What makes a good Disney Villain or comic book villain?

old lady

DIS Veteran
I heard a complaint that there is no more good Disney villain or Marvel ones? That Loki is really an anti- hero and not a villain. D.C has all the good villains and Disney can't make any good ones anymore. What does make a good Disney Villain or comic book one? He or she doesn't die. True, some don't like Pete or the Wicked Stepmother, but some do. All the Marvel ones die and it seems that Thanos is the only good one?

I heard a complaint that there is no more good Disney villain or Marvel ones? That Loki is really an anti- hero and not a villain. D.C has all the good villains and Disney can't make any good ones anymore. What does make a good Disney Villain or comic book one? He or she doesn't die. True, some don't like Pete or the Wicked Stepmother, but some do. All the Marvel ones die and it seems that Thanos is the only good one?

Well I can tell you it's not Kylo Ren after "removing that ridiculous mask" per Snoke.

Sure its just a cool unnecessary mask, but a plain white guy for IX as the only bad guy? Stupid.

At least he looked a bit mean/cool in FA.

Weirdly he still wears the "ridiculous" mask at DHS stage show.

Well I can tell you it's not Kylo Ren after "removing that ridiculous mask" per Snoke.

Sure its just a cool unnecessary mask, but a plain white guy for IX as the only bad guy? Stupid.
Did you get a look at that giant nose of his?? At least that explained the shape of the mask. I'm shocked they didn't also cast him as an elephant in the live action Dumbo film.

And in the end, the one who pays the price the most is the poor local Florida high school kid forced to wear the outfit over the summer months...

I wanna know how he keeps his hair so fluffy under that mask! The force?

I do agree. While I liked Last Jedi fine, I didn't like them getting rid of his mask completely. I get the Snoke part, like "don't wear that thing in front of me!" but it would have been cool if he had put it back on later in an act of defiance and wore it for the final battle. He can always get a new one for IX though.

I wanna know how he keeps his hair so fluffy under that mask! The force?

I do agree. While I liked Last Jedi fine, I didn't like them getting rid of his mask completely. I get the Snoke part, like "don't wear that thing in front of me!" but it would have been cool if he had put it back on later in an act of defiance and wore it for the final battle. He can always get a new one for IX though.

Yea true. That first time he is in FA he was a pretty cool looking villain with mask/cape/voice, esp when stopping that blaster in mid air etc.

If you check Adam Driver's (Kylo Ren's) background you'll see he's a former Marine who's done a LOT of good with his recent fame. Plus check him out on YouTube when he hosted Saturday Night Live. He did an "Undercover Boss" as Kylo Ren that's really funny!

Anyway - what makes ANY villain a good one is a clear, understandable motive combined with power. Darth Vader is a good villain because you see him destroy things the heroes love (Alderaan) and you know he's capable of destroying everything.

Some have said - and I agree - that one of Disney's greatest villains is Lady Tremaine in 'Cinderella'. She's evil, but it's not a cartoony evil; she's calculating and shrewd. She has no superpowers but she manages to hinder and harm Cinderella just by saying things to the stepsisters. She's a perfectly ordinary person, probably even admired in the community. She gets away with a LOT of evil that has nothing to do with blowing up planets or stealing secret formulas. That's what makes her really scary - her villainy is very human.

An axiom that I think is very true is "every villain is the hero of his own story". Thanos just wants to bring balance to the galaxy. Judge Frollo just wants law and order. Scar just wants the same respect his brother Mufasa gets. Sid has the same imagination Andy has, it just runs in a different direction.

One of Pixar's best movies is "Finding Nemo" and the only character close to a villain in that movie is Darla - and even she just wants a pet fishie. She's simply too undisciplined to know that her 'affection' is harmful.

So, there's my answer. I thought Syndrome was a pretty good villain, but my favorite is Gaston from Beauty and the Beast. Clear motives, HUGE jerk, and everything that happened to him was his own darn fault! Plus he had a great baritone. :-)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter