What Might Reopening Day Be Like? (Speculate Away!)

Not me. I'm in the 'it's going to be a madhouse' camp and prefer not to take the chance of being in crowds so huge you can lift your feet and be carried along with the human tide. But I can't wait to see all of WonkaKid's pictures of it!!!

I'll be going as soon as the dust has settled and there's a real picture of what the crowds are going to be like.

You know they will be limiting attendance in the beginning, right? Like, pretty severely. Also likely going to require advanced reservations to get into the park. It will be the opposite of a madhouse.

You know they will be limiting attendance in the beginning, right? Like, pretty severely. Also likely going to require advanced reservations to get into the park. It will be the opposite of a madhouse.

But we don't really KNOW that, do we? We know what we THINK they'll do, but not for sure what they WILL do.

They may or may not follow the 'models' of Shanghai or WDW. Shoot, we don't even know exactly what and/or how WDW will reopen for sure right now. We know what's being proposed, but paraphrasing Yogi Berra "It ain't decided til the fat lady opens the turnstiles".

If it's indeed limited capacity and by reservation I might change my mind about going opening day. Time will tell. Until then, I'll figure on NOT going.

But we don't really KNOW that, do we? We know what we THINK they'll do, but not for sure what they WILL do.

They may or may not follow the 'models' of Shanghai or WDW. Shoot, we don't even know exactly what and/or how WDW will reopen for sure right now. We know what's being proposed, but paraphrasing Yogi Berra "It ain't decided til the fat lady opens the turnstiles".

If it's indeed limited capacity and by reservation I might change my mind about going opening day. Time will tell. Until then, I'll figure on NOT going.
Actually, Disney has already said they will follow Shanghai model for procedures, but adjust for any local requirements that may exist beyond that.

Yes, we DO know that. The state guidelines for CA are very strict about opening in phases with LIMITED CAPACITIES at ALL places that open, until there is a vaccine or effective therapeutic developed. Even our phase 4 (the last phase) is "sporting events without audiences." They expect theme parks to open in phase 3 or 4 here. We are in phase 2 currently.

If they use a reservation system, what if you're from out of town and have multi day tickets but are staying off-site? What if you can't get reservations for all your ticket days? (We're probably rescheduling for summer 2021 but just thinking out loud.)

If they use a reservation system, what if you're from out of town and have multi day tickets but are staying off-site? What if you can't get reservations for all your ticket days? (We're probably rescheduling for summer 2021 but just thinking out loud.)

There’s no way they’ll have a reservation system that doesn’t tell you in advance if you got in. Otherwise that might encourage people coming to the resort area unnecessarily and if the goal is to reduce crowds that wouldn’t be ideal.

According to another thread, Shanghai's opening day was sold out within minutes. The question is not who will go, but who will get in. Who will sit at his desk with a desktop, 2 laptops and 4 other mobile devices with the entire family to get tickets? Who will take time off to try to get the reservation?

According to another thread, Shanghai's opening day was sold out within minutes. The question is not who will go, but who will get in. Who will sit at his desk with a desktop, 2 laptops and 4 other mobile devices with the entire family to get tickets? Who will take time off to try to get the reservation?
100% not me. I'm way too impatient.

Sounds like us trying to get camping reservations at Yosemite or Yellowstone!! Once we actually did have 2 laptops and 3 desktops + an iPad all going at once.

OR sounds like people trying to score a FP+ for a new attraction at WDW.

People will go through the motions, but the sticklers will probably still be at home because they think it's "too soon."

Well, for some folks too soon is a medical reality they have to deal with. I’m in that boat. I’m dying to get out of the house but my doctor told me to stay put for awhile.

Well, for some folks too soon is a medical reality they have to deal with. I’m in that boat. I’m dying to get out of the house but my doctor told me to stay put for awhile.

Sorry if you felt that I was referring to folks who have underlying medical conditions. The comment was aimed at folks who jump down your throat for daring to step within 6 feet of them at the grocery store, or if at work, pulling your mask down for a moment while walking down the hall because it has gotten uncomfortable. Both of which have happened to me.

Disneyland would suck with these people around...

Sorry if you felt that I was referring to folks who have underlying medical conditions. The comment was aimed at folks who jump down your throat for daring to step within 6 feet of them at the grocery store, or if at work, pulling your mask down for a moment while walking down the hall because it has gotten uncomfortable. Both of which have happened to me.

Disneyland would suck with these people around...

Ugh, I can’t even imagine. On the flip side though I’d be incredibly uncomfortable if no one was taking the six foot distance thing seriously either which can also be rude. I feel like this situation is going to amount in tension regardless.

So feeling for our cast members. I’m hoping that the magic of Disneyland will inspire more courtesy than we’ve seen in other public places. And for opening day that could be the case! I have a feeling it’s going to be a magical moment and I’m envious of those who can safely participate. I’ll live vicariously through you on this board!

I’m hoping that the magic of Disneyland will inspire more courtesy than we’ve seen in other public places

I must be in a pessimistic mood but there are so many people that either don't give a flying fignewton out any sort of common sense social distancing practices or do a total freak out if you happen to miss the myriad of arrows on the floor and dare to accidently go the wrong way (both happened this afternoon while grocery shopping). Disney "magic" may happen and I certainly hope it does but I can easily see entitled dimtwits use any number of justifications to make sure that they have the time they are expecting and not give a hoot as to people around them, that unfortunately will mean alot of abuse for the CM's and other guest.

The good thing is that they're starting with Shanghai where the guest behavior tends to be the worst. If they figure out a system that works there, it should theoretically be easier to handle guests in other parks. I'm not too concerned about line cutting for attractions but I can imagine things getting a bit crazy for parades and outdoor shows.

I must be in a pessimistic mood but there are so many people that either don't give a flying fignewton out any sort of common sense social distancing practices or do a total freak out if you happen to miss the myriad of arrows on the floor and dare to accidently go the wrong way (both happened this afternoon while grocery shopping). Disney "magic" may happen and I certainly hope it does but I can easily see entitled dimtwits use any number of justifications to make sure that they have the time they are expecting and not give a hoot as to people around them, that unfortunately will mean alot of abuse for the CM's and other guest.

Yeah, i think you can get a good sense of what people will be like by comparing to shopping. I've personally seen fights break out because of social distancing issues. I've been body checked by someone who wanted to get in front of me in line. My hubby had someone cut in front of him in line (and 4 other people) and that line budder told everyone to stuff it.

People won't likely be in panic mode like they are at the grocery store, but consider a lot of these people have been cooped up for months, and may not have the best manners on their maiden voyage! Lol

Reminder, everyone: The topic of this thread is what we think re-opening day at DLR will be like. Let's keep this thread focused and on topic. This is not the thread for criticizing other parks and guest behavior there. Off topic posts will be deleted.
Now, back to the discussion!

Yeah, i think you can get a good sense of what people will be like by comparing to shopping. I've personally seen fights break out because of social distancing issues. I've been body checked by someone who wanted to get in front of me in line. My hubby had someone cut in front of him in line (and 4 other people) and that line budder told everyone to stuff it.

I mentioned this in the other thread, but if people can't even sneeze correctly into the crook of their arm in 2020, I have zero faith that the execution of mask wearing will be successful on DL day #1.

I mean, people will have them on, but will it be effective? Nope. But if it's a rule that helps to get DL open, I'm all for it... I just need to personally ease up on being the mask police in my head (I work at a hospital, so I can bug people about it if it's being worn wrong... I think a lot of us will have to do that going forward).

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!