What kind of memory card for Canon EOS?

As far as I know, all of the Canon EOS digitals (the Digital Rebel 300D, the Digital Rebel XT 350D, the 10D, 20D, D30, D60, 5D, 1DS, 1DS Mark II) use Compact Flash (CF) cards.

However, remember that there are different grades of CF cards. The better the camera, the more benefit you will get out of the professional-grade CF cards, which cost more but are more reliable and have much faster write speeds.

Sandisk and Lexar both have excellent high-end CF cards. If you're getting one of the Digital Rebels, the standard grade cards will be fine, but if you're getting a 20D or a 5D, or especially a 1DS or 1DS Mark II, you should forget the standard grade cards and spring for the high-speed cards.

WillCAD said:
Sandisk and Lexar both have excellent high-end CF cards.

Very true - but just be aware, there was a problem with 80x Lexar cards and Canon cameras earlier in the year, so if anyone buys Lexar, just check the Lexar website, under Support - Customer Advisory as they may have to be sent back to have the firmware updated (free of charge though!)

My DH is purchasing me the Canon Rebel XT for Christmas this year. :earsgirl:

This is the CF Card we purchased. SanDisk-1GB Ultra II CompactFlash Memory Card-SDCFH-1024-901

Is this a decent CF card?

I am so excited to be getting this camera. We are going to spend a total of 14 days during the holidays at WDW and I can not wait to start taking pix.

yes its a great card, but unless you have a laptop you'll want more than 1 gb :-) I could take a gig in a day at WDW with my rebel

disfanatiks said:
My DH is purchasing me the Canon Rebel XT for Christmas this year. :earsgirl:

This is the CF Card we purchased. SanDisk-1GB Ultra II CompactFlash Memory Card-SDCFH-1024-901

Is this a decent CF card?

I am so excited to be getting this camera. We are going to spend a total of 14 days during the holidays at WDW and I can not wait to start taking pix.

As Razor Roman said, a single 1gb card will not be enough for 14 days of pics if you don't have a laptop. You will want to get some more cards.

Best Buy has the regular grade Sandisk CF cards on sale this weekend - 1gb is $60, plus a $20 mail-in rebate, for a final total of $40. And the 512mb CF cards are $30, with a $10 mail-in rebate, for a final total of $20.

I have a Rebel (6.3 MP) and I have one Ultra 2 and the others are regular sandisks. They work fine when I am shooting in the "best quality" but they are kind of slow when shooting in RAW mode, but since I mostly shoot in JPEG anyway I find the trade off for price savings right now is worth it to me. For Disney its not usually an issue anyway, I just use the Ultra 2 when I might want to shoot a lot of pictures all at once (Fireworks, Spectro, Fantasmic) and then I have loads of "bad" shots that I delete anyway.

I bought myself another 1 GB from BestBuy this weekend... that Disneyland/Hawaii trip is getting closer and closer. Hopefully I can buy one more high speed card (to go with my 1 256MB Ultra II) by then as well.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter