What is this world coming to?? Teens record man drowning and do nothing to help

Disney1fan2002

<font color=red>Like OMG the TF is SOO psyched to
Not only that, he was missing for 3 days, so they just left him there.

http://www.cnn.com/2017/07/20/us/florida-teens-drowning-man/index.html

No crime, no time. I think it is time to make "doing nothing" a crime. The whole controversy on Michelle Carter and her boyfriend's suicide comes to mind. If there was no proof that she had coaxed him back into the truck, she would have got off. You can witness a suicide in progress, do nothing to intervene, and no law has been broken.

What is up with these teenagers and death not being a big deal? Are they that desensitized from movies and video games? SCARY

(I skimmed the article, but I did not watch the video.)

I think it is time to make "doing nothing" a crime.

Even though I think what they did was awful, I don't think we can make "not helping" a crime. I find the taunting and videotaping beyond shocking, and I am completely disgusted by these people, but I don't think we can make a crime out of the "failing to rescue" part. What if it been nice kids, who wanted to intervene but couldn't swim themselves, and had no phones to call for help?

Not only that, he was missing for 3 days, so they just left him there.

http://www.cnn.com/2017/07/20/us/florida-teens-drowning-man/index.html

No crime, no time. I think it is time to make "doing nothing" a crime. The whole controversy on Michelle Carter and her boyfriend's suicide comes to mind. If there was no proof that she had coaxed him back into the truck, she would have got off. You can witness a suicide in progress, do nothing to intervene, and no law has been broken.

What is up with these teenagers and death not being a big deal? Are they that desensitized from movies and video games? SCARY

Personally I think it's social media. People say the meanest, nastiest things online and it's becoming normal. That behavior is spilling into the real world and this is what you get.

Even though I think what they did was awful, I don't think we can make "not helping" a crime. I find the taunting and videotaping beyond shocking, and I am completely disgusted by these people, but I don't think we can make a crime out of the "failing to rescue" part. What if it been nice kids, who wanted to intervene but couldn't swim themselves, and had no phones to call for help?
I also have not watched the video beucase I do not think I can.

I totally understand not jumping in water to help someone, etc----depending on the swimming skills, type of water, etc that can just lead to more people dying.

However, requiring that the first on the scene of a serious or possibly (or clearly) fatal accident report it as soon as possible (by calling from a cell if they have one, which obviously they did if they recorded it) or else sending at least one in the party to find the closest available public pone (go to a store and ask the cashier to call 911, etc) is not an outrageous demand, IMO (it is also law where I live--you are not required to physically intervene if you do not feel safe doing so for any reason at all---but you must at least summon help, even if that means you have to go out of your way to get to a phone to do so, and even if it means you are delayed for something else).

Last edited:

Well, one shouldn't be expected to risk their own life in attempting a rescue, however calling for help is not that demanding. They DID have phones, obviously, so there is really no excuse. If they didn't have phones, and couldn't swim, and there was no means of a safe rescue at their disposal, I don't think anyone would hold it against them. I think some states do have laws that require someone to help if they can, so I don't think it's a legal stretch.

What if it had been those kids? Kids that tried to help in anyway possible, but it was fruitless and the man drowned? No charges.

THESE KIDS??? Who clearly had a phone to call for help from, because they were RECORDING ON IT! The laughing and mocking? At minimum should be the crime.

ETA: the article said the video shows the man struggled for 10 minutes before he drowned. If they had called 911 as soon as they saw him starting to struggle, 1st responders most likely would have been there before he drowned. Or at least just after he lost consciousness, so a successful resuscitation could have happened.

If anything shouldn't there be a crime for not reporting a dead body? he was missing for 3 days...these kids knew where is was from moment 1.

Last edited:
Just because the kids had phones doesn't mean they could call for help. Maybe there was no service there. Maybe they don't have a cellular plan (wifi only). ETA: yes, they should have gone for help or notified someone. I'm not excusing their behavior, just pointing out that even though they had cell phones doesn't automatically mean they can call for help.

That being said, according to the article, the boys admitted "smoking weed", so why couldn't they be prosecuted for that? No, it doesn't mean much, but it's something.

I understand wanting a law against "doing nothing", but I think it would have to be carefully written.

The thing that bothers me most is that even after the event was over, they didn't notify authorities. The article I read made it sound like the body remained in the water for three days until someone else discovered it. And then there was a line about, how the sister received the video. Did they actually send it to her? Did they post it? The article wasn't clear, but why would you take that step, but not report it to the people who could do something about it sooner rather than later? And the fact that none of them seemed to have a conscience about this...I mean, I wasn't there, so I really shouldn't judge, but something just seems really off to me.

The thing that bothers me most is that even after the event was over, they didn't notify authorities. The article I read made it sound like the body remained in the water for three days until someone else discovered it. And then there was a line about, how the sister received the video. Did they actually send it to her? Did they post it? The article wasn't clear, but why would you take that step, but not report it to the people who could do something about it sooner rather than later? And the fact that none of them seemed to have a conscience about this...I mean, I wasn't there, so I really shouldn't judge, but something just seems really off to me.

I read the video was posted online and that's how the incident was discovered by authorities and the family.

I didn't get that part either.

It isn't just teens, how many times have we seen things happening to other people not get involved?

I have not watched the video. However, this seems to really cross a line. It isn't that they just turned their backs and walked away, or decided they couldn't help because they couldn't swim. It is that they took the time to film a video of someone drowning (dying) on their PHONES, thought it was funny and did not call 911. SHAMEFUL. There is really no excuse for being this clueless.

they are guilty, they could have run for help if "no phone"
they should tell the authorities about the drowning
they shouldn't post/take the video
If like you post the video of a rape, are we ok with people witnessing a crime and instead of call the authorities just video and stream them?

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter