What Jolly Holiday items could travel home well?

alohamom

DIS Veteran
Hello to all you DL/DCA experts.

My kids (19 & 21) are headed to Disneyland next week and have a late departing red-eye flight home to Toronto on the last day. They are planning to hit DL that day so I go to thinking, maybe they might like to bring their dear old mom a treat back, LOL!

Any one have any experience with bringing home Jolly Holiday items? Do they offer a take out box or container instead of the bags that I seem to remember? My thoughts are the Mickey shaped shortbread might travel ok but I dont really know for sure. Any thoughts of what might make it home best?

Thanks in advance for any and all help!

I second the Matterhorn macaroon. I have brought them home more than once. Always travelled well. Not quite as good when they aren’t fresh but they are still amazing!

Last edited:
They do have plastic containers (black bottom with clear top), but they are meant more for light protection and can be crushed pretty easily. I usually take a few ziploc (or similar) plastic containers with me, but the ones that Jolly Holiday will work as long as you put them on the top of your carry-on.

The standard cookies and muffins will all travel pretty well, as will the Matterhorn Macaroon. The raspberry macaron and Mickey's 90th macaron also travel fairly well. (I've taken the raspberry one home on a plane before).

I second the Matterhorn macaroon. I have brought them home more than once. Always travelled well. Not quite as good when they aren’t fresh but they are

This is the good thing about coconut macaroons. They don't really go stale. There is nothing in them that absorbs moisture from the air, like grain based baked goods. They do get hard after several days out in the open, but that takes a week to occur. The Matterhorn Macaroon is also about 50% covered by white chocolate, so that helps it stay soft longer.

We made the joke that NONE of those desserts would have made it out of the park because they would have been eaten by us! But yes you can get plastic containers for them there, but they are see through and the temptation to eat them at the airport or in the car ride while working through your post Disney blues might be too great of a feat! Just kidding. That is a really good idea to bring your own Tupperware or container specifically for treats to bring home though. I’m going to do that next time!

I bought the Strawberry Hand Pie from Jolly Holiday last night and carried it back to my car (it was in a paper bag). I ate it for breakfast this morning and it was delicious! Maybe they can get you 2 things?

I have not flown much in the last few years and was wondering concerning the treats above mentioned, what is the best way to get those treats thru airport security without them being confiscated:)that would be awful to have that happen:( Thanks....

Oh good to know about the hand pies! @wowsmom are they any better than a pop tart? I have never eaten one and I am not a huge pop tart fan

I have not flown much in the last few years and was wondering concerning the treats above mentioned, what is the best way to get those treats thru airport security without them being confiscated:)that would be awful to have that happen:( Thanks....

Generally speaking I don’t think TSA confiscates food, only liquids. I’ve brought home cookies, bags of popcorn, a caramel apple, etc. and never had a problem. The only time they took food from me was when we tried to fly with a jar of peanut butter. (From Hawaii where we stayed in a condo, we don’t usually travel with jars of peanut butter!) Apparently it is considered to be a liquid and because it was in a large container it wasn’t allowed.

You can bring food through TSA. We always bring full meals through with us because we have long, west coast to east coast flights.

Oh good to know about the hand pies! @wowsmom are they any better than a pop tart? I have never eaten one and I am not a huge pop tart fan

They are tons better than a pop tart! I haven't eaten a pop tart in years. This was slightly reminiscent of one - mostly because the filling seemed similar - but the pastry was tender and it was so delicious that I was wishing I'd grabbed a second one. :)

Back in the fall, they had a sweet potato hand pie and it was also quite delicious.

The candies from the Candy Palace (next door to Jolly Holiday) mostly travel well, as long as you don't put them next to something warm (the chocolate will melt!). The English Toffee, Nuttles, and Peanut Brittle all travel well. I would think that most anything, except perhaps the cupcakes, would travel fairly well.

In terms of taking food through security, I've taken the raspberry macaron (and a turkey leg) through without any issues on more than one trip. They did ask to see the turkey leg (I think it's because it's a big dense object), but once they knew what it was, it was fine. The macaron didn't even trigger any extra review by security. I would just make sure to have the macaron somewhere safe so that it doesn't get crushed as it goes through security.

I always bring back bags of Disneyland toffee with me when I fly home; sometime even partially open in my carry-on luggage, and haven't had any issues.

Me too! And I bring some of the chocolate peanut butter sandwiches home too.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter