What NOT to miss at Universal?

Kirk

AKA Papa
We haven't included Universal Studios in more than 15 years. My 2 grandsons (10 & 7) have been begging to go so I added 4 days at Portofino Bay at the end of our WDW trip in August. What attractions, dining, shows or events do we want to be sure to catch? Is there anything that requires a reservation that I need to grab now? Any help would be truly appreciated!

Dang, Papa! Way to come through...

4 days at Portofino - you are good to go, the hard work is already done!

Spend the first day getting acquainted - ride what you want, but get a feel for the layout of the hotel, City Walk, and the parks. Don't underestimate the shows, they are very fun. Plenty of good food, no need for reservations until you are on site, and probably not even then - maybe one or two of the restaurants at most.

We went early to the parks, then back to the hotel pool from 1pm to 4 pm, had dinner at City Walk and closed the parks. There seems to be a mad rush out of the parks between 5 and 6 pm, the evenings are a fantastic time to tour.

At most, look at the maps and the menu sticky - don't think you have to commando Universal like Disney. The Express Pass is golden and will allow for so much fun AND relaxation.

Pending your grandsons tastes - spend time at Harry Potter (both parks), the Mummy if tall enough (it is Great), Transformers/Spiderman, Minions. I also highly recommend taking an early shift and heading over in your swimwear and ride the 3 water rides at Islands (Jurassic Park, Dudley, and Blutos). They are so much fun, and the kids will get soaked - like stand in the shower with your clothes on wet!

Hi doing Universal at the end is a great idea. You are staying at one of my favorite resorts! You will have a great time. As far as reservations for stuff at the parks you don't need it. You will have the express pass for the rides, and the shows are just go before they start. Mythos is the only restaurant in IOA that can take a reservation. Most of the restaurants at City Walk do not take reservations.

Our favorites at City Walk are Toothsome, and Bubba Gump . Cow Fish gets a lot of good reviews as does the Sandwich Box.

We like both of the HP restaurants, Thunder Falls Terrace in IOA. Confiscos at IOA gets good reviews and Louies in the studios has good pizza.

If they are into HP worlds try and go early once or twice when it is less crowded. It is nice to walk around and see everything. There are a lot of little things to see. If you are going to get wands this is a great time to use them for spells. You could do the Olivander's show then get the wands. These areas get very crowded during the day.
Favorite rides Studios: Mummy, Gringotts, Minion Mayhem and Transformers - IOA Spiderman, Forbidden Journey and Dr. Doom.
If they have the summer light show at Hogsmeade it is very nice.

Tip for butter beer in HP. If you are in Hogsmeade use the Hogs Head Pub to get your drinks. There is usually never a line and the cars are crazy. Frozen butter beer is our favorite. The pumpkin juice on tap is great, not the bottle one.

Tip if you are going to use the water taxi it will close down in the storms and you will have to catch a bus or walk from the parks.

Portofino has a great pool and amenities. We like to put some resort time in. You will have time with having the express pass. (You are going to be spoiled with it LOL)

Any other questions just ask, happy planning!

You will have express pass. If you will also have park to park tickets, you are all set.

Be sure to go to Diagon Alley on the universal side.

You will have early entry. That is the perfect time to do the interactive wand spells in the HP areas.

I'm going to be a bit contrary here insofar as I've always seen lines at the Hogs Head, sometimes well out the back door onto the terrace.

Check to see how many bartenders are working. If it's just one and the line is a dozen deep, you're in for a decent wait. If they have two working you'll probably be in decent shape.

Also, I thought Toothsome wasn't great. Food was mediocre and service took forever. I'd honestly recommend just getting the "to go" milkshake at the counter. Your mileage may vary.

At USF, my must do’s are: Horror Make Up Show, Gringott’s, and MIB. I’ll grab a beer from both the Duff Brewery and Chez Alcatraz.

At IOA, my must do’s are: Spiderman, Kong, and JPRA. I’ll dine at Mythos once during each trip. I’ll also grab a beer from Backwater Bar.

Also, get the park hopper ticket so that you can ride the Hogwarts Express between the two parks. Be sure to ride it both directions.

I'm going to be a bit contrary here insofar as I've always seen lines at the Hogs Head, sometimes well out the back door onto the terrace.

Check to see how many bartenders are working. If it's just one and the line is a dozen deep, you're in for a decent wait. If they have two working you'll probably be in decent shape.

Also, I thought Toothsome wasn't great. Food was mediocre and service took forever. I'd honestly recommend just getting the "to go" milkshake at the counter. Your mileage may vary.

Yea, we grabbed a spot out back. Shortly, the line came out the door, and soon the line was where we were sitting.
C2EFAA22-B7A6-4F9D-914D-C765E7D16389.jpeg

My short version - 7 and 10 are hard ages to target as they could have such a variety of tastes.
My family's absolute favorite things are all of the Happy Potter areas - but we are huge Potter fans, so that's easy. I'd say consider an interactive wand or two if they have any interest in HP - they are super fun.

Overall, because you'll have express pass and have four days, I'd say you can do everything without too much trouble.

A couple last short bits.... Toothesome is amazing, the theming rocks. If it is hot, the wet rides in IOA (Dudley Doright and Popeye) are super fun. We have ridden the Popeye ride many times in a row when crowds permit. Note: You will be soaked to your underclothes. Not just a bit wet.

With 4 days and the Express Unlimited passes from staying at Portofino Bay you don't have to worry about what not to miss as you'll easily get everything done, and multiple times at that for anything you like. My kids were 11 and 7 last year when we went and they have different favourites.

My daughter (11) loves Harry Potter, so we spent a lot of time in both Diagon Alley and Hogsmeade. Her favourite rides were Hulk and HPatFJ in IoA, and The Mummy & MIB in USF.

My son (7) isn't a big fan of the thrill rides, but he loved Spider-man, Kong & Popeye in IoA, and Minions & Fast & Furious in USF.

As mentioned elsewhere you will get soaked on the water rides in IoA. Not so much on the Jurassic Park one, but Popeye and Dudley Do-Right will both get you, so plan to do those just before heading back to the hotel, either at the end of the day or for a break during the day.

If you've got the park-to-park tickets then make sure to ride the train between the parks in both directions, as it's different in each direction.

The best part of Universal, honestly, is just how relaxed it is compared to Disney- where its mega crowded, and everything you do must be scheduled months prior if you want to eat in most restaurants, or not wait 2+ hours in line for a ride.

Not that Universal doesn't get crowds, or that rides don't get waits, but everything is manageable. Everything is rideable- you might have to just be opportunistic on the most popular things (The big Harry Potter attractions wwere like 80-90 minute standby wait at peak times during my October 2018 trip)- and it sounds like you will have the express passes already, so you are set there. Longest I waited was 40 minutes for one of the Harry Potter rides in the entire trip. But hit it first thing in the morning and you can walk on.

And I've had no problem just walking up to any restaurant on the property and being seated in reasonable time- sure you might have a 15-30 minute wait during the dinner rush, but I'll take that over the rat race of competing with thousands getting online reservations six months out, and "settling" for crappy "off" times because of the demand like you do in Disney.

So just relax, take your time, and enjoy the trip, you will have plenty of time to enjoy everything the parks have to offer.

Try not to miss the Horror Make-up show. I think 7 & 10 years olds will not find it frightening. Because it is a great show, funny and unexpected. Easy to skip (as I did for many trips) and when I finally saw it, I kicked myself for waiting so long!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter