• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

What if we just show up w/o a ressie?

Pig Pen

To all who have come to this happy place...welcome
We are trying to broaden our horizons and decided to take a NON-DISNEY vacation the last week of September. For months we hemmed and hawed about where we would go. We talked about driving to Washington DC or Williamsburg VA. Or maybe we would go to Salem Mass and up the Maine coast.

Then, lo and behold, Jetblue had a sale to Orlando for $59 one way. Okay, we will FLY into Orlando, but we will NOT go to WDW. We booked tickets and rented a car.

Now, that's as far as it's gone. I keep asking DH what he wants to do so I can make plans and he says "let's just play it by ear." Now....I am an obsessive compulsive planner so this is just not working for me. I kept hinting around about the free dining plan, and he said no, he'd rather save our money and points for a trip in March.

Well, yesterday he mentioned maybe stopping by WDW for one afternoon...not go to the parks, but maybe just eat dinner at Boma or O'hana....and maybe spend the night.

What?????? Is he crazy????? I would need to make a PS, a ressie, figure out the Wishes schedule in case we eat at O'hana, figure out what day to go...

He says "Why do we need a ressie? Can't we just show up?"

He's killing me!

Make a reservation anyway and just don't tell him. You'll look really good when he gets turned away, but then you say you already took care of it! It's always good to plan ahead..even just a little.

Your post is my worst nightmare :earseek: . Tell me you have hotel reservations. I am hyperventilating!

All kidding aside, we usually have a plan as to where we want to eat, but we always made the PS (or whatever they are calling it these days) when we got down there. But with this free dining I would be hesitant to not have a PS. Your husband is killing me also! Take a deep breath....I would probably make the PS anyway, like pbharris4 said.

If it were me, I'd say "OK - you take the lead on this trip. We'll do it your way, it'll be nice to just be along for the ride on this trip".

This trip could be painful for someone, but it could very well make that someone appreciate someone else, LOL!

Best wishes-

Now you have made me wonder, can you just show up and use your DVC points for a reservation at the front desk???

Disney Fanatic said:
Now you have made me wonder, can you just show up and use your DVC points for a reservation at the front desk???
Sure - if there is availability.

There are many times of the year when that would most definitely NOT be a good idea (if you didn't have a back up plan), LOL!

Best wishes -

With all the guests on the dining plan, I hope you don't plan to eat at the more popular places at the most popular time. Try some of the less frequented places. We did Concourse Steakhouse for the first time in August (after 18 trips) and we loved it.

Booked Le Cellier for October. The only seating we could get was 8:10--and that was for a party of 2. I would advise you to try to get a ressie now if you want to eat somewhere popular.

Good luck with hubby.

Actually I was talking about a DVC ressie on points. Since it's September, I suspect there would be availability...and in previous Sept visits we have always been able to make a PS (whatever they are calling them now, they will always be PS's to me) the "day of." Maybe that's different now due to free dining.

My DH would totally freak if I asked him to plan ANYTHING. He takes direction very well, but has little initiative...

My other option would be to drag my mother along and get a FL resident discount. :rolleyes1

Why not just leave it be? Free dining will mean restaurants will be packed. If you are actually IN Orlando it would give you the opportunity to eat someplace new.

McMouse Family said:
What's the free dining all about? Haven't heard anything about this.

McMouse Family

The free dining plan is something WDW has going now through the middle of October (I believe). It doesn't apply to DVC members because it is tied to paying rack rate for rooms and we don't technically "pay" and certainly don't pay rack rate even if you figure a "cost" for points.

I suspect that it is going to make getting into restaurants very difficult while its going on.

when DVC are almost new. Some members would show up without a reservation and be told sorry.

my first year I stayed in Sept and dec - both times people were showing up without reservation and being turned away.

Sept - labor day holiday weekend.

spiceycat said:
when DVC are almost new. Some members would show up without a reservation and be told sorry.

I recall they even had something about a whole family group arriving from the UK without reservations but expecting to stay because they were "members". I think it was a reminder to call MS first.

Of course, there are stories of folks who get lucky at the last minute and are able to snag a "day of" reservation.

We sorta showed up without a ressie once. We were to fly back home the day after Hurricane Charlie. Called the airline and airport and both said they would be flying after noon. Well we had a 6 PM flight so we headed on over to the airport. Got there and it was packed!!!! :earseek: While waiting in an endless line to check in they announced the airport was closing due to tornado warnings. So we run to the Budget Kiosk in the garage and get one of the last cars they had. On Route 417 DW calls MS and is told only the resort can do same day reservations. So she calls OKW direct (knowing it's the largest with more rooms and lowest in point cost) and books a studio just as we pull into the HH parking lot. :banana:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter