What "old person" things do you do?

You mean everybody doesn't balance their bank statements?? I pay all of my bills via electronic checks (never auto pay which I think is a recipe for disaster) yet reconcile monthly. I wonder why some people don't?

I
I haven’t balanced a cheque book in maybe 15 years? I just look at the balance on my app and compare it to my spreadsheets of auto withdrawals.

Era - actually longer now I think about it. Probably closer to 20-25.

It's been over 30 years for me, which is about the time I started using ATMs ("tap MAC") for cash withdrawals. I was just too lazy to keep the receipts and write them in the checkbook register. So I just studied the paper statements every month to see if all looked OK.

I've had paperless e-mail statements for at least 15 years now, and I rarely even bother to look at them these days. I see my balance at least once a week on the app and as long as it appears reasonable I'm fine with it. I don't compare it with anything.

I do remember about 35 years ago spending hours trying to reconcile a 30 cent discrepancy.

Why, that's why you need a cell phone then... so you never have to leave your home.

Order everything via online, either from your computer or your phone.... groceries, dinner, Amazon stuff...
My situation is very complicated and cant afford a cell phone just being honest

I went to visit a friend and we went to lunch with his parents. I enjoyed being with them so much I’d visit them again even if my friend couldn’t make it!

I watch tv, communicate primarily via e-mail and keyboard 60 words a minute using all 10 fingers. These are things my 22 y.o. DS assures me only old people do. :rotfl2:

I knit and cross stitch.
I love Elvis Presley
I'm obsessed with the Rat Pack
My favorite way to spend a day is sitting on my couch knitting with a movie or show on the tv
I'm still under 35 I swear...

It's been over 30 years for me, which is about the time I started using ATMs ("tap MAC") for cash withdrawals. I was just too lazy to keep the receipts and write them in the checkbook register. So I just studied the paper statements every month to see if all looked OK.

I've had paperless e-mail statements for at least 15 years now, and I rarely even bother to look at them these days. I see my balance at least once a week on the app and as long as it appears reasonable I'm fine with it. I don't compare it with anything.

I do remember about 35 years ago spending hours trying to reconcile a 30 cent discrepancy.
I still included a reconciliation for my clients' monthly report until I sold the business so it was easy enough to do the same for my own accounts. About once maybe twice a year the banks would make a mistake in the opening/closing balance that would cascade into other parts of the reports so yeah with much grumbling the first error had to be rectified or I'd get a "chilly" letter from the CPA, goodness forbid. Yes, .30 or .03, fix it because the world's economy depends on the outcome;).

I don't know what venmo, Sharknado, Spotify, or fomo are (just going off of this thread).

I hate both texting and talking on the phone (nothing like good ole face to face).

I don't do Twitter, instagram, or Snapchat.

I use paper maps.

I hand write everything (even in college just a couple years ago as an English major, I hand wrote all essays before typing them).

I go into bars and literally don't know a single song/artist that is playing. I couldn't name a single new artist from the last 5+ years.

I've never owned or used an iPad, iPod, Chromebook, mp3 player, or any apple whatever.

I say ma'am and sir.

I don't do selfies and have more pics on my phone of nature than I do of my kids. (I have no idea how I'm going to get them off my phone though and lose pics every time I get a new phone so I keep all the old phones hoping someday I'll have the time, knowledge, and desire to do something about it, but it's unlikely to happen).

While waiting for appointments, I read every brochure and sign in the office rather than staring at my phone.

There's no greater smell than the wind blowing through the pages of an old book while sitting in the middle of the woods.

Skinny jeans, purposely ripped jeans, $5 (or more) coffees, and cutesy names for things annoy me.

I just turned 30.

I cannot understand how to work my parents’ TV or remote. My mom has explained it to me a dozen times and I can barely turn it on. She has a MUCH better brain for technology than I do.

I remind people, “If you put it away in the same place every time, you’ll always know where it is!” as if possessed by my grandmother.

I don’t use any social media (besides the Dis!) including Twitter, Facebook, and Instagram.

I’m in bed as early as possible on Friday and Saturday nights, rather than going out... This would be shocking to three-years-ago-me! Or even two-years-ago-me!

I go to brick and mortar department stores and HAVE to try on clothes to make sure they fit and feel comfortable before I'll buy them. This afternoon in Macy's you could have fired off a cannon and not have hit any other customers.

Most of the Macy's around me have closed (including the one I used to work at). At least they do free returns for online orders now.

My 19-year-old cousin was talking about the Alexa thingie at her house yesterday, and I said, "there was no Alexa when I was a kid. *I* was the family Alexa." Compared that to the old 'I walked five miles in the snow to school...' routine and realized that at 51 I have officially entered Fogeydom.

I crochet a lot and inflict my creations on unsuspecting family members. "Bwahahahahahaha!! I made you...an AFGHAN!" and then I throw it at them and run away before they can throw it back.

I go to bed early
I look forward to the weekend, mostly for the opportunity to nap
I use my heating pad more days than not
I call the neighbor kids hooligans for driving too fast

I like to look at a good old map when traveling, though they are harder to come by.

I still have about 400 road maps in a tote in the garage loft. Some may be seriously out of date, but I usually bring the appropriate ones with me when I travel.

Plus I buy a U.S. road atlas every three or four years. Yes, I use apps for detailed driving directions but I like to study what would be close by on the drive there. We occasionally get off the Interstate for maybe 30 miles and take the old highways thru smaller towns.

Did you find the discrepancy?

I just turned 30.
My grandmother would have called you an "old soul" :goodvibes

Oh, and unless I'm more lost than I thought, these:
I don't know what venmo, Sharknado, Spotify, or fomo are (just going off of this thread).
are:
a payment app, a spoof horror movie, a music app, and the acronym for "fear of missing out"

I still have about 400 road maps in a tote in the garage loft.

So cool!! I love my GPS, but I have maps hanging all over like posters because I just like the way they look.

I find myself preferring to watch re-runs of the Andy Griffith show or The Rifleman than any sitcom on TV today (other than the Goldbergs).

Old Bogart or Cagney movies seem to have better writing and dialogue than current movies.

Agree with others who said modern music stinks. It no longer has imagination or soul. Good original music seems to have stopped somewhere in the 1990's.

Read actual books instead of using an E-reader.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter