What kind of unique dishes are from your area?

Sweetpancake

Mouseketeer
I recently bought a very fun book called "Eat Like Walt" which is about food and how it relates to the Disney Parks and Walt Disney. I highly recommend it to anyone who loves Disney and food. Anyway, I read about Martino's tea cakes in the book which were served to the Ink and Paint girls on a daily basis and from everything I've read, were and are incredibly popular in Burbank and the surrounding area. I made a similar recipe this weekend and they were delicious! They really are unlike anything I've had before.

Where I live, there's a great little mom and pop burger place that serves the most amazing hamburgers with this delicious chili sauce. I have tried and tried and tried to replicate the sauce and have not been successful. There's one very particular ingredient that's very strong and I still can't figure out what it is. The sauce is like a coney island sauce but I've tried so many recipes and none have been right. Which got me thinking, are there any foods from where you live that are unlike anything you've had anywhere else? It amazes me that we all have access to the same ingredients and yet some can create recipes that are so special.

Chocolate egg cream which has neither cream or an egg. It's just chocolate syrup, seltzer/club soda (seltzer has more bubbles so it's the best but you can sub club soda) and milk but it's all in the proportions. I can still "direct" how I want it made but it's getting harder and harder to find anyone who can still remember the how tos and works in a restaurant. Oh and neither Bosco's or Hershey's syrups are right. Too thick, too sweet and the wrong flavor notes. It's gotta be Fox U Bet syrup or just order something else. Order a brisket of beef (Jewish style not Texas) on seeded rye and mayo to go w/ it. The mayo always makes the counter person wince;).

Upstate NY? Spiedies!!!! Ate many a one when I camped up that way and tended to wash it down with a Genesee. Slurpy yum yum.
I would not turn my nose up for a decent red hot either.

Chocolate egg cream which has neither cream or an egg. It's just chocolate syrup, seltzer/club soda (seltzer has more bubbles so it's the best but you can sub club soda) and milk but it's all in the proportions. I can still "direct" how I want it made but it's getting harder and harder to find anyone who can still remember the how tos and works in a restaurant. Oh and neither Bosco's or Hershey's syrups are right. Too thick, too sweet and the wrong flavor notes. It's gotta be Fox U Bet syrup or just order something else. Order a brisket of beef (Jewish style not Texas) on seeded rye and mayo to go w/ it. The mayo always makes the counter person wince;).

Upstate NY? Spiedies!!!! Ate many a one when I camped up that way and tended to wash it down with a Genesee. Slurpy yum yum.
I would not turn my nose up for a decent red hot either.

U brought back memories for me...my mom ( RIP) used to love ...brisket on rye!

Banana Pudding
BBQ
Biscuits & Gravy
Chicken Fried Steak
Cornbread Dressing
Fried Okra
Fried Green Tomatoes
Fruit Cobblers - especially blackberry & peach
Grits
the Original Moon Pies
Tennessee Moonshine
Tennessee Whiskey

And, this is going to sound crazy, but our water. We have some of the best community water - even straight from the tap. Whenever we travel anywhere, I miss our water the most.

Green and red Chile sauce. Blue corn enchiladas made with the sauce. Posole stew. Battered, fried and stuffed Chile Rellenos. Sopaipillas. Some of these things I can't eat anymore because gluten, but I can still eat enchiladas!

Toasted Ravioli (actually deep fried)
STL style pizza (not a fan)

I live in SW PA. I feel like we don't have a unique regional food. Pierogies? Halushki? Isaly's chipped ham barbeque? Primanti's sandwiches with french fries and coleslaw--but I think they are disgusting and I always pick off the fries and slaw anyway.

I'm from North NJ. We have a famous sub at a famous deli nearby called "The Godfodda" (and yes, you have to pronounce it like that when you order it!) The sandwich is made up of a fried chicken cutlet with mozzarella, bacon, and Russian dressing.

We have a lot of Basque restaurants here. I love the soup and the pickled tongue. The Grapery is in my area (home of the cotton candy grapes) but I'm not a fan.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter