What is going on with ECV - policy change Nov 1. 2012

Disneypubgal

Disneyphile
Just received a call from my ecv rental guy about my Feb 2013 trip and he said he can no longer drop ECV off with bell hop prior to my arrival (flight gets in at MCO at 6pm)... that we would have to wait until the next day for it to be dropped off!!

He said that Disney will only allow certain providers to drop off day of and that the others needed to give scooter directly to guests.... This is not fair!! Especially for guests arriving late in the day!

Call BW this morning and was told that if utilized a Disney sponsored provider that I could have scooter dropped off and stored with Bell service until we arrive. The approved provider is considerably more expensive!

Disney private propriety they have the right to limit who can come on property just look at the taxi they Only allow mears to sit on property. They also limit who can come in diet wilderness and drop off golf carts.

Were you given a list of authorized providers? I'm wondering if they've been having difficulties with certain vendors not picking up in a timely manner or giving them a hard time claiming damage or they've been getting guest complaints about issues with certain companies resulting in this kind of rule.

My understanding is that the "preferred" providers are paying Disney to drop off and pick up! Which would explain why there pricing is much higher...

I get that they want to limit access and it is private property, but this is a change from prior practices and a more expensive one for the consumer/guest...

One of the things that has made Disney a frequent destination for us is how "disability friendly" the resorts and parks are....

I will say this, I just received a call back from BW and they are willing to "accommodate" us with something alternative until the next day when our scooter will arrive.

Did they give you a list of authorized providers to look into? Knowing this will help a lot of people with their planning.

Te reason they limit the golf cart was because they was Gavin a theft problem at the camp ground. Not saying it was the vendors but would have more control I they had prefers vendors who would depend on the contract to keep their employees in line.

Disneypubgal said:
My understanding is that the "preferred" providers are paying Disney to drop off and pick up! Which would explain why there pricing is much higher...

I get that they want to limit access and it is private property, but this is a change from prior practices and a more expensive one for the consumer/guest...

One of the things that has made Disney a frequent destination for us is how "disability friendly" the resorts and parks are....

I will say this, I just received a call back from BW and they are willing to "accommodate" us with something alternative until the next day when our scooter will arrive.

See bwi and bwv are good an making things right Maybe they will add more providers. But may he also this Is a way that you can just call Disney and tey could set it up for you instead of you having to go to multiple places to mak reservations.

Did they give you a list of authorized providers to look into? Knowing this will help a lot of people with their planning.

They didn't but if you contact the resort directly they will provide you with a list. I would assume that list will evolve over time.

See bwi and bwv are good an making things right Maybe they will add more providers. But may he also this Is a way that you can just call Disney and tey could set it up for you instead of you having to go to multiple places to mak reservations.

They did make it better, not great, but I appreciate the help. Disney is not making the reservation for the ECV for you, they just want you to utilize the preferred vendor...

I guess I'm confused. How do you know that the approved providers are so much more expensive if you don't know who the approved providers are?

Disneypubgal said:
They did make it better, not great, but I appreciate the help. Disney is not making the reservation for the ECV for you, they just want you to utilize the preferred vendor...

I know their not but may be once thy get a list an work out other things they could one day offer that service.

clanmcculloch said:
I guess I'm confused. How do you know that the approved providers are so much more expensive if you don't know who the approved providers are?

Maybe when she called they gave her some names an she priced them out. Then found out they was more money since it more then one company then it means that they can add more later. So other company can be added to ten list.

Now hear me out buy wouldn't it be better for you I let's say Disney partners with walker. Or some company and let's say out source the wheel chair and ecv rental at the park an for new ones that you could rent in the morning at one park then rerun to another or resort. And have a desk at each hotel where you be able to rent one or if you have problems with it. Or how they have the company give ap or Dvc discounts.

I'm sure you, the OP could arrange for an early morning delivery of a scooter from a non-approved scooter company once you are there. You might be giving up a few hours of park time doing it.

By the time you, the OP reach the Disney resort on your day of travel in the evening most of the day is gone, anyway.

For all others my suggestion would be to find the latest delivery possible from a non-approved scooter company and get your air flights arranged according to the scooter delivery time possible if you don't want to do an approved scooter company.

For those with a car, you can probably pick up a scooter yourself from the non-approved scooter company's location.

I was wondering when this was going to happen. The bell hops have to do more work handling scooters and Disney wasn't getting paid for it. Also, the extra handling of the scooters takes the bell hop away from other work they need to do. Bell hops were probably not getting enough tips for doing this scooter service, either.

I think we were all lucky that this didn't happen sooner.

Hopefully, the list of approved scooter companies will get larger and more competitive.

Now hear me out buy wouldn't it be better for you I let's say Disney partners with walker. Or some company and let's say out source the wheel chair and ecv rental at the park an for new ones that you could rent in the morning at one park then rerun to another or resort. And have a desk at each hotel where you be able to rent one or if you have problems with it. Or how they have the company give ap or Dvc discounts.

I suppose, but he needs ECV for the whole day including at the resort.... he would not be able to walk from Epcot back to Boardwalk or even Beach Club....

I'm sure you, the OP could arrange for an early morning delivery of a scooter from a non-approved scooter company once you are there. You might be giving up a few hours of park time doing it.

This is exactly what we did!!

Disneypubgal said:
I suppose, but he needs ECV for the whole day including at the resort.... he would not be able to walk from Epcot back to Boardwalk or even Beach Club....

Sorry I was typing on my phone I meant if their going to go to preferred vendors then they should just partner with one. And have them operate the wheelchair and ecv rental ten maybe they could rent it for the whole day and be able to take it to another park. Then if you need one when you get their an check in and forgot to call ahead their be a someone their hat could help get one. It just an idea that I know dose not make to much sense but just think Disney in the long run would save money by doing this and five the guest a little better experience. Because now if one break they can replace it quicker.

What were the companies that they told you were preferred providers? They must have named some since you checked the price. I am also confused as to who you are trying to rent your scooter from. It might only be that that company is not allowed to do this.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter