What really needs to be modernized?

Well we have a third world train system. Would like to get that up to speed with Europe and Japan/HK.
That will be a huge challenge. Most of our cities are not built for trains, as California is finding out trying to build a high speed rail system that basiclaly doesn't serve very many people

I agree with trains, for both cargo and passengers. My Mother says the truckers union was behind the demise of trains being used to haul cargo.

I agree with trains, for both cargo and passengers. My Mother says the truckers union was behind the demise of trains being used to haul cargo.

Which is ironic since most long haul truckers aren’t teamsters.

I’d like to see a new feature film with the classic Disney characters.

I have always thought they should adapt Fantasmic! into an animated film. It could have Mickey and basically every character they want to use. It would need to be fleshed out considerably, but it has potential. Plus it has a ready-made theme song!

Well we have a third world train system. Would like to get that up to speed with Europe and Japan/HK.

After we've spent how many years now closing rail lines/developing the land for other use/converting land to parks and trail systems? Easy peasy.

This would be my answer if it was feasible, however I am not at all sure we could manage. I think our infrastructure is horrific and should be updated.

Nope. It's the collapse of coal and crude oil shipments that have played the biggest part. Also as Diesel prices come down, trucking companies can charge less. As trains are a much more efficient user in the first place, the price drop doesn't affect them as much.

Trains still haul an awful lot of cargo; what they seldom haul (outside the BOS-NYC-DC corridor) is people, and it is a combination of several factors that are behind that, going back to the late 1940's.

The US National Highway System was (and probably still is) the biggest pork barrel ever built, and I remember just about all the dinner-table conversation when I was a kid in the early 60s bringing up this or that new highway project. If I had a dollar for every time my Dad got hired to work on a building because "word is a new highway is going in through there" I'd be rich now. The concrete contractors wanted new highways, the trucking companies wanted new highways, the truckers (who WERE mostly Teamsters back then) wanted them, hotel chains wanted them, restaurant chains wanted them, automobile manufacturers REALLY wanted them; and the Congressional representatives and lobbyists in bed with those industries put their shoulders to the task with single-minded devotion. Job one was crippling rail.

I don't know if we can truly bring back passenger rail, but if you think that AmTrak is feeding at the public trough, think about how many tax incentives go to the construction of highways and to the automotive industry; no one is in the transportation business for altruism.
Rail is efficient, especially over medium-distance routes, such as between major cities in a single region. ...

Which brings me to MY modernization wish: the air traffic control system. I think that if we managed to shifted the burden of short intercity routes to trains again, we could gain enough slack to fix the flight system properly, and hopefully get rid of such silliness as arriving at an airport two hours early in order to take a 30 minute flight.

Grocery shopping. I've been saying for years that this whole go to the store/pull things off shelves and put them in carts/remove from cart to check out/load into car/remove from car to put away at home is too clunky. Of course this situation is being addressed by Amazon and even the local grocery stores are starting to take orders on-line and make deliveries.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!