What is the worst damage that has been caused to your home?

The worst part -- she was only 25 years old and had just had her license returned after being taken for a year due to seizures and her car was only 2 weeks old. Apparently, she lied in order to get it back, saying she hadn't had any seizures in the year.

i hope she was prosecuted to the full extent of the law. years ago we had family friends who lost their 20 something dd and her 3 year old ds when another driver who had lied regarding his seizures to get his license back had one on a southern california freeway. his car hit the center divider, became airborne and sliced the top off the dd/dgs's v.w. bug killing them instantly. i view this kind of driving no differently than a dui.

i hope she was prosecuted to the full extent of the law. years ago we had family friends who lost their 20 something dd and her 3 year old ds when another driver who had lied regarding his seizures to get his license back had one on a southern california freeway. his car hit the center divider, became airborne and sliced the top off the dd/dgs's v.w. bug killing them instantly. i view this kind of driving no differently than a dui.

I didn't follow it. I know she was cited, and the town police on-scene were quite terse with her, but didn't arrest her. It really could've been much worse -- she crossed four lanes of traffic and the car jumped the curb to get to our fence.

Our mobile home burned. We built a site house. Katrina put a tree through our bedroom. Dh was able to do all the repairs though.

Tree limb crashed onto the roof of the house. Multiple leaks into the house. It's one of the reasons why I don't live next to trees anymore.

Hurricane that made its way all the way up to the Northeast years ago. Lost our water line, septic tank collapsed underground, tree damage to roof. $20,000 later it was fixed. :(

OP, if you were aware of what I've been posting on various threads the last few months you would know what kind of damage my DH and I just went through. :) So I will just simply say before the biggie, a bird hit our window and broke it.

My ex broke a large window, had it repaired and a tree limb went through it during a storm.

In a different house we had a water leak while out of town. It was a large house and the entire first floor flooring had to be replaced. I remember we spent about 5k to upgrade from the basic hardwood we had to something nicer and I loved it. Would have never torn out the original hardwood otherwise so that one was kinda a blessing.

Does Inlaws moving in count .
No but on a serious note one night we came home to see water coming out of our crawl space. Turns out while we were out the pipes had burst under our house we had gotten home just in time!

Nothing super major and a bit confusing to explain but basically we had a leak in the bathroom for who knows how long because it took forever to see since we have 2 kitchen ceilings (the original one and then they dropped down about 2 feet to install another ceiling for can lighting I guess, no idea really we didn’t know that for the longest time either) Anyways our almost 100 year old house still had some original pipes that needed to be replaced.

Old house: A backup in the sewer line caused sewage to back up into our basement. Fortunately, our basement wasn't finished and we only had a small area to clean up. Some of our neighbors weren't as lucky. The bad news was that it happened whlle we were on vacation. Because of danger of explosion from sewer + gas, the gas company cut gas service to our house... then couldn't come to check/turn it back on for 3 days after we got home.... so our house was without power for almost a week in February. We're very lucky the pipes didn't freeze, etc.

New house: We moved into this house as a new build. About 10 years after we moved in DH wanted to change out the woodwork. When he pulled the baseboard off the wall in the living room, there was black mold behind it. And the further we investigated, the worse it looked. Turns out, the upstairs master bedroom window had been improperly installed and had apparently been leaking for years, but all of the damage was inside the wall (not noticeable from either inside or outside the house.) However, the studs and the header from the downstairs living room window were completely rotten. But long story short: They basically had to tear the front of our house off and replace it before it fell off by itself. Ugh. And, of course, that happened during the winter, too.

Last edited:
We had about $30,000 of damage to our house in a hail storm two years ago. Additional $5,000 to my car as I was driving home when it started. Our insurance replaced everything for the house (roof, siding, 2 AC units, gutters, ect ect) with no hassle or pushback. Thats why we have the same company/agent for our new house. Them making it stress free was invaluable to us (and thank goodness we went with the low deductible because ouch otherwise).

The hail storm itself didnt seem too scary in the moment (I guess because we didnt know better) and we were kind of in awe of its destructive power. It was like it was raining golf balls of ice.

Hurricane Hugo in 1989.....four feet of salt water and also puff mud and sewage in most of my house, more in lower part; also had roof damage and lost over 20 mature trees. I had 2 toddlers at the time, and I would pack snacks and (new) toys and would go stand in line at the FEMA office all day to try to get a flood insurance adjuster to come to the house. We finally got a FEMA adjuster about five weeks after the storm. It cost more to repair the house than we paid for it, and we moved around various rentals until we could get back in the house 6 1/2 months later. I count my blessings...there were plenty of folks who were much worse off. There was no housing assistance for flood damage so we were paying rent plus the mortgage, which was difficult.

Edited/correction - we didn't get a flood adjuster to come to the house until 2 months later. He allowed $400 to rewire the entire house and made other serious errors, and our contractor had to meet with him to make corrections.

Last edited:
My friend's house had a pipe leakage in their home and they were not at home at that time which actually damaged their whole property. They tried to claim their insurance, but they were kind of upset about all this and were unable to think anything about how to handle this situation and claim proper insurance what they deserve. So they thought of appointing a public adjuster who helped them to claim their insurance with proper documentation. So, if anybody is in a situation like this making sure to contact public adjuster experts like Alliance Public adjuster and there are many more. They represent you, inspect your damage and estimate total cost you deserve. So, if anybody is in this situation ever don't forget to contact a public adjuster.

I bought my current home almost 7 years ago. I moved and put my old house for sale. One day I went over and noticed dirty footprints on the kitchen floor. I thought someone had looked at the house, I grabbed a paper towel and went to the sink to wet it and there was no water. I went down to the basement and there was water all over the floor and the door was broken in. Someone broke in and took all the copper pipes. It cost me over $2200 to get fixed. My homeowners had been canceled because it was vacant and the vacant house insurance I got had a $5000 deductible. Was so glad to get it sold.

At my old house a tree fell on my roof and did a pretty substantial amount of damage. The worst part of it was that it happened the same day my cat died (the two were totally unrelated). It was just a bad day all around.

At the house we are in now, our power was out because of a storm and we didn't know that the battery backup for our sump pumps had gone bad, so the pumps didn't run all night. We woke up to about 2 inches of water in our basement. Luckily it didn't ruin any of our electronics or furniture, but we did have to have a water removal company come and clean it up and had to get new carpet.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter