What is your best family vacation besides Disney?

We love New England, partly because our 2 grown daughters live there. But, Cape Cod is wonderful, (camping there 5 nights this summer with one daughter), and so is Vermont, especially the Stowe-Burlington area (daughter no. 2!)

We're leaving next Friday for a trip to Yellowstone. Can't wait!!

My kids are 4 & 2 presently. Since we've had kids we've taken cruises to the Bahamas and Mex Riviera (x2). We've been to NYC and Vegas. We would do the cruises again, but probably not NYC for a while (DH is not a city person) and definitely not Vegas (don't want my kids to see the muck). We went to Alaska twice pre-kids and would love to go with the kids. I am also looking forward to returning to the ski slopes, but am waiting until the youngest is 4 or 5 so we can all enjoy it. DH and I are considering heading to Europe in 2012 for the first time. That is absolutely overwhelming for me right now!

We had a lot of fun in San Diego. We went to the zoo, animal park, the beach in Coronado, and the USS Midway.

Also, when we camped in Utah. By the lake, DD2 caught her first fish, and we had fun!

Williamsburg and Jamestown (and you can stay at Great Wolf Lodge!)

we then did DC on the way back home (we're in NY), and the kids LOVED that too. I think they were 7 and 9 at the time.

Outerbanks for a relaxing vacation.

Bar Harbor, Maine.

Any cruise.

Vero Beach Disney.

Niagara Falls (canadian side, definitely!!) The kids LOVED it there.

Growing up we loved going to Lake City, CO for the 4th of July. But my kids love history so their favorites are Gettysburg, Philadelphia and Washington DC (when it is not 110 degrees).

There are so many awesome places to visit! Don't get me wrong, we love Disney, but there are so many other places that are just as good.

Bar Harbor, Maine
Outer Banks
Williamsburg, VA
Ocean City, MD
Skiing in Colorado
Alaska

We love to go to the beach (the closest to us is Charleston, SC and we love it there). We also go to my mom's in northern Ontario every summer. She lives on a lake with almost no one else on it in the middle of nowhere. It is so peaceful and sooooo much cooler than here in NC in the summer we really enjoy it there. Just not the cost/time of getting there - either a 26 hour drive each way or a very expensive flight with 3 connections and then a 2.5 hr drive from the last airport. We also like ski trips.

I think the only family trip we haven't enjoyed so far was a Carnival cruise when the kids were 5, 3 and 10 months. That just wasn't fun. Hoping to try a Disney cruise in 2012.

Another person for smugglers notch! I grew up going there and now we go there every year with our children. Love the camp programs, adult activities, and area attractions. Vermont is just a beautiful state and a 4 1/2 hour drive for us instead of a plane ride :)

You are so right! That is my back yard and I love it. Grayton Beach in South Walton is the best place ever!!!

kelli

The beaches of South Walton are such a special place to me. I was even married in Seaside. :lovestruc It is my #1 vacation spot!!!

Another vote for the Outer Banks.

Coeur d'Alene, Idaho area, we went to an amusement/water park, hiked, toured a mine and enjoyed a small mining town. Our hotel was in downtown Spokane and we enjoyed walking around that area and the kids played in a splash park. And if you're into boating and nature there are alot of lake tours available.

Mount Rushmore, there's alot of other things to do in that area, but it's best to go during the summer, alot of it is closed in winter.

The Badlands are gorgeous.

Jekyll Island, Georgia is very laid back. You can do dolphin tours, relax at the beach, ride bikes around the island, tour old mansions and there are little tourist shops. I love it there.

Seattle, WA has alot to offer.
Portland, OR

Southern California (Disneyland, Hollywood, down to San Diego) or San Fransisco.

There are really so many different places, I think it's more of a question of how far you want to travel and what you want to do (beach, amusement parks, museumes, nature, etc.)

The beaches of South Walton are such a special place to me. I was even married in Seaside. :lovestruc It is my #1 vacation spot!!!

Love love love Seaside. I was there for lunch about an hour ago. Best grilled cheese ever!

kelli

I think the only place my kids have really vacationed besides WDW is NYC. We live in the DC area, so they've seen it all through day trips, and sometimes we will go overnight or for a weekend to Williamsburg/Great Wolf/Busch Gardens or various place in PA- Philadelphia, Sesame Place, Hershey Park. And of course the MD/DE beaches- Bethany, Rehoboth, O.C.

I went to Atlantis once without them and would love to take the family but the airfare alone cost as much as a Disney Trip. DD and I just spend a week in Quebec, and that was cool and different- but it was with a school trip.

Next year we are most likely doing a Med Cruise.

We have been on quite a few trips for ds's baseball tournaments. Cooperstown was a blast (rented a house on the water with 2 other families), Myrtle Beach (stayed in a condo near the beach), and the best of all, the WDW tournament. Part of what has made these vacations enjoyable is the fact that we were with each other, but also had our "baseball" families to hang out with. Our other favorite place to go in the Poconos...and one trip we stayed with dh's family in their house on the lake. We fished, went out on the boat, we swam, we had a bonfire and made s'mores. I guess we've been pretty lucky because they have all been fun!
ETA How could I forget the trip in 2001...it was an extended family trip and it snowed the day before we were to return home, so we rented a car and drvoe across the state to visit my mom and stepdad. It was terrible (!) calling work to say I was unable to get home when planned!

San Antonio
Mexican riviera
San francisco
New York
San Diego

apparently any city that begins with "San"...:rotfl2:

our "usual" vacation up until last summer was the beach,, diff ones depending how we felt, Biluxi, Gulf Shores, Myrtle Beach, Hilton HEAd(sorry I don't love the natural signs though, makes it hard to find stuff, LOL), panama city, ft walton, Daytona, St Augustine. luckily we are within driving distane of so many! While I am not sure that was the best,, it is our usual. We have been to many other places as a family but I guess Disney is truly our best "big" vacation.

when i was a child we loved going to the great smokey mountains...gatlinburg and pigeon forge. I havent been in years. i wonder if its still the same?

when i was a child we loved going to the great smokey mountains...gatlinburg and pigeon forge. I havent been in years. i wonder if its still the same?

This is where we like to go. We took yearly trips until the last 2 years and we haven't managed to get there. Planning for next summer though. We look all of the activities of the town and the scenery and quietness of the Smokey Mountains.

Anywhere on the beach - preferably with woods near by to hike in. Hiking, playing on the beach, building fires and watching the sunset. Good times!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter