What movies to watch before visiting SWGE?

rachaeld

Mouseketeer
We will be in Disneyland late September/October this year. We haven’t watched any of the movies (my husband watched some as a child).

What movies do you recommend we watch before coming? Should we watch them all to get the full story, or will watching some of the later movies be enough.

Honestly I'd stick with the original trilogy: New Hope , Empire strikes back and Return of the Jedi. Read a wikipedia synopsis of Phantom Menace ,Clone wars is decent and Revenge of the Sith has its moments that tie things in.

I do recommend Rogue One though , so good.
The new ones I enjoyed though Last Jedi was kind of weak had some very important moments I felt.

So my first thought is why wouldn't you watch them all?

But if watching Star Wars would be a struggle I'd suggest watching the original trilogy 4-5-6, then 7-8. Technically Solo and Rouge One take place before episode 4, though there is debate on where Solo actually fits in. That said I would not watch either of those first. While I enjoyed Rogue One I don't think its essential to watch for SWGE.

Since I assume you don't own any SW movies, I'd say ask some friends to see if you can borrow their DVDs.

I would say if you are trying to watch as few movies as possible, go with episode 6, Return of the Jedi, then watch episode 7, The Force Awakens, and then episode 8, The Last Jedi. That should get you ready for episode 9, The Rise of Skywalker, and also SWGE.

Watch ALL of them in release order, PLEASE.

I used to be one of those "I don't like Star Wars" people, but then I actually watched them (in release order) and now I'm a BIG fan. I'm particularly fond of Kylo Ren, but I like it all, really. The prequels are the weak point, imo, except for Revenge of the Sith, so if you're skipping some movies, I'd skip the prequels and standalone movies (Rogue One and Solo). You'll want the original trilogy and sequel trilogy knowledge going into Batuu, imo.

Oh yes... thanks for the reminder... I almost forgot it...
I have to watch the movies as well... I think I have to at least watch them at least once before going... I haven’t seen any of them yet...:rolleyes1

Watch them all. They are all great and entertaining. I will say that it is best to watch the saga in release order, so that's IV, V, VI, then I, II, III, then VII, VIII and well, IX is out in December. Rogue One and Solo can kind of go in wherever, though they take place between III & IV, actually Rogue One takes place RIGHT before IV. Enjoy them!

Last edited:
Watch ALL of them in release order, PLEASE.

I used to be one of those "I don't like Star Wars" people, but then I actually watched them (in release order) and now I'm a BIG fan. I'm particularly fond of Kylo Ren, but I like it all, really. The prequels are the weak point, imo, except for Revenge of the Sith, so if you're skipping some movies, I'd skip the prequels and standalone movies (Rogue One and Solo). You'll want the original trilogy and sequel trilogy knowledge going into Batuu, imo.

I LOVE Hondo! Clone Wars, Rebels, and Resistance are all worth checking out for SW fans!

Also, I love the Prequels. I would encourage those who haven't watched any SW to at least give them a try. They can in a way "spoil" some stuff in the Originals, but most of that stuff is pretty common knowledge. Kids may not want it ruined though.

I LOVE Hondo! Clone Wars, Rebels, and Resistance are all worth checking out for SW fans!

Also, I love the Prequels. I would encourage those who haven't watched any SW to at least give them a try. They can in a way "spoil" some stuff in the Originals, but most of that stuff is pretty common knowledge. Kids may not want it ruined though.

Oh, I'm going to check out the animated series for sure, just haven't gotten around to it yet. Probably read some of the EU books, too.

I'm just really a stickler for watching any series in release order, tbh, you can definitely do it chronological, if you prefer.

Oh, I'm going to check out the animated series for sure, just haven't gotten around to it yet. Probably read some of the EU books, too.

I'm just really a stickler for watching any series in release order, tbh, you can definitely do it chronological, if you prefer.

Yeah, I think for first timers, release order is best. I kind of lean toward chronological order now, but I'm so well-versed in SW lore that the surprises don't really hit me anymore. It is very fun to watch Rogue One and A New Hope back to back!

Yeah, I think for first timers, release order is best. I kind of lean toward chronological order now, but I'm so well-versed in SW lore that the surprises don't really hit me anymore. It is very fun to watch Rogue One and A New Hope back to back!

I also like to watch in release order. I will add that in the cartoon realm, I am very happy they are bringing back the clone wars, that was such a great show.

The episode with the clone trooper "betraying" his brothers to be free was excellent.

I also like to watch in release order. I will add that in the cartoon realm, I am very happy they are bringing back the clone wars, that was such a great show.

The episode with the clone trooper "betraying" his brothers to be free was excellent.

There are so many great Clone Wars episodes. I love the "Darkness on Umbara" the most I think. I am also very glad it's coming back!

Oh right... watching them in the „right“ order is another problem I have to solve them once I‘ve bought them...
I already researched enough to find out that the „right“ order is a scientific mystery... not an easy decision...

If you want to really geek out, you need to watch them in this order:

Episode IV - original version, no added scenes
Episode V - original version, no added scenes
Episode VI - original version, no added scenes
Solo
Rouge One
Episode IV - updated version with added scenes
Episode V - updated version with added scenes
Episode VI - updated version with added scenes
Episode I
Episode II
Episode III
Episode VII
Episode VIII
Episode IX

If you watch the update versions of episodes IV thru VI, certain things can be spoiled.

If you want to really geek out, you need to watch them in this order:

Episode IV - original version, no added scenes
Episode V - original version, no added scenes
Episode VI - original version, no added scenes
Solo
Rouge One
Episode IV - updated version with added scenes
Episode V - updated version with added scenes
Episode VI - updated version with added scenes
Episode I
Episode II
Episode III
Episode VII
Episode VIII
Episode IX

If you watch the update versions of episodes IV thru VI, certain things can be spoiled.

Well, and if you want to get really crazy, there are a few different updated versions out there. Even the prequels received some minor updates on DVD and Blu-Ray. It can be complicated.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!