What kind of unique dishes are from your area?

RI chowder is da best for when you feel icky sticky ill and I've been working on perfecting the making of it for a few years now. Got to get the right mixture of quahogs to steamers and I just haven't done it yet; still have time.
Gotta say that Menemsha is a blast from my past name and unfortunately I've never been there or anywhere in Chilmark. Used to bicycle camp on the island and mostly explored Edgartown, Oak Bluff and the Haven. There was a limit on how far the legs would take you, LOL. Stayed in a now long closed campground probably in Tisbury so food shopping was normally a straight run. I need to get back there with a car, LOL.

I have the recipe from Abbott's--they published in a little newsletter thingie. My copy looks like it's been through the war, but it is SO GOOD!

And actually, Carolina Chowder is also broth-based, but ironically, I haven't had it down here. I'm too busy ordering the Calabash seafood, I guess. We don't go out to eat very often, and my kids aren't big on seafood. Which is a shame, we live 10 minutes from the ocean.

I do believe that campground is still there, although I permanently moved away a few years back. It was supposed to be a couple of years there at the Harborview and then back to NYC, but, uhhh, things got in the way.
The one we stayed at is now part of Cranberry Acres Foundation /Land Trust-something like that. We visited the one over by Airport Road (?) that started with a "W" and was closer to Chilmark but at the time it was mostly seasonal campers and RVs and didn't feel quite right to us as tenters. I will say that I met a woman there who camped with 2 fridges, a washing machine, and her nine children. Her husband only showed up a few weekends per summer because he was working on a commercial trawler.
Meeting her I better understood why there are different camping styles and became more tolerant of the differences:). I think there is only one campground left on the island at the moment and it's in Oaks Bluff:(. Oh and I'm talking about the mid to late '70's when you probably weren't even a thought in your parents' eye, LOL.

I have the recipe from Abbott's--they published in a little newsletter thingie. My copy looks like it's been through the war, but it is SO GOOD!

And actually, Carolina Chowder is also broth-based, but ironically, I haven't had it down here. I'm too busy ordering the Calabash seafood, I guess. We don't go out to eat very often, and my kids aren't big on seafood. Which is a shame, we live 10 minutes from the ocean.
Do you know if the ingredient list is on line or could you maybe please take a pic of it and post it? I'd be eternally grateful!

Sounds like I need to do a road trip to the Carolinas! Calabash seafood and Carolina chowder are new to me although I've gone through the seasoning and sauce wars of the region on line and survived with a healthy respect for the nuances.

I'd never heard of "Frito pies" until I moved to this part of Texas. They're a big thing at the refreshment stands at football games.
I did Frito pies on bar menus in NE and here in Utah using a short rib chili. Sadly at both places it was mostly the staff crushing them.

Bagna Cauda. I had never heard of it until I started dating DH. It's made with olive oil, melted butter, chopped anchovies, garlic, and basil. It's served warm, like fondue. We dip bread and cabbage into it. Absolutely amazing while you're eating it. Nauseating for the next 12 hours when it's seeping out your pores.

My kids are 10th generation Floridians on their mom’s side. A traditional meal at their home on the gulf coast was fried mullet, hush puppies, grits, and coleslaw. Dessert was cornbread from a cast iron skillet drizzled with cane syrup.

Bagna Cauda. I had never heard of it until I started dating DH. It's made with olive oil, melted butter, chopped anchovies, garlic, and basil. It's served warm, like fondue. We dip bread and cabbage into it. Absolutely amazing while you're eating it. Nauseating for the next 12 hours when it's seeping out your pores.

You can use lots of other veggies with it as well- zucchini, carrots, radicchio whatever makes you happy and make it a complete vegetarian meal:)

Not sure if they qualify as a "dish" but there are foods I would consider local.

California-style pizza. And California Pizza Kitchen isn't it.

photo-home-newsevents-right.jpg

Cioppino.

460x1240.jpg

And it is kind of a stereotype, but New England style clam chowder in a carved out bread bowl.

clam-chowder-bread-bowl.jpg

Not sure if they qualify as a "dish" but there are foods I would consider local.

And it is kind of a stereotype, but New England style clam chowder in a carved out bread bowl.
Now you have me thinking about taking next year's vacation to San Francisco. We stayed at a hotel near the Boudin's Fisherman's Wharf location and had the Sourdough French Toast a few mornings plus Sourdough bread and Shrimp for lunch one day.Not to mention eating upstairs in the restaurant. Glad you didn't post a picture of the Buena Vista Irish Coffee. Otherwise DH might have gotten up tomorrow to a booked trip;)

I'm from Texas which is a great place for regional food. We are famous for Tex Mex, Dr. Pepper, BBQ brisket, Texas-style chili (no beans), chicken fried steak and originating Fletcher's corny dogs, a lot of the crazy fried foods you see at fairs, and the frozen margarita machine. We have other regional foods we love that are less well known such as King Ranch casserole, Shiner Boch beer, and sausage rolls. Sure, other places have sausage rolls but our's are different. Ours evolved from the kolaches brought to Texas by Czech immigrants and are made with link sausage. Originally the sausages were wrapped in kolache dough. While there are kolache shops all over Texas who make them the traditional way, local donut shops often run by Asian immigrants are selling them wrapped in kolache or donut dough. You can get them in two sizes with or without jalapeno sausage. They've further evolved into croissant sausage rolls where the sausage is wrapped in a croissant and bacon and sausage croissants.

Jucy Lucy's
MN style pizza...just had it tonight
Lutefisk
Hot dish
Walleye
Damn good beer

Salt potatoes
Tomato pie (though I’ve learned it’s a NJ thing also)
Chicken “riggies”

You must be near me! (Syracuse, NY)

Hoffmann's Hot Dogs and Coneys (Here Coney's are a spicy white "hot dog" made with pork and veal.)

I'd also add Utica Greens - a little up the road, but very popular here as well.

Last edited:
Now you have me thinking about taking next year's vacation to San Francisco. We stayed at a hotel near the Boudin's Fisherman's Wharf location and had the Sourdough French Toast a few mornings plus Sourdough bread and Shrimp for lunch one day.Not to mention eating upstairs in the restaurant. Glad you didn't post a picture of the Buena Vista Irish Coffee. Otherwise DH might have gotten up tomorrow to a booked trip;)

My understanding is that Irish coffee is actually Irish, although Buena Vista is where it was popularized in the US. Walked by many times but have never had one.

Real sweet tea is made with simple syrup. One part sugar, one part water boiled, then allowed to cool.

Yes... Ma'am .... You are correct. 1 cup of sugar (Real sugar, not the substitute stuff) and 1 cup of water, bring to a boil, make sure to stir it and that all the sugar is dissolved, then let it cool. The tea should steep, mix together. and it should be served over a glass full of ice... Not a quarter full, not half full, not three quarters full, and full glass of ice. The lemon on the side is up to you. Sit down, and enjoy.

Cincinnati/Tri state
Three way chilli (with cinnamon)
Graeder’s ice cream
Goetta

Maryland
Old bay

16958_12446_large.jpg

Amish fry pies. Deep fried fruit hand pies drizzled in glaze.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter