my mother(retired) and our 2 kids- 9 and 12 at the time. Our 9 yr old was the only official junior adventurer on the trip, but there was another 13 yr old as well. They did not do the jr adventurer thing at the colloseum, but did do the rest of the activities. We had a wonderful group who seemed fine with our kids. Some of the adults skipped the wine presentation and played Bocce Ball with the kids too. I think everyone on the tour was fine with us, though the kids are remarkably well behaved anyhow (if I do say so myself). We were really surprised at the amount of couples traveling on ABD, without kids. It was a great trip and I think everyone loved it.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter