What is your best family vacation besides Disney?

Here in Bradenton Beach/Anna Maria Island

Boston- touring everywhere from The Boston Garden to The Duck Tours, Fenway Park and Tour/Red Sox’s games, eating at Cheers, The Museums, chocolate chip cookies at Faneuil Hall!!!!!

Washington DC/Fredericksburg Va Monuments/museums

Vegas!!!!! Red Rock Canyon!!!!!

Paradise Islands in The Bahamas!!!!!

New Hampshire up in the White Mountains in the Summer Hiking/Storyland/Santa’s Village/Whale’s Tail!!!!!

Southern NH- Canobie Lake Park, Water Country, Shopping and eating in Portsmouth and outlets in Kittery Maine!!!!!

New Hampshire in the fall!!!!! Apple picking/Pumpkin Picking around NH, Apple Cider Donuts, seeing the leaves changing colors just experiencing fall!!!!!

Bar Harbor Maine/ never did this but you can also take the fast boat over to Nova Scotia- still on my bucket list

Santorini Greece/Oia Greece/Greek Isles!!!!!

Nice France!!!!!

Rome/Pompeii/Florence Italy!!!!!

Lake Tahoe California in both Summer and Winter!!!!!

San Francisco!!!!!

Something WDW but not..... We are big fans of the Disney Cruises. Castaway Cay is one of my favorite places on this earth. We do typically do 2 days at WDW hit up MK then head out for the cruise. Best of both worlds.

We had a fantastic trip to Tennessee. Stayed in Nashville and went to the opry and a plantation, lots of great places to eat and visit there. Then we drove to gatlinburg and went zip lining and white water rafting in the smoky mountains. We live at the beach so this was a great change for us- so fun!

My ds21 loves history too so when we went to London & Paris last summer he asked if there was any way to squeeze in a day to visit Normandy/Omaha Beach. I kind of rearranged our plans to make it happen because I know it means a lot to him and he really doesn't ask for much. Well, oh my, I am so glad we went! I'm not even into history and it was just jaw dropping. One thing they are good at in Europe is preserving history and there are so so many saved artifacts from our soldiers at the Paratrooper museum in Sainte Mere Eglise. I was floored (and humbled) to see so much gratitude to the US and Allies. :lovestruc :grouphug:
I'm so glad he asked for this or it wouldn't have crossed my mind at all. For anyone into history, this is a must see addition to your bucket list. :thumbsup2:thumbsup2
When my DS was a junior in high school, his private military school was asked to represent our state at the D Day 70th anniversary celebrations in Normandy. It was such an incredible experience for him.

You must understand there are no other vacations besides Disney. I asked the girls once about this and except for adding 1 day at Universal, I have been told to continue our every 3rd year trips.

We did Vermont two summers ago and it was one of the most amazing family trips we have had (outside of Disney of course). We went to Killington Summer Adventure (ropes, mountain coaster, gondola to the top, tubes, etc), hiking, swimming in swimming holes, Ben & Jerry's, Lake Champlain, breweries, etc etc etc. It was amazing. We also love camping, OBX and Williamsburg.

Costa Rica. So beautiful and so much to do there. My kids love Disney but there is a whole world out there to see.

Other great ones have been the Grand Canyon/Sedona, HIlton Head, and several all-inclusives in the Mayan Riviera.

The best non Disney family trip we've ever taken was a safari in Tanzania. It's kind of pricey but well worth it.

Would you mind mentioning when you went and where you stayed? I'm starting to think about planning a trip a few years from now to take the boys to see the Great Migration, after our budget recovers from our DCL cruise to Alaska. Any ideas on kid friendly spots would be amazing!

We did Vermont two summers ago and it was one of the most amazing family trips we have had (outside of Disney of course). We went to Killington Summer Adventure (ropes, mountain coaster, gondola to the top, tubes, etc), hiking, swimming in swimming holes, Ben & Jerry's, Lake Champlain, breweries, etc etc etc. It was amazing. We also love camping, OBX and Williamsburg.

I was going to say Vermont when I first saw this thread! We love going to Stowe during the ski season and haven't been in awhile. There's a resort at the base of the mountain with a heated pool, nothing more magical then swimming while it's snowing on you! And the Ben & Jerry's tour is so fun! I still wish the flavor we got to try at the end was sold in stores. I've never been in the summer but maybe when the boys are older and can do the ropes courses.

Costa Rica. So beautiful and so much to do there. My kids love Disney but there is a whole world out there to see.

Other great ones have been the Grand Canyon/Sedona, HIlton Head, and several all-inclusives in the Mayan Riviera.

We love Costa Rica! We mainly stay to the coast in the Southwest part, where have you gone with your kids? Dying to go to the Arenal volcano area and the cloud forest.

“We love Costa Rica! We mainly stay to the coast in the Southwest part, where have you gone with your kids? Dying to go to the Arenal volcano area and the cloud forest.”

We went to Arenal for 5 days and then Puerto Viejo for 5 days. Stayed at Los Lagos in Arenal. It was amazing and cheap. We did zip lining, waterfall rappelling, hanging bridges, tubing etc. Kids were only 4, 8, and 9 at the time but they were so adventurous. We had a blast. In PV we stayed at a small lodge in the jungle. We got woken up every morning by howler monkeys. Went snorkeling, hiking and to a Sloth Rescue. And we met so many nice local people, it was wonderful.

Would you mind mentioning when you went and where you stayed? I'm starting to think about planning a trip a few years from now to take the boys to see the Great Migration, after our budget recovers from our DCL cruise to Alaska. Any ideas on kid friendly spots would be amazing!

I was going to say Vermont when I first saw this thread! We love going to Stowe during the ski season and haven't been in awhile. There's a resort at the base of the mountain with a heated pool, nothing more magical then swimming while it's snowing on you! And the Ben & Jerry's tour is so fun! I still wish the flavor we got to try at the end was sold in stores. I've never been in the summer but maybe when the boys are older and can do the ropes courses.

We love Costa Rica! We mainly stay to the coast in the Southwest part, where have you gone with your kids? Dying to go to the Arenal volcano area and the cloud forest.

Yes, we have done winter at Killington and Stowe a few times and fall one year near Killington! Love it! BUT, summer is so different and just as fun! Definitely go when your kids are older. There was so much to do! A lot of the ski resorts now are getting into summer things to attract more people. The one water hole we found was amazing and not super far from Stowe, maybe about 30 minutes. It is called Warren Falls. Google it when you have the chance. We LOVED every second of it.

We went a couple of years ago in July. We saw the end of the great migration. We booked it through a safari company called Bush2Beach. They planned everything. We stayed at tented camps most of the time. Some owned by them but I don't remember the names of the rest of them. I'm not a camper but did fine with these. They actually have bathrooms with showers in them. The showers are basically a big tub of water above you though. lol The key to a great trip is a good guide. The guide we had has since opened his own company. makulasafaris Feel free to PM me with any questions you may have.

First thanks to all who have already replied for some great family vacation ideas.

Our best was probably the weekends we've spent at a hotel that does a big kid's Christmas spread. We book some sort of suite with a big living / dining area for us to eat and gather for a few family activities for us and then a nice room for each of the kids and their family. I think most big cities have several hotels who put on some sort of holiday activities for families. The one we did last year turned their conventions area into a wonderland for kids for the month of December. They had ice skating, snow tubing, a carnival-style snow ball throw, face painting, an ice sculpture holiday world with ice slides, gingerbread decorating, and 8-10 other activities I can't off the top of my head name this moment. We order food and have it picked up and delivered by uber eats for most meals and just enjoy each other's company for the weekend.

Next is probably the times we've taken a summer week together. We usually find a hotel somewhere on a beach or with some kids activities. Last year we went to Puerto Rico and stayed at a hotel in San Juan with a pirate's ship with water slides and water activities. Before that it was Clearwater Beach, Florida, and the year before that it was Galveston.

Hawaii....it's getting more affordable daily, too. On our two family trips, we were on Maui the first trip, and Oahu the next one. No, we didn't stay at Aulani on that trip, but we did stay next door to it at the wonderful Ko Olina Beach Villas with a view of Aulani from our lanai. Hawaii has fantastic opportunities for family vacations. We enjoy culture, museums, and history on our vacations and Hawaii doesn't disappoint.

The best non Disney family trip we've ever taken was a safari in Tanzania. It's kind of pricey but well worth it.

We went a couple of years ago in July. We saw the end of the great migration. We booked it through a safari company called Bush2Beach. They planned everything. We stayed at tented camps most of the time. Some owned by them but I don't remember the names of the rest of them. I'm not a camper but did fine with these. They actually have bathrooms with showers in them. The showers are basically a big tub of water above you though. lol The key to a great trip is a good guide. The guide we had has since opened his own company. makulasafaris Feel free to PM me with any questions you may have.

We are going to Kenya and Tanzania this August. Would you mind if I pm you with some questions?

We have family in France, so we go there every other year and we do myrtle beach every summer, kids love it.
We've decided to take a break from Disney for a year and are going to visit Myrtle Beach in a couple of weeks. What are some activities that your family enjoys most? Most of the attractions I'm finding look so "touristy." I would like to find something unique to the area that our 15 year old DD would enjoy. Any suggestions?

I love the Disney parks, but there is an amazing world out there. We are giving the Disney parks a multi year break for this reason. This next year, we are going to focus on national parks/sites. They were some of our best vacations pre-kids and it's time for the kids to see them too. I know Walt certainly focused on them quite a bit in his nature films, so as a Disney fan, it only makes sense to see the world beyond the Disney parks that Walt loved too.

This year, the plan is to visit Yellowstone, Grand Teton, Devil's Tower, Little Bighorn, Badlands, Mount Rushmore, Grand Canyon, Death Valley, and not sure if I want to head NE or northern CA for the last bit of this year of national parks.

I love the Disney parks, but there is an amazing world out there. We are giving the Disney parks a multi year break for this reason. This next year, we are going to focus on national parks/sites. They were some of our best vacations pre-kids and it's time for the kids to see them too. I know Walt certainly focused on them quite a bit in his nature films, so as a Disney fan, it only makes sense to see the world beyond the Disney parks that Walt loved too.

This year, the plan is to visit Yellowstone, Grand Teton, Devil's Tower, Little Bighorn, Badlands, Mount Rushmore, Grand Canyon, Death Valley, and not sure if I want to head NE or northern CA for the last bit of this year of national parks.
If u haven't been look into white sands and Carlsbad caverns...they were our girls favorites.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter