What is your favorite "underrated" Disney film?

There are a lot of good underrated Disney films but I think I like "Oliver and Company" the best! :D I love the story, the music such as Billy Joel as Dodger, as I am a Billy Joel fan, and the animation and all the details to making it look like close to the real 1980s New York City. I also love "The Emperor's New Groove."

The Black Cauldron, Meet the Robinsons, Atlantis, Treasure Planet, A Goofy Movie and I’ll admit, I think Country Bears was a lot better than people give it credit for

I'd like to list "Song of the South", but it's not underappreciated, just unavailable.

So, I'll say that "Island at the Top of the World" is my contribution to the list. It's such a fun and exciting movie, yet a lot of people have never even heard of it. It actually took me a while to track down the DVD.

Last edited:
So, I'll say that "Island at the Top of the World" is my contribution to the list. It's such fun and exciting movie, yet a lot of people have never even heard of it. It actually took me a while to track down the DVD.

I love that one. I am currently planning a trip to Disneyland Paris and one of the highlights for me will be to see the Hyperion airship, which they have a full-size replica of. I have a picture of it as one of my rotating desktop wallpapers of inspiration!

I think Hunchback was pretty underrated. The movie has some spectacular songs and the animation can be really breathtaking at times.

This is really just a personal one but I think Saludos Amigos and the Three Caballeros are great and I wish Jose and Panchito got more recognition! Though, I think both those movies are best enjoyed in chunks instead of all at once. In particular, though, the scene with Donald and Jose at the end of Saludos Amigos is just delightful!

For me, it's Disney's take on the classic King Arthur....The Sword in the Stone. The scene with Merlin battling Mim is one of my favorite all time movie scenes! So, I'm interested.... what's your favorite low key Disney film and why??

Definitely one I love!!

The Incredible Journey! People only seem to talk about the remake (Homeward Bound), but the original is one of my all-time favorite movies.

Absolutely - I love the animals, the ending, even the narrator's voice!

Swiss Family Robinson.

Another one of my favs.

There's also tons of old live-action movies I love:
Bedknobs and Broomsticks
the original Parent Trap

I love both of these, and Bedknobs was going to be my answer if nobody had listed it yet! - I love the Disney movies of that era that combined live action and animated sequences.

And of course I'll add Pollyanna to the list. :goodvibes

Emperor's New Groove
The Huntchback of Notre Dame
Snow white and the seven dwarfs
A Goofy movie
A Bugs Life
James and the giant peach

Everybody loves the classics. You know, the films that people rattle off first when you ask them to name some Disney favorites: Snow White, Cinderella, The Lion King, Beauty and the Beast, The Little Mermaid, Frozen, Aladdin, etc.
But, we all have a Disney film we consider "underrated." For me, it's Disney's take on the classic King Arthur....The Sword in the Stone. The scene with Merlin battling Mim is one of my favorite all time movie scenes! So, I'm interested.... what's your favorite low key Disney film and why??

"Pete's Dragon" is not only my favorite "low key" Disney film - for the pure nostalgia and feeling of joy of the memory of being a child and watching this with my sister and our friends, over and over and over, and the music, and the performances - it's honestly actually my favorite film of all time, period, although it's not something that's particularly cool to admit. Although I'm on a theme park themed message board, so cool is sort of out the window at this point.

Also a big fan of "The Rescuers". 1977 was a good year for underrated Disney films.

The underrated Disney films I liked very much are the Great Mouse Detective, the Sword in the Stone and Oliver & Company, and as they some of the ones that didn't get any sequels.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!