What is this world coming to?? Teens record man drowning and do nothing to help

I simply believe this is what we are and always have been. And I take some small consolation from the fact that it's finally coming to light.

I think you are right. People will often say that humanity has declined so much, but really, I think we just see and hear about it much more thanks to advances in communications technology. Time was most idiotic things people did were never known about, but now we know about every idiotic thing that every idiot does. It makes it seem worse than it is.

It just came across, but they HAVE been charged with not reporting the death:

http://www.mynews13.com/content/new...icles/cfn/2017/7/21/video_teens_filmed_m.html

This article said that one of the boys was with his mother, while she was in tears, he sat there with a smirk on his face.

I am just going to say this now..I have never hit my kids, although I grew up getting beatings. If that were MY kid...it would be bad enough that he did something like that, I would be devastated...but if that were my kid sitting there smirking...you can bet all that you own that I would give him the beating of his life. I would do it in the damn police station, and I'm sure the police would applaud me.

This article said that one of the boys was with his mother, while she was in tears, he sat there with a smirk on his face.
I just want to clarify the boy was with his mother while being interviewed by police, NOT while the drowning was happening.

I think you are right. People will often say that humanity has declined so much, but really, I think we just see and hear about it much more thanks to advances in communications technology. Time was most idiotic things people did were never known about, but now we know about every idiotic thing that every idiot does. It makes it seem worse than it is.

I definitely agree that there have always been jerks. But I also think there has always been a certain amount of "strength in numbers" to stupid and/or mean decisions. (Picture someone who only bullies people when he's got his cronies around, or a kid who would never try jumping off the barn roof unless his friends were there to dare him.)

The difference social media makes is that it can give us a sense of those numbers all the time. People type mean things because they know know someone will agree with them. And instead of seeing the reality of a situation, the first thing people see is its viral video potential.

(Before I get accused of hating social media, I also see the good side. The victim of the bully in my above example, who maybe used to know absolutely no one with the same interests, can now find his or her "people" no matter how far away they actually live...And strength in numbers works both ways! - So, like pretty much everything else, social media has its good and bad sides.)

(I skimmed the article, but I did not watch the video.)

Even though I think what they did was awful, I don't think we can make "not helping" a crime. I find the taunting and videotaping beyond shocking, and I am completely disgusted by these people, but I don't think we can make a crime out of the "failing to rescue" part. What if it been nice kids, who wanted to intervene but couldn't swim themselves, and had no phones to call for help?

I agree with the posters saying that you don't want to make not helping a crime but you can make it calling 911 at the soonest possible time a crime.

It isn't just teens, how many times have we seen things happening to other people not get involved?
I have shared this before, but a few years ago I was caught in a small traffic jam through my neighbourhood, eventually I got to the choke point and the car in front of me stopped and put on its hazards, the driver got out and picked up a kid about 18months old wearing only a diaper off the road, the jam was the drivers slowly going around this kid instead of doing anything to protect the kid.

I guess...yes, they did something horrible. But say they had gone for help- the result would have likely been the same.

No the result would have been that this persons last minutes wouldn't have been spent watching some psychos laugh and mock them.

The debate is being raised because some people think the kids should be charged.specifically in the article- The family wants them charged. The police are saying there's unfortunately nothing they can charge them for.

Because it's not actually illegal to be a terrible human being. I don't think anyone is defending the kids' actions. But I also don't think those kids could have saved that man, so the family would still not have the guy back. To me that's the core of the issue. Charging someone for failing to save another's life when it's pretty unlikely they could do so doesn't sit well with me. As someone up thread mentioned- life saving attempts often result in both parties dying. No one should feel pressured to go out in dangerous conditions.

I don't think anyone should be pressured into attempting to save someone especially if it puts their life at risk.
However I can't see a time that someone could not go for help, even if that help would get there too late, it's no reason to do nothing.

As far as charging (and I see now they have) surely there is something about failing to report, obstructing an investigation etc

a few years ago I was caught in a small traffic jam through my neighbourhood, eventually I got to the choke point and the car in front of me stopped and put on its hazards, the driver got out and picked up a kid about 18months old wearing only a diaper off the road, the jam was the drivers slowly going around this kid instead of doing anything to protect the kid.

Wow! :sad2:

Do you think it's because people were afraid of being accused of kidnapping or worse if they actually touched the child?

I read the video was posted online and that's how the incident was discovered by authorities and the family.
If nothing else, prosecute them for being morons. What is it with kids posting absolutely stupid stuff (my DS has shown me kids on Snapchat who post pictures of themselves with weed etc. offering to sell) on social media?

Last edited:
Wow! :sad2:

Do you think it's because people were afraid of being accused of kidnapping or worse if they actually touched the child?
Who knows why they didnt.
It is my big bugbear with those memes about :"How when I was a kid we played until the streetlights came on it"

Apologies if any of what I say has been said prior.

This whole thing sickens me. Karma will catch up.

That said, people helping in emergency situations can be a little unnerving. Yes, if someone's life is compromised, and you can prevent a fatality, do whatcha gotta do. Other times, first responders (and I know there are some on here) don't want you to do anything but call 911 and get them there, while staying with those in need of help. This is due to the ability to assess the patient and preventing further injuries. Also, in our very "sue happy" society, good people can and are held liable if they try to help and something happens to the person.

However, this video/situation isn't that case.

That statute is almost never invoked in cases like this. I doubt that holds up or if it does, it will be a slap on the wrist, probably a few hours of community service.
I think the problem is there IS no statute that is available to use (I still don't understand why they don't charge them with marijuana possession since they admitted using). Those of you who feel they should be prosecuted, what punishment do you think they should get? Probation? Jail time (juvy of course)? Community service?

This whole situation sickens me, and those "kids" lack basic humanity. I get that it's a danger to try and help, but not calling 911, openly laughing and mocking the man as he drowns, and then leaving him there is beyond words. I hope karma gets all of them. If that had been my husband, I would have a hard time not exacting revenge.

I think the problem is there IS no statute that is available to use (I still don't understand why they don't charge them with marijuana possession since they admitted using). Those of you who feel they should be prosecuted, what punishment do you think they should get? Probation? Jail time (juvy of course)? Community service?

Maybe have them participate in a jail walk through. Get a stern talking to from some of the big boys in prison. Let them know what they're in for if they don't shape up. I don't think they should face jail time for this particular incident though.

Maybe have them participate in a jail walk through. Get a stern talking to from some of the big boys in prison. Let them know what they're in for if they don't shape up. I don't think they should face jail time for this particular incident though.

That's the thing. Them not getting involved isn't a crime. Yes, it shows they are below dirt as human beings, but aside from any illegal drugs, they did nothing wrong. It's just like every motorist that goes by the scene of an accident/disabled motorist where authorities haven't responded. You choose not to stop, not knowing what's going on.

That's the thing. Them not getting involved isn't a crime. Yes, it shows they are below dirt as human beings, but aside from any illegal drugs, they did nothing wrong. It's just like every motorist that goes by the scene of an accident/disabled motorist where authorities haven't responded. You choose not to stop, not knowing what's going on.

Maybe, maybe not. They're being charged for not reporting someone's death. This will serve as a test case to see if it applies them. So whether they did anything wrong or not is TBD.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!