What is the weirdest phobia?

reecejackox

DIS Veteran
I would say for me - Fireworks also when I was younger eating anything which smelt of strawberries.

The front desk receptionist in the office i used to work at had a phobia of balloons... She didn't last very long because folks were often receiving flower and/or balloon deliveries on their birthdays or holidays..

A good friend of mine has a phobia about shoes. She's convinced that if she buys you shoes you'll use them to walk out of her life. Apparently this happened with two ex boyfriends and other random friends.

Not really a phobia but the thought of wood grosses me out and makes me gag. I cannot eat anything on a stick or use toothpicks and if I see anyone else doing it, I gag as well.

I read tons (hundreds, maybe thousands) of bad dystopian fiction (this is total brain candy, make no mistake, this is garbage for the most part, I wish I could say I read more actual literature) and I'm scared to death of living in that world, be it zombies, EMP, nukes, aliens, I want to go out in the first wave. I'm also irrationally afraid of cannibals, why do I care what happens to me after I die? I don't but the idea of being eaten is terrifying. Zombies don't exist so why am I afraid?

Not a phobia but I can’t stand the sound and feel of sandpaper. It gives me the heebie jeebies.

Last edited:
My coworker is terrified of cotton balls. We thought she was joking but she wasn’t.

Not really a phobia but the thought of wood grosses me out and makes me gag. I cannot eat anything on a stick or use toothpicks and if I see anyone else doing it, I gag as well.

I have this fear as well and I think it stems from my friend getting a sliver of wood stuck in her throat. She ate dinner out with some work friends and they went somewhere, Chinese food I think, where meat was served on wooden sticks. She must have eaten a sliver of wood with the steak and it was stuck in her throat. She had to go to the dr. to get it removed. Ever since then, I don't want to eat anything on a stick.

I don't know how I got it, but I have a phobia of stepping on boxes to flatten them. It creeps me out for some reason.

My coworker is terrified of cotton balls. We thought she was joking but she wasn’t.

I was just going to post this about a man that my husband works with. The guys at work are always tormenting him by putting cotton balls in his coat pockets, hat, locker, basically anywhere they can slip them in without him noticing. The worst was when these jackholes filled his entire car with cotton balls. DH and a couple of other guys actually cleaned the car out so the poor guy could go home.

The only other phobia I can think of that's as odd as the cotton balls is doorknobs. A friend has a phobia of doorknobs and is has nothing to do with germs, I still haven't figured out what could have caused that phobia since the phobia only started when she was in her 30's.

I’m terrified of ladybugs.

OMG, I used to be scared of ladybugs, too! I don't even know why, and it went on for years. I think I had a dream that I was attacked by ladybugs, and it just grew from there. Then once when I was fishing (which I've done maybe 3 times in my entire life), I was seriously attacked by ladybugs! We were down by a river and I had them swarming me and landing all over me, and I'm having some anxiety just thinking about it. Apparently that fear hasn't completely left me yet.

OMG, I used to be scared of ladybugs, too! I don't even know why, and it went on for years. I think I had a dream that I was attacked by ladybugs, and it just grew from there. Then once when I was fishing (which I've done maybe 3 times in my entire life), I was seriously attacked by ladybugs! We were down by a river and I had them swarming me and landing all over me, and I'm having some anxiety just thinking about it. Apparently that fear hasn't completely left me yet.

OMG I would have jumped in the water lol

I have no idea where my fear came from but it’s very real. The worst part is knowing there could be one on you and you wouldn’t even know until you touched it and it was all hard *shudder*

Okay, on the same thread, I can't eat or drink if there's a screw/ bolt lying or rubberband around within view. No clue why!

Not sure if this is a phobia...but my MIL has to leave out the same way she came into a store, my home, church, etc... One day I was teasing and told her she had to go out the garage even though she came in the front door. She became very upset and agitated with me. I told her I was joking and never did that again.

Edited: Just thought of one for me! I can’t eat food and watch tv that has wild animals or the hoarders show on. Weird I know!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!