What is one of your fondest childhood memories?

With my family, the best times were Friday nights at home. We'd turn the lights off, light candles, have a fire in the wood stove and my dad, a career DJ, would play all his favourite music----a much wider variation than any station he ever worked for allowed---just hanigng out loving good music together. I'd dance and dance and try not to make a record skip by bouncing to too much and my parents would talk about memories they had from different songs, etc.

Another, not really fmaily one, that jumped to mind was:

As a kid we went to the laundry mat every Sunday. We went to a staffed one after being held up at a non staffed one. We got to know the owner really well---he was always nice to me. Both of my parents worked and I attended day camp all summer and wanted to go to the sleepover version at hte same camp. My parents would save and usually manage a week or two---one year I got to go for three weeks. If you stayed more than 2 weeks they sent your laundy out to be done. When our bags came back, inside of mine was a shoebox filled with candy and coloring books and a note from the owner of the laundrymat (who, obviously, did the camp's laundry) telling me he missed my smiling face on Sundays and was hoped I was having fun at camp. I felt so special.

It is hard to write of one, but since I was thinking of mountains and hills this morning, when growing in central California we lived on a large hill in the country. The view was spectacular. On a clear day we could see all the way to the Cascade Mountains bordering Oregon. And with the many hills in the area, friends and I would take cardboard boxes and cut them up to resemble sleighs. When the prairie grass was slick, we would ride the sleigh boxes down the hills. It was always a thrill with how fast and far we could travel.

The first time I rode a horse solo. Just having that wind in my face and the feeling that I was doing this on my own. Riding something that was such a a beautiful and strong animal and this animal had to trust me 100% and I had to do the same with him. It was an amazing feeling. I have mounted and rode many since then and each ride is still exhilarating, but nothing is like the first solo ride.

Round 2 if that's allowed I was in 6th grade we went on transit authority and my classmate goes at one point it looks like we are going on space mountain after all I am freaking out and the adult in charge said it a bold face lie this ride is just. Tour of tomorrow land

Going down to Vermont to the beach. We would go for church picnic as well as other times with our Neighbourhood friends it was my facourite place to go every summer..

Many great memories. I remember going to my dad's parents for the holidays, we alternated Thanksgiving and Christmas. My dad is one of 4. His family, and his 2 brother's families would all pile into my grandparents 3 bed 2 bath house for about a week. So many fantastic memories of walking to the park, going to my aunt's for nacho night, playing cards, making up games. Just a wonderful time. My mom's parents lived super close to my family, so we were there all the time. I spent many nights at my grandparents house, even as an adult.

Breakoff from another thread. I recently described to my Adult children that grocery stores used to be about 1/10 the size they are now. (probably smaller yet) ONE flavor Cherrios, ONE size WonderBread, One kind of crackers SALTINES, ONE size,flavor OREo's etc. They couldn't grasp it completely.

One of my fondest childhood memories was being at my grandparents home. They lived right in the center of town. There was a mom and pop "grocery" store down the street and around the corner. It had either One or Two aisles. THAT WAS IT! And this is where my grandparents ( and uncles still living at home then) bought the food for the family every week. I loved being asked by grandpa to go get him a pack of smokes and tell them to put it on their "account" That was a stiff cardboard card in a box alphabetized with all the customer's names. Sometimes grandma would ask me get a loaf of bread or ask the butcher for a few pounds ox xxx.
I cherish those times!!
This sounds EXACTLY like the general store in the remote, rural community where I grew up. I haven't thought about it in years! I remember marvelling at different food products advertised on TV - fancy stuff I never saw in real life like spray-cheese and Lucky Charms cereal! :goodvibes

Another childhood fond memory happened after we moved to the state of Illinois. In early December of every year dad had a convention to attend in Orlando. We would turn it into a Disney event. We'd drive to Nashville, the half way point, spend a night or two there seeing the Country Music venues, and shop at a discount mall. Then it was onto Disney World for the remainder of the week. Dad would spend his time at the convention and the rest of us would spend time at Disney and Epcot. Dad would typically meet up with us when time allowed.

First summer going to meet family in Newfoundland, Canada from Ontario. It makes me HOME sick though just remembering it... sigh. :fish:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter