What is going on with the FP+ crackdown?

Status
Not open for further replies.
But I thought the suggestion was to require physical check-in if you are staying only one night. Maybe two. Anyone staying longer than that can do online check-in. That cuts down on the staff.
I'm not following that logic when it comes to CMs being staffed. No matter what they would need to account for more people being physically checked in than it is now. 1 night vs 3 nights doesn't make a difference in staff being there when you consider that people check in and check out on various dates in fact it could likely lead to more CMs being needed.

Guest A has 1 night scheduled
Guest B has 3 nights scheduled

Both guests check in on the same day and both used to use online check in

Now you want Guest A to have to physically check in...ok well that's just one Guest right? But no you have to consider all other guests that will also be checking in on the same day as Guest A and Guest B.

The throwaway room isn't just campsites. The campsites just happen to be the most economical way-values have been used for that too so I'm trying to imagine how that would go down there.

But why would Disney stop a throwaway room? It's a standard revenue generator in the industry in multiple tourist-heavy areas. Hotel chains LOVE them b/c they get to sell the room and incur almost NO COSTS from the guests for it...no utilities used, no damage to the rooms/sites, etc.

Again, if anything, Disney will decide to just raise the price or reduce the bennies for these sites, but no way do they want to stop people from booking them at full price 18 months out...

The more campers complain, the more they will eventually screw themselves...and this comes from someone with no skin in the game b/c I would never pay for a throwaway just for a few 2 penny Chinese-made plastic bands and a "queue spot"...

:sad2: They paid for the room. If they checked in, they can use the site however they like. Sleep in the car, sleep in a hammock or trailer or night sack. It's just extra labor for Disney and all it would do is annoy the paying customer. Other campgrounds do that but other campgrounds get a lot of drive by customers. Disney does that, and the site just remains empty, and guest service deals with fast pass cancellations.

I literally see no benefit at all for Disney to do that as long as the person actually paid for the site.
Okay well pitch a hammock. LOL.

They can use the site however they like. Okay. But they aren't actually using the site.

But yes, that's why the throwaway loophole works. Because people know Disney can't physically make them stay on the site for the night.

Yes, I know it's something Disney will have a hard time fighting if they choose to. And I personally don't think anyone here is going to come up with the solution.

But just because Disney can't come up with a way to stop it and do it in a way that's fair to other guests, doesn't mean it's right. It's a cheat and it's taking away from others, but that doesn't seem to be the concern to those that do it. All they care about is they can get away with it.

One question to ask, does Disney even think it's a cheat? Throw away rooms that is. I think there's been quite a bit of putting words in their mouths of late, based on a decision to crack down on folks "selling" Disney services without Disney making money on them. Because no matter how else you want to look at it, that's why they stopped this whole FP thing. Someone sold a way to use it

They can use the site however they like. Okay. But they aren't actually using the site.

But yes, that's why the throwaway loophole works. Because people know Disney can't physically make them stay on the site for the night.

Yes, I know it's something Disney will have a hard time fighting if they choose to. And I personally don't think anyone here is going to come up with the solution.

But just because Disney can't come up with a way to stop it and do it in a way that's fair to other guests, doesn't mean it's right. It's a cheat and it's taking away from others, but that doesn't seem to be the concern to those that do it. All they care about is they can get away with it.
I honestly have to wonder if you've thought about real world application. Say you have a roommate who never stays at the apartment. However each month they pay their rent and portion of utilities. Are they a cheat because they are preventing another person from becoming a roommate?

What about this past weekend when my husband and in-laws with to the Lake...mother-in-law didn't want to have to leave by 11am for check out at the for rent by owner condo we stayed at but she didn't want to stay the night either...however she went ahead and had us book that night anyways. Are we cheats because we paid for a night at the condo simply for late check out rather than to actually sleep there that night? We left at 4pm and check in for another person would have been 3 pm FWIW.

There are other examples I'm sure I'm just not coming up with.

I'm not for nor against the throwaway room just making observations here.

By the same reasoning I could say that if you're wealthy, you're cheating those less wealthy if you choose to stay in a value because the poorer family can't stay in a deluxe but you could, so you're taking away their chance to stay on property. Those people paid for their site. The other campers had the exact same chance to book said site. It's not a cheat. They paid for the privilege. They're not violating TOS because there is no TOS that dictates how much time you should spend in your hotel room.

I'd honestly be curious to know how much of an effect this really has. I stayed in a tent loop last July for more than a week. There was only one night one site didn't have a tent. Maybe it was a throwaway. Maybe it was just a gap or people departed a day early. But either way, that one empty slot had no effect on me or anyone's chances to use it, because even if it was a throwaway, what are the chances someone would want just one night on the tent site that exact day?

One night camping reservations only within 30 days. And most campers would not object to a 2 night minimum because the majority of campers at Fort Wilderness are not 1 nighters. This isn't a place you pull off the interstate for on the way to south Florida.
Ending the FP loophole is also going to help with this problem though because many people did it for the up to 10 bands and their "extra" benefits. Those bands are pretty worthless now for what they were previously used for.

By the same reasoning I could say that if you're wealthy, you're cheating those less wealthy if you choose to stay in a value because the poorer family can't stay in a deluxe but you could, so you're taking away their chance to stay on property. Those people paid for their site. The other campers had the exact same chance to book said site. It's not a cheat. They paid for the privilege. They're not violating TOS because there is no TOS that dictates how much time you should spend in your hotel room.

I'd honestly be curious to know how much of an effect this really has. I stayed in a tent loop last July for more than a week. There was only one night one site didn't have a tent. Maybe it was a throwaway. Maybe it was just a gap or people departed a day early. But either way, that one empty slot had no effect on me or anyone's chances to use it, because even if it was a throwaway, what are the chances someone would want just one night on the tent site that exact day?

I had also been thinking about the wealthy vs. less wealthy situation.
Disney allows a family to enjoy their $200K RV on one of their campsites for less $ per night than a value resort.
The family loves to camp & loves their RV, especially as it keeps them in air conditioned comfort during the 100 degree heat index summer days.

I had also been thinking about the wealthy vs. less wealthy situation.
Disney allows a family to enjoy their $200K RV on one of their campsites for less $ per night than a value resort.
The family loves to camp & loves their RV, especially as it keeps them in air conditioned comfort during the 100 degree heat index summer days.
Don't forget that some people live in those RV's. Also they don't all cost a fortune or at least the one we used once didn't. That thing was a bit of a mess.

I wonder if Disney allows the portable tiny houses?

They should make them pitch a tent too. Empty campsite that is booked should be easy to spot. Cancel any FPs for that reservation.

But the suggestion was to require physical check-in if you are staying only one night. Maybe two. Anyone staying longer than that can do online check-in. That cuts down on the staff.

This is really going in a twilight zone direction. :jester:

Just call me amazed that people would tent camp at Disney in the summer in that heat:crazy2:

I can see the other times of the year but not when its HOT. I'd think at those times the throwaway rooms would be a win-win for Disney. But what do I know:crazy:.

Just call me amazed that people would tent camp at Disney in the summer in that heat:crazy2:

I can see the other times of the year but not when its HOT. I'd think at those times the throwaway rooms would be a win-win for Disney. But what do I know:crazy:.

Some of them bring portable window air conditioners. All the sites have electric hook up so they just plug in and use it in the tent.

My opinion like others is that this is not an issue at all or an issue worth paying to fix for Disney. If they really got a lot of complaints from campers about availability, and they don't want the hassle of a programming fix, how about this? Add a spot on online checkin to "opt out" of your site space so that it can be used by others.

I'm sure Disney's bean counters love people that pay for rooms and never set foot in them. The room occupancy percentages go up. Revenues go up and there are more happy customers with magical vacations.

It's not really as bad as it sounds. I had a fan, the evening was kind of nice, and it was certainly quieter than a motel. Bathrooms have a/c. When you think about it, you're outside all day anyway.

Afternoons are brutal and you do have to like camping because I'd rate it medium difficulty- I mean, it's not for the people who are budgeters, it's for people who actually enjoy camping. But it's a spectacular campground, and I'm a summer camper- prefer heat over snow.

I was kind of surprised to find that this is definitely a communal feeling campground. It feels like the state parks i camp at at home- family reunions, people who do the trip every year. Kids have bikes and go to the pools and there are wild animals. Even if throwaway campsites didn't exist,there'd still be people who didn't get a site- it's very popular.

This is my "Bottom Line $$$" opinion on the throw away room and why they don't care too much.
If someone books a week or so stay to get the benefits, they probably have booked it with a discount months ahead, if they pay for 1 night and leave the other nights open WDW can then get top dollar from last minute bookings.
Less FP'S ..... but more money for them.
Of course this really only matters during peak times when resorts are full.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter