What kind of unique dishes are from your area?

Sweet tea, Cheeseburgers or hot dogs "All the Way" or Carolina Style - Burger or hot dog, cheese (burger only), mustard, chili sauce, onion and cole slaw. Barbecue is always pork and can be eastern or western style. No mustard and no beef. And when we put hamburgers, hot dogs, etc on the grill we are "cooking out" not "barbecuing". And livermush.

I’m 10 minutes from Louisville, Kenticky so the most popular foods were posted above.

If I travel an hour or so north to more central Indiana, the fried pork tenderloin sandwich is very popular.

Chicago - take your pick from whatever food group you choose and Chicago will most likely be famous for a version of it.

Detroit - Coney Dogs, and really that's it that I can think of. There are various snacks and sodas that are fairly unique to Detroit too, like Vernors, Faygo Pop, Superman Ice Cream, Boston Coolers, and Better Made BBQ chips

Last edited:

Bar-b-que (mostly beef brisket in Texas 12 hours slow smoked)
Kolaches (fruit, cherry, dewberry, cheese)
Kolachkas (I think that's the word, my Czech wife knows for sure everyone else calls them kolaches but these are the ones with sausage in them and different from kolaches)
Chili, Texas style, no beans, with cornbread
Lone Star Beer, Shiner Beer
Dewberry Cobbler (it's like a blackberry but grows wild all over East Texas)
Mustain Grape wine and jelly (wild grapes that grow all over East Texas)
Venison Sausage (half venison, half pork with garlic, peppers and spice)
Blue Bell Ice Cream
Gulf Shrimp, boiled, fried, or grilled
Red Fish on the half shell (Redfish filet with skin on marinated for several hours then grilled with skin and scales still on it over a hot fire. Skin is the "pan" if you will)
Fried speckle Trout filets
Crawfish in season boiled with corn, potatoes, sausage, and hot dogs
Turnip greens, Mustard greens, Collard greens with fatback and cornbread
Squirrel with dumplings
Fajita's
Tex Mex

Pork Roll ( which I like) and Scrapple ( ugh).

Hate Pork Roll and *Love* Scrapple (especially sliced thin, fried, and served on a bagel with cream cheese). Also, I'm from South Philadelphia, where the best cheesesteaks are. I know you can get a "Philly Steak and Cheese" in lots of places, but it's not the same.

I live in Georgia. Just about everything we eat down here is unique to the south. My favorite, boiled peanuts.

Boiled peanuts are common in Asia. I guess in the US it's more common that peanuts are roasted.

Good Pizza, and I guess a clam pizza but I won’t touch that!
Lobster roll on a New England style bun toasted with butter

"Like" with points off for clam pie response, LOL.
Alright maybeeeeeeeee you prefer a summer tomato pie with your Foxon birch beer. New Haven pizza is the only style rival to the NY pizza I grew up on:).

There's a fishmonger on US1 just past Atlantic Seafood, on the opposite side of the road, going towards the WM at Old Saybrook. Do you know the name because I forgot? It's run by a woman and her husband now but used to be operated by her dad.

You must be near me! (Syracuse, NY)

Hoffmann's Hot Dogs and Coneys (Here Coney's are a spicy white "hot dog" made with pork and veal.)

I'd also add Utica Greens - a little up the road, but very popular here as well.
Albany area... We’ve seemed to adopt some of the more western NY tastes :)

Since seafood has been mentioned, I guess the "Hangtown Fry" has a certain legend around here. One story is that it originated in Placerville, California as a last meal request by a condemned man in the town that was known as "Old Hangtown" for lots of hangings. The gist is that he asked for a meal of an oyster omelette with bacon, knowing that it would take at least a day for those items to arrive from around San Francisco via steam ships and rough terrain, and possibly more time for the request to be sent to San Francisco (might have been before telegraph was available). There are other origin stories such as a gold prospector striking it rich and asking for the most expensive thing to eat that could be assembled.

Hate Pork Roll and *Love* Scrapple (especially sliced thin, fried, and served on a bagel with cream cheese). Also, I'm from South Philadelphia, where the best cheesesteaks are. I know you can get a "Philly Steak and Cheese" in lots of places, but it's not the same.
My favorite Cheesesteak was at Jim's on South St.. I would never order a cheesesteak outside of the Delaware Valley.:thumbsup2

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter