What is your opinion on the United Kingdom?

I’m certainly no expert on what the Domestic Policy might have been at the time that causes you to feel so disrespectful towards Margaret Thatcher and I wouldn’t propose to dispute it. Undoubtedly though the entire world owes her a debt of gratitude and she is one of the most influential women in modern history.
https://www.heritage.org/europe/report/how-margaret-thatcher-helped-end-the-cold-war
I would love to express my views but the forum lords would start wagging their fingers at me. I will say that South Wales suffered greatly under the Thatcher government and we have still not recovered from that legacy. But you are right, I should not vilify the person; it is what Thatcherism did to South Wales that I abhor.

Anthony Hopkins
I would like to meet Anthony Hopkins. He is very amusing on Twitter. His new film, The Father, with Olivia Colman looks amazing. I have his recording of Dylan Thomas’ Under Milkwood, which I listen to in the car. I prefer the Richard Burton version, but I only have that on tape and I don’t have a cassette recorder in my car any more.
Maybe, because I am Welsh, I can hear, even quite subtle Welsh accents. People can rarely entirely hide it; often the odd word in particularly emotional scenes gives them away.
There has been a huge move in the U.K. (looking at you BBC) to be more inclusive of regional accents. I don’t have an issue with that but when it comes with grammatical errors that really irritates me.

I would like to meet Anthony Hopkins. He is very amusing on Twitter. His new film, The Father, with Olivia Colman looks amazing. I have his recording of Dylan Thomas’ Under Milkwood, which I listen to in the car. I prefer the Richard Burton version, but I only have that on tape and I don’t have a cassette recorder in my car any more.
Maybe, because I am Welsh, I can hear, even quite subtle Welsh accents. People can rarely entirely hide it; often the odd word in particularly emotional scenes gives them away.
There has been a huge move in the U.K. (looking at you BBC) to be more inclusive of regional accents. I don’t have an issue with that but when it comes with grammatical errors that really irritates me.
Agree with you on Anthony Hopkins. I've just discovered he has composed a waltz!
I am in an Andre Rieu phase at the moment, and he has performed the waltz with his orchestra, absolutely gorgeous :)

Douze points pour les Pays-Bas! is joke for Europeans. It means 12 points for Netherlands, and its a joke about The Eurovision Song contest.
I was about to type this for the Americans who missed the joke ;-)
12 is the max. points you can get in Eurovision from the other countries. And France always insists on doing everything in French...

Douze points pour les Pays-Bas! is joke for Europeans. It means 12 points for Netherlands, and its a joke about The Eurovision Song contest.
I was about to type this for the Americans who missed the joke ;-)
12 is the max. points you can get in Eurovision from the other countries. And France always insists on doing everything in French...
Actually, I got the joke thus the :duck:emoticon and as for the French wellll it takes time to complete an official dictionary, doesn’t it?:hyper2::teeth:.

I would love to express my views but the forum lords would start wagging their fingers at me. I will say that South Wales suffered greatly under the Thatcher government and we have still not recovered from that legacy. But you are right, I should not vilify the person; it is what Thatcherism did to South Wales that I abhor.
Understood - all too well actually as we here in parts of Canada have also had our economies devastated several times by federal policy over the last 50 years. But the fall of the Soviet Bloc changed the world and I know of no one who would argue it wasn’t for the better.

Understood - all too well actually as we here in parts of Canada have also had our economies devastated several times by federal policy over the last 50 years. But the fall of the Soviet Bloc changed the world and I know of no one who would argue it wasn’t for the better.
My Maternal Grandfather was a miner, a trade unionist, Gen Sec of a national Miner’s Union and a member of the Communist Party of GB. He fought in World War I and then, despite being married with two young children, left Wales and volunteered with the International Brigade and fought against fascism in the Spanish Civil War. My Paternal Grandfather was a member of the landed aristocracy and a lifelong Tory, so you can imagine the interesting conversations at family gatherings.
Spain has just announced that descendants of International Brigadiers are to be granted honoury Spanish citizenship.... this may be very useful post Brexit!😉

My Maternal Grandfather was a miner, a trade unionist, Gen Sec of a national Miner’s Union and a member of the Communist Party of GB. He fought in World War I and then, despite being married with two young children, left Wales and volunteered with the International Brigade and fought against fascism in the Spanish Civil War. My Paternal Grandfather was a member of the landed aristocracy and a lifelong Tory, so you can imagine the interesting conversations at family gatherings.
Spain has just announced that descendants of International Brigadiers are to be granted honoury Spanish citizenship.... this may be very useful post Brexit!😉
:goodvibes LOVE this!

I wonder what perspective is going to be used in the next season of the Crown. Gillian Anderson who is playing her won’t comment on her right now. It’s going to be interesting. And I won’t push the conversation any further. Just shifting to TV as the conversation went.

I did hear that Blake’s 7 is going to be on Britbox in the UK. It is weird that you still can’t purchase that series in North America.

Never been there, but my nephew was there for a time while in the Air Force several years ago, and he and his buddies kept being ridiculed for being 'from the colonies'. (Of course their retort was, who won the war?) :-) Could have been an age group thing, but it did leave some not so good memories with him.
The Allies won the war . Wow another “ugly American” statement.

Never been there, but my nephew was there for a time while in the Air Force several years ago, and he and his buddies kept being ridiculed for being 'from the colonies'. (Of course their retort was, who won the war?) :-) Could have been an age group thing, but it did leave some not so good memories with him.
The name calling is odd and unfortunate.

We lived in GB for several years. Our children attended the village school, we went to the local church.
The neighborhood kids taught our kids how to play 40 40 and cricket. They spent many happy hours outside.
I have lots of very positive memories.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!