What restaurants won’t you go to again?

California Grill, Sanaa and Tratoria are all pretty good restaurants. If you had a bad meal there it’s worth a second visit. My wife is an amateur foodie and complains all the time about Disney food and even she thought these meals were as good as proper restaurants we visit at home.

Cape May - crab legs were small and cold, rest of the food was really subpar. Golden Corral food at Disney World prices.
Pecos Bill and Cosmic Rays - been to both multiple times but won't return--chaos to find a seat, loud, and the food is at best mediocre.
Crystal Palace - this was our first Disney table service meal and we haven't been back. We weren't seated until almost 30 minutes after our reservation and that's one of the few things that drive me crazy. Food was just ok (there are a number of better breakfasts at Disney).
Le Cellier - food wasn't bad (although my daughter and I shared a steak that was super-salty) but cramped and overpriced for what you get.

We've been to a number of others that we enjoyed and would return to (and have) - California Grill, Yachtsman, Narcoossee's, Chefs de France (though dinner was was too loud last time), Via Napoli (but will only sit outside--too loud inside), Les Halles, Columbia Harbor House, The Wave, The Plaza, Ale & Compass. A few others fall into a middle category, not ruled out but no hurry to return - 'Ohana, Raglan Road, Boma

Mama Melrose's and Boatwright's.

We have only eaten once at Mama Melrose's, but the food and service were both horrible.

We gave Boatwright's a 2nd chance, and it didn't redeem itself. The food was very bland. We did have good service, but there are just too many other great places to enjoy at WDW to go back there.
I feel like I add a new restaurant to the list every time I go to Disney.

Ohana, Mama Melrose, and most recently Columbia Harbour House are all 100% no gos for me.

There are also a handful of restaurants that I didn’t hate but felt like they were “one and done.” (Biergarten comes to mind.) I suppose that’s a separate thread though.
These are the only two posts I saw Mama Melrose mentioned, and I was surprised. We’ve eaten there maybe 5 times. The last 4 times the service just got worse and worse. Each time we were seated loooong after our ADR (like 60 minutes), I had to get up and get our own silverware and send the kids to get water from the host stand, and they bring out everyone’s food at different times so someone is either eating an ice cold dinner or watching everyone else eat. The straw that broke the camel’s back was last time we were there our server dropped an entire tray of drinks next to our table. It’s cool, mistakes happen, but my son was soaked and there was glass everywhere. They came over and said “well, at least no one got wet.” To which I replied, “my son is soaked. I have to go buy him new clothes.” And the manager replied, “well at least there’s stores close by.” Then they said “just try not to step on the glass under your table. We will get it later.” To which I replied, “just sweep it now because I don’t want to hover our legs for the entire dinner.” And I got a huffy attitude. Mind you, I was not rude or angry about it, and it was an entire tray of glasses that had shattered and spilled.

Later, when I took DD to the bathroom, soaking wet son decided he had to go to the bathroom. DH tells our waitress that we are all running to the bathroom and we will be right back. All of our food is on the table and at most half eaten. We come back and everything is gone, including the kids’ pins that were on the table. The waitress said, “you guys forgot your pins when you tried to leave without paying.”
Then I was angry. We were gone for less than 5 minutes, DH told the waitress, and she was MIA the entire time we needed anything. But she jumped at the opportunity to have the table cleared! The manager happened to be standing there. They bought out new food for us. When the bill came, not a thing was comped. There wasn’t a sorry about your awful experience or anything. So we have vowed not to be back. One of the only places we’ve had bad service in Disney ever.

That was my rant. So good to get off of my chest. LOL

Be Our Guest
Mama Melrose
Crystal Palace

On the other hand, these are restaurants that we will go back to again and again.

Teppan Edo
Biergarten
1900 Park Fare
Boma
Cape May Cafe
Garden Grill
Rainforest Cafe
San Angel Inn

Last edited:
Never say never but for now-

1- CRT- it was nice to see inside the castle but the food was terrible and the service was mediocre, it was a one and done for us

2- H&V- chaos, messy, slow service

3- O'hana (dinner)- we've enjoyed this meal before but our last visit there in Oct 2018, it just was not a good experience, food wasn't great, service was not good, felt very rushed

Mama Melrose- Tomato sauce tasted like Chef Boyardee

Hollywood & Vine- Restaurant wasn’t clean

50’s Prime Time- What used to be so fun with waitstaff’s crazy antics has been watered down so as not to offend diners.

Chef Mickeys- Mass chaos. Food sub par.

BOG- I don’t want to return, but DD is making me try dinner after we had a terrible lunch experience.

- Sci-Fi..... Food was very average for lunch and those old movie clips won't mean anything to someone who isn't over 50. The cars where you sit looking at the back of others in your group seems an odd arrangement, but we were able to sit at one of the regular table around the outside. Place looks dates and in need of a refresh.

- BOG..... You line up in a stuffy hallway and then order from a complicated touchscreen kiosk. The Disney person acted annoyed that people were taking too long to order, but the touch screen menu isn't obvious and if you have never used it before, takes time to figure out which sub-menu has which item. You get your own beverage/silverware and seat yourself, but they bring the food when read, a rather odd combination of table & counter service. Food for lunch was very average, nothing to rave about.

We liked O'hana's, but apparently many do not. Seems a lot of the complaints result from the fixed menu and how food is served, but we enjoyed it. Never felt rushed.
I have never been to Sci Fi, so I cannot comment.
I completely agree with you regarding BOG and ‘Ohana.

DD seems to think BOG will be better at dinner. Lunch was awful.

We love ‘Ohana, both dinner and breakfast. We have eaten there on every trip and have always had wonderful experiences.

We haven’t eaten at Chef Mickeys in 18 years but I have an ADR for the next trip with my DGS. He loves the character meals and we despise buffets! I’m considering reconsidering!
1900 Park Fare was terrible and I didn’t have high expectations.

Tony’s is another pass.

Wow Gang Pucks was terrible, it’s s no from us.

Haven’t tried Coral Reef and never will.

We’ve learned to order simple and seem to have better luck. My husband isn’t a fan of QS and I love giving DGS the experience of the character meals so our hands are kind of tired. I did try for a last minute CRT but no luck. The food we had there was good and...wine

These are the only two posts I saw Mama Melrose mentioned, and I was surprised. We’ve eaten there maybe 5 times. The last 4 times the service just got worse and worse. Each time we were seated loooong after our ADR (like 60 minutes), I had to get up and get our own silverware and send the kids to get water from the host stand, and they bring out everyone’s food at different times so someone is either eating an ice cold dinner or watching everyone else eat. The straw that broke the camel’s back was last time we were there our server dropped an entire tray of drinks next to our table. It’s cool, mistakes happen, but my son was soaked and there was glass everywhere. They came over and said “well, at least no one got wet.” To which I replied, “my son is soaked. I have to go buy him new clothes.” And the manager replied, “well at least there’s stores close by.” Then they said “just try not to step on the glass under your table. We will get it later.” To which I replied, “just sweep it now because I don’t want to hover our legs for the entire dinner.” And I got a huffy attitude. Mind you, I was not rude or angry about it, and it was an entire tray of glasses that had shattered and spilled.

Later, when I took DD to the bathroom, soaking wet son decided he had to go to the bathroom. DH tells our waitress that we are all running to the bathroom and we will be right back. All of our food is on the table and at most half eaten. We come back and everything is gone, including the kids’ pins that were on the table. The waitress said, “you guys forgot your pins when you tried to leave without paying.”
Then I was angry. We were gone for less than 5 minutes, DH told the waitress, and she was MIA the entire time we needed anything. But she jumped at the opportunity to have the table cleared! The manager happened to be standing there. They bought out new food for us. When the bill came, not a thing was comped. There wasn’t a sorry about your awful experience or anything. So we have vowed not to be back. One of the only places we’ve had bad service in Disney ever.

That was my rant. So good to get off of my chest. LOL

We thought our time there was the worst, but your scenario beats it. It took forever to be seated and once we were seated no one wanted to wait on us. This was the pattern all night. We constantly had to wave people down and ask for things. Wave someone down for waters. Wave someone down for menus. Wave someone down to place our order. Then our food came out at random times. Wave someone down for refills. Cold food...hot food. Wave someone down to order dessert. It was just terrible and the food didn't taste very good either. When we asked each person who our server was no one could answer and didn't seem to care we didn't have one assigned to us.

I am really surprised you didn't get a little something taken off your bill. We only complained to the last person who waited on us. We told them how ridiculously long we had been there and that we might miss Fantasmic because of it. She said I bet there will be plenty of seats. :-(

Marrakesh (though we only went once and it was many years ago and when I was still a picky eater so maybe time to re-try though I hate couscous)
Bongos (I think it's now closed)
Tony's
Shulas
Frontera Cocina
9 Dragons

And no longer too interested in the buffets, EXCEPT Boma breakfast which is almost always a must-do.

Also no need to do the character type places, to include BOG. Over priced for what you get and our kids are college aged so not important. Rather spend similar $$ and do signatures like CG, Tiffins and the like.

Last edited:
Flying Fish. Our server was terrible (rotten attitude the first time she came to the table) and my scallops were so oversalted, they were inedible. For the first time in my life, I returned a dish to the kitchen. Sadly, the 2nd dish was also oversalted and I couldn't eat it.

I won't say never, but Coral Reef. It's been over a decade now and the poor service we experienced the last time we were there still stands out in my mind. It used to be one of our favorites before then.

I have been going to Coral Reef for the last 4 years and have only had one good service experience but the food has always been good and we love the atmosphere. We correct the service by adjusting our tip accordingly. I wonder why the service is always so bad.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter