What restaurants won’t you go to again?

Over many years we have eaten at almost every restaurant at WDW except some of the new ones at DD. There are very few that were bad, but all of the food is way overpriced and so I think less about the "never again" places, and more about which ones are memorable and special enough to our family to justify returning to every trip. That is a very limited list. Most restaurants are decent if not pretty good, but I don't feel compelled to go there when the food is no better than at local restaurants at home and so much more expensive.

FWIW, my only real "never again" is Hollywood & Vine character meal (horrible food and bad character interaction).
The restaurants that we consider "must visits" every trip are Boma, Tusker House breakfast character meal, and Teppan Edo. That is pretty much it. Anything else is fine to try but not a must, or a "never again."

I rarely rule any restaurant out completely (example: I continue to eat at Backlot Express every trip when I know there's a 50/50 chance it will not end well).

That being said, there are a few places I have no immediate desire to go back to:

Via Napoli - really enjoy the pizza but not enough to overlook the unfriendly service we had the last time. If I'm made to feel unwelcome, it doesn't really matter how good the food is.

Be Our Guest (lunch) - there was a mix up with our order, no big deal, these things happen and it was quickly rectified at the order kiosk. When the server came with the (wrong) food and we explained the mix up, she chastised us for talking to a different CM to fix it and left the wrong meal on our table, refusing to move it even when the right meal arrived.

Biergarten: loved the atmosphere, loved the service, loved the communal table experience but I am sadly just too much of a picky eater to really enjoy the food here. I will never not be sad about this.

I'm generally forgiving of the occasional off day in terms of food if it's a restaurant I've enjoyed before but I'm less forgiving of certain types of bad service. I'm less bothered by slow service, human error etc than I am by someone being rude or aggressive.

Be Our Guest (lunch) - there was a mix up with our order, no big deal, these things happen and it was quickly rectified at the order kiosk. When the server came with the (wrong) food and we explained the mix up, she chastised us for talking to a different CM to fix it and left the wrong meal on our table, refusing to move it even when the right meal arrived.
That CM’s behavior was so inappropriate, passive/aggressive, and completely unacceptable. This is just another reason why I won’t be returning to BOG. Our experience was so lousy, and left us with bad memories.

This thread is amazing but is making me have all kinds of second thoughts about my ADR I just booked at Marrakesh. I thought the menu looked so good and I thought kids would like fish nuggets. I saw one positive for it on here - anyone else?

My nevers:
Got violently ill at Biergarten in 1998. Yes, 1998 (to further date this story, the sickness kicked in after we left dinner to go to “Pleasure Island.” Lol.) I know I need to get over it, but thinking of that place still makes me feel ill.

CRT is good but for sure a one and done at that price.

BOG is not worth it at all (lunch)

Chef Mickey’s was amazingly convenient when we stayed at CR, but the food really is embarrassing at those prices.

As a teenager in the 90s I thought prime time diner was awesome. I was wrong, at least in its current state.

Marrakesh wasn't good for my family (a mix of non adventurous and adventurous eaters) in 2016. Admittedly, I ordered what sounded like a very strange dish on the menu and boy it was NOT GOOD. I think in our party of 4 adults, only one of us ordered something that was good. I have had Moroccan food since and it was good.

In 2014, ate at the Chinese table service restaurant and it was fine. It tasted like Chinese food that you could get at any restaurant in a shopping center or at a mall food court. Not bad. Just not quality or worth the price and I have no intention to go back.

So far the only one I won't go to again is Akershus. It was three of us that were there, so three different meals, and it just wasn't good. To me the food was sweet. We left there hungry and in search of food.

Yikes! We have adr's at most of the ones you all have mentioned. Will be interesting to see how they pan out for us. I will say that I'm shocked at all the negative comments about Via Napoli....their pizza is in my top few that I've had ANYwhere (including Italy). I honestly can't think of a Disney restaurant that I would never go back to. Hopefully our soon-to-be trip won't change that.

Garden Grove at the Swan is too expensive for the characters you get.
Bad service at the Wave - yes recently.
Homecomin's food is overrated as someone who lives in the south.
Chef Mickey's and 1900 Park Fare - both due to being a buffet and character meals being chaos, my kids were mostly ignored at 1900 PF. I love and will go back to Crystal Palace though, so it's not ALL character buffets.
Won't go to Be Our Guest unless I get the first reservation for pre-park opening breakfast, and on the dining plan, so basically no. Slow service, overpriced.

I struggle each trip with balancing revisiting favorite places and trying things that have been on my list. There are never enough meals in a trip to do all I want. The new stuff we try really has to wow, otherwise, I've got 20 other places I'd rather go first.

Sci Fi, yuck! We went years ago it was ok, plus the atmosphere is fun. The last two times we went the burgers were awful and the service was too. I rarely ever have bad service at any WDW restaurant, and of the rare times I did, two of them were here. I have no interest to go back ever.

This thread is amazing but is making me have all kinds of second thoughts about my ADR I just booked at Marrakesh. I thought the menu looked so good and I thought kids would like fish nuggets. I saw one positive for it on here - anyone else?

My nevers:
Got violently ill at Biergarten in 1998. Yes, 1998 (to further date this story, the sickness kicked in after we left dinner to go to “Pleasure Island.” Lol.) I know I need to get over it, but thinking of that place still makes me feel ill.

CRT is good but for sure a one and done at that price.

BOG is not worth it at all (lunch)

Chef Mickey’s was amazingly convenient when we stayed at CR, but the food really is embarrassing at those prices.

As a teenager in the 90s I thought prime time diner was awesome. I was wrong, at least in its current state.

We've eaten at Marrakesh twice; the first time was in 2004 at our family's first-ever TS meal. Most recently DW and I ate there in 2015. Both times the service was outstanding but the food was underwhelming--kind of bland. I got the feeling that Disney was making them turn their Spice-O-Meter down from a 10 to a 2. It was a fine experience, but there are other EP restaurants we prefer. And if you've never tried it, I recommend giving it a try. It may be right up your alley, and like I said the service was first-rate.

Is it bad that I can't even remember if I posted on this thread or not? Just don't feel like sifting back through 15 pages to see :)

I'm not sure I would say never again to anything because WDW often transforms their food quality and restaurant management when it senses that reservations are down. Hollywood & Vine and Tony's are prime examples--they had menu overhauls in the past few years and have become favorites for us when previously they were (rightly) reviled. And the flip side is that when a place is popular, its food and service can slide (looking at you Be Our Guest -- see below). So things tend to cycle over time.

With that caveat, I would say that unless I hear of a dramatic overhaul, we absolutely will not be visiting Chef Mickey's or Be Our Guest again soon.

Chef Mickeys is obvious: the price when you consider the food quality and the fact that there are so many other Mickey & crew character meals to choose from, is just astonishingly bad. The last straw for me was when I found my chicken was raw inside, out of concern for kids who might eat a bite without cutting into it first I went up to the buffet and told a cast member so they could pull it off the buffet, only to have him insist I must have been mistaken and refuse to even come to look at my chicken. Lack of food safety is just a big no no to me.

Be Our Guest is a little more complicated. I do love the castle vibe, but it has just gone so downhill while the price has skyrocketed. Breakfast is 150% more than it was the first time we ate there, even though the food is the same and is not very good. I used to love dinner there, but the new much pricier menu basically eliminated the French theme we liked, the food we ate was not at all good (cold lobster soup; pork so overcooked and dry I couldn't cut it; no choice as to dessert). The service we had was dreadful (no refills on empty drinks, wasn't able to send back inedible pork because server never checked in on us after dropping off food; waited 40 mins for check; birthday noted on reservation not acknowledged). Also, I find it frustrating that even though it is billed as a character meal, you still have to wait approximately 30 minutes to meet the beast.

Homecomin's food is overrated as someone who lives in the south.

OMG I'm so glad someone else feels this way. We went after it first opened and expected to be blown away by the food. It was underwhelming when compared to the hype. It was good, but no one in my party had any desire to go back during future trips.

CRT - A one and done. No real complaints about the meal, but it's just way too expensive. Very slow to be seated, but the service was excellent though. I'm guess it's a primo wait staff gig.
Chef Mikey - Food quality is a let down, and it's so noisy. Not spending the money on this again.
Ohana dinner - I'm done with Ohana until I see concrete evidence things have gotten better. Amazing meal in 2015. 2016 was bleh, but we gave it another shot in 2018 and it somehow got worse. Done with Ohana which is a real shame.

O’hana - been there twice for dinner and both times the food was average at best, first time we were so rushed through it was unbelievable. Second time my wife got ill after the meal for several days she couldn’t eat anything.

O'hana....several years ago DH was sick after the meal (although it tasted pretty darned good that time, LOL), this past summer it was just awful. I hate the new version of the salad, the noodles were tasteless, and the bread was dry. The meat was so-so.

We just had a pretty bad meal at Trattoria al Forno, so unless someone convinces me that it was a one off experience, we won't be going back there. It's too easy to find good Italian. The service was really slow and I thought that the food was sub par.

CRT for sure. It's way overpriced, and I think that the food is pretty awful (only had dinner).

San Angel Inn for sure....had the absolute worst service we've ever had anywhere and will not return.

We probably wouldn't do Via Napoli again - it was very loud, kinda slow (and odd) service and I'm not a fan of not being able to share when using credits.

This is an unpopular opinion but the one place we won't return to is Boma. I was disappointed in the quality of the food. I'm not talking about the flavor profiles. That's too subjective. Overall, we just weren't impressed. I liked one soup and a pasta salad but not enough to go back.

1900 Park Fair is the only place I would never pay to go back to (and that includes "free dining") Bad food, bad service.

I have no desire to go back to to Via Napoli, CRT, or BOG. Great one time, no need to do it again. To crazy and too expensive for what you get.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter