What is going on with Disney parks?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I mean no disrepect, but I see this narrative on the boards here frequently.
It’s simply not true.
I stay in hotels - different brands, chains, privately owned - A LOT. My husband stays in hotels even more than I do, averaging 5 nights a week.
Neither one of us have ever experienced a mandatory room check like they implemented at WDW. Ever. Not even in busy, touristy area big city hotels.
Non-Disney resorts usually don’t give you the option of declining housekeeping. That’s probably why you don’t notice in other places. If you decline mousekeeping you get the daily room checks. If not mousekeeping counts as your room check.

Non-Disney resorts usually don’t give you the option of declining housekeeping. That’s probably why you don’t notice in other places. If you decline mousekeeping you get the daily room checks. If not mousekeeping counts as your room check.
Where have you been staying that you can't decline housekeeping?

I've stayed at Hilton-owned, MGM-owned hotel (in Vegas I might add), and Drury Inn this year alone in 3 different cities all of which I've declined housekeeping during my stay.

Now some hotel chains have policies regarding how many days before they want to take a peek (edited: corrected spelling) in the room these days but that's a far cry from 'no you can't decline housekeeping'.

Last edited:
Why wouldn’t disney treat those who have bought directly from them and at a higher cost better than those who bought from a reseller at a lower cost? Disney wants you to buy directly from them not from outside places.
I was responding to gorkt’s comment that Disney is focusing on DVC vs. one-time cash visitors, not retail vs. resale.

Yep, I had 2 room checks during my trip a few weeks ago, some people have made it seem like a much bigger deal than it was IMO. Typically I'm not in my room during the day, but I did shower/relax a bit after the races during W&D weekend. Just a quick little hi, how are you doing, anything we can do to improve your stay. Ok, bye. Definitely far from a bother and if it helps keep one person safe, then to me it's worth it. And if it bothers someone that much, just put the latch on the door, they can't get in. Something that I do once I'm in the room every single time, regardless of where I'm staying.

This. We had a check during our trip. It wasn't a big deal at all, and it baffles me that people complain about this.

Every hotel I've ever stayed in have always had the option to decline housekeeping. Actually, I've never seen a hotel that doesn't give u this option. That's what the little "do not disturb" is for, declining housekeeping.

Every hotel I've ever stayed in have always had the option to decline housekeeping. Actually, I've never seen a hotel that doesn't give u this option. That's what the little "do not disturb" is for, declining housekeeping.
Every hotel I've stayed at still comes to service your room. If the sign is out they just come back later. But those signs are nearly gone everywhere now anyway. Not just at Disney.

Whenever I've checked in to resorts, no matter the city, I've never been asked if I'd like to decline housekeeping. Not once.

But I stick by what I said in that these checks are becoming the norm everywhere. In most cases housekeeping does the check of the room and no one even notices.

Every hotel I've stayed at still comes to service your room. If the sign is out they just come back later. But those signs are nearly gone everywhere now anyway. Not just at Disney.
Housekeeping hasn't cleaned my room, replaced any toiletries, made the bed or anything else when the sign is up at any hotel that I've stayed at in recent times. No one has attempted to knock on the door or anything when the sign is up. If they have they sure had spidey sense that I wasn't in the room at the time.

I'm not even talking about your side conversation about room checks. You made the claim that you can't decline housekeeping at non-Disney hotels. I sure have been able to and I'm pretty sure I would notice a made bed, new towels, refilled toiletries and straighted up counters :confused3

We still see and use the do not disturb sign at every hotel we go to (other then Disney). Nobody bothers us when the sign is left on.

Whenever I've checked in to resorts, no matter the city, I've never been asked if I'd like to decline housekeeping. Not once.
The Drury Inn offers us reward points you can use for free stays when you decline housekeeping.

But I stick by what I said in that these checks are becoming the norm everywhere. In most cases housekeeping does the check of the room and no one even notices.

What hotels have you stayed in where u hang the do not disturb sign but they still clean ur room? I've never had this happen and like all the other posters pointed out, we would know if they cleaned the room. Every hotel I stay in either has me intial to decline housekeeping or they just use the sign. Actually, alot of the hotels that I've used recently have a new sign, its basically a go green sign that asks you to consider reusing your towels and wash clothes more than once to help the environment. It's another form of decline housekeeping sign and no they dont sneak in later and change them out anyway. My sample size of hotels are small so I cant guarantee that some hotels dont honor the do not disturb sign and still clean ur room but I stay in hotels about 16 days out of the year, all at different times in different hotels.

We still see and use the do not disturb sign at every hotel we go to (other then Disney). Nobody bothers us when the sign is left on.

The Drury Inn offers us reward points you can use for free stays when you decline housekeeping.

Similar to the Drury Inn reward points for declining, Holiday Inn Express by Indy offers free breakfast if you decline housekeeping. This is where we park, sleep, fly for our Florida trip.

Similar to the Drury Inn reward points for declining, Holiday Inn Express by Indy offers free breakfast if you decline housekeeping. This is where we park, sleep, fly for our Florida trip.
Our Holiday Inn Express here has free breakfast regardless. My friend manages one here.

I’ve stayed at several resort hotels like Great Wolfs, Kalaharis, several Cedar Fair properties, and 5 or 6 vegas hotels, granted Vegas has been a couple years. I’ve also stayed at Holiday Inns, Marriotts, Renaissance. I’ve never once been asked to decline housekeeping. 💁‍♀️ Maybe I look suspicious and they want to check out what I’m up to. Who knows. That’s just been my experience in the last few years.

Between my husband’s 4-5 nights a week in hotels, & my 2-3 nights a week in hotels - neither one of us has ever had an issue leaving the “do not disturb” type of sign on the door.
Ever.
They’re not doing “room checks.”

There are so many really great points in this thread in reference to the diminished guest experience at WDW.
I’d like to add one teeny, little gripe.
Wall mounted toiletries.
Yuck.

Thank you!

And how much longer until they add a card reader to those things for extra pumps?! :scratchin

I understand the conservation aspect. But spending >$200 night a few years back at POR and having those in the shower just seemed beyond wrong......

What hotels have you stayed in where u hang the do not disturb sign but they still clean ur room?

I actually have had that happen once within the last 2 years, though I can't recall which hotel it was. Maybe somewhere in Vegas? I remember feeling a little bad about it, because I hadn't left a tip for housekeeping that day, because I hadn't intended for them to come in and clean. But then I thought, well, that's on them.

Lots of people are grossed out about them, but not me. I like them too. :)
I hate bottle/tube clutter at the side of my tub. Lol.
I too prefer the wall mounted over rummaging thru tiny bottles of what my family left behind :D

Little bottles overall waste way more plastic and product. I'm guilty of bringing them home in the past and tossing them a year later unused (they were so cute with the mickey caps). Add to that the high ratio of plastic per product and the frequency of half used bottles being tossed.

The discomfort with wall mounted tampering is understandable, but none of these products have tamper seals whether bought or provided. We're at the mercy of the general public to behave regardless.

Do not disturb signs being effectively useless like they are in Disney is not something I’ve experienced anywhere else. In most cases they mean and are treated as don’t try and enter my room, we don’t want anyone in here.

This is why when the room checks were first started so many people were shocked the signs were not being respected. It isn’t the norm.

I too prefer the wall mounted over rummaging thru tiny bottles of what my family left behind :D

Little bottles overall waste way more plastic and product. I'm guilty of bringing them home in the past and tossing them a year later unused (they were so cute with the mickey caps). Add to that the high ratio of plastic per product and the frequency of half used bottles being tossed.

The discomfort with wall mounted tampering is understandable, but none of these products have tamper seals whether bought or provided. We're at the mercy of the general public to behave regardless.
They have to be tamper proof before I would think about using them.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!