What Roy Disney's granddaughter has to say about Iger

It seems CEO pay in the US amounts to looting the till. Something isn’t working right. The boards are being complicit and shareholders not objecting strongly. In the majority of cases the shareholders being institutional buyers so I guess there also raiding the till by executive management.

In some cases you have a company with ever declining profits but ever increasing executive compensation. It really is outrageous in some cases but surprisingly no significant outrage. The CEO’s sing about deep social conscience while putting every dollar they can in their depthless pockets.

Be careful in terms. Compensation package appears high, I agree. The salary part though is only a small portion. The equity in the company, via stocks, is the lion share. And since the stock value under his leadership has performed very well, his ownership stake has grown right along with it. Be careful of terms, as compensation is NOT the same thing as salary.
The reason companies give stock awards is due to government rule changes in the 90's capping how much salary can be counted as a business expense. Capping the tax deduction meant companies found a new way to compensate, that being stock awards and options.

My point is his salary is ~$3million a year. However compensation overall is much larger, and totally dependent on stock price. If the rumors of sex harassment pervasive through the company stick, his holdings go to near zero.

It seems CEO pay in the US amounts to looting the till. Something isn’t working right. The boards are being complicit and shareholders not objecting strongly. In the majority of cases the shareholders being institutional buyers so I guess there also raiding the till by executive management.

In some cases you have a company with ever declining profits but ever increasing executive compensation. It really is outrageous in some cases but surprisingly no significant outrage. The CEO’s sing about deep social conscience while putting every dollar they can in their depthless pockets.
Because most board members are executives of other companies.
If Disney CM compensation was determined by a vote of Universal, SeaWorld and LEGO park employees... they would be paid a lot more, too.

if Abigail doesn't like things she should try and get on the board and help decide his compensation package otherwise shut up. she is not involved in any aspect of the company other than getting her dividends every quarter. no member if the Disney family is currently involved in the company

if Abigail doesn't like things she should try and get on the board and help decide his compensation package otherwise shut up. she is not involved in any aspect of the company other than getting her dividends every quarter. no member if the Disney family is currently involved in the company
Really? You don’t believe she should express her opinion about Iger’s compensation? Did she violate some sort of universal principle that you have divined?

I am not sure why this was posted now. The article is two months old and was discussed a bit already when it was released.
What is your time limit for this? If posted in six weeks would that still have prompted your question or should it only have been posted in hours after publication?

For me personally I always have a hard time understanding why anyone makes a post similar to your’s. Do you expect the OP to feel guilty for his tardiness?

What is your time limit for this? If posted in six weeks would that still have prompted your question or should it only have been posted in hours after publication?

For me personally I always have a hard time understanding why anyone makes a post similar to your’s. Do you expect the OP to feel guilty for his tardiness?
No I’m just wondering why it was posted now that’s all. I didn’t think my comment would start an argument.

The interview/article was discussed and moved on from in other threads so I thought it was done. If there is more to add or discuss sure I am all for discussion.

So share holders of companies shouldn't have any say about executive pay?

No I’m just wondering why it was posted now that’s all. I didn’t think my comment would start an argument.

The interview/article was discussed and moved on from in other threads so I thought it was done. If there is more to add or discuss sure I am all for discussion.
I was thinking there was a previous thread on this, as well. Was that thread locked? Or was it just discussed in the News thread?

I was thinking there was a previous thread on this, as well. Was that thread locked? Or was it just discussed in the News thread?
I know it was discussed in the news thread. Not sure if we had another thread or not.

Sorry if I took it the wrong way. I didn’t see the earlier thread so this was new to me.

Not at all.

Really? You don’t believe she should express her opinion about Iger’s compensation? Did she violate some sort of universal principle that you have divined?

I kind of understand @cmash95 and why they're frustrated. It's one thing if people like us express our opinion, we're nobody in the eyes of Disney, but for someone such as herself that could at least try to do something other than making just one comment is kind of eye roll worthy to me as well. Also, on top of it, she had to be "I like him, but..."

I know she can't do much either I have to admit and yes, she does have the right to express her opinion, but I won't pat her on the back too much, as unlike Roy, while he stepped away for a moment, he did try to go back to Disney and tried to do something about the CEO he had issues with at the time and did protest a lot more than she ever has.

I commend her for her other work and charity, but Disney has been getting ridiculous with CEO salaries for quite sometime and I think could be offended at far more other things the company has done in the past as well when it comes to greed.

Her speaking out now is all smoke and mirrors to me.

Her statements have no substance..It would be like me winning 100 million on powerball..then saying its unfair to win that much. This is a free market capitalist republic. Always will be despite some of political nonsense coming from some candidates. Its all noise. She just shares their political opinion. If she wants equal misery and social "economic justice" goto Venezuela. See how that works....CEO's make what they make due to stock performance...and yes they make ALOT! but regulating that or taking it away from them does nothing to improve my life. We are all responsible for whatever we make. None of her business or anyone else. I would not want another system. At all.

Her statements have no substance..It would be like me winning 100 million on powerball..then saying its unfair to win that much. This is a free market capitalist republic. Always will be despite some of political nonsense coming from some candidates. Its all noise. She just shares their political opinion. If she wants equal misery and social "economic justice" goto Venezuela. See how that works....CEO's make what they make due to stock performance...and yes they make ALOT! but regulating that or taking it away from them does nothing to improve my life. We are all responsible for whatever we make. None of her business or anyone else. I would not want another system. At all.
You believe they have no substance so you want to restrict her free speech as a Disney shareholder?

Wrapping yourself in capitalism and citing Venezuela indicates that you believe those making statements here about high CEO pay are on the left. This just isn’t true and particularly in my case.

I don’t believe anyone considers Forbes a progressive rag and below is shown the results of an extensive study cited there-

“Across the board, the more CEOs get paid, the worse their companies do over the next three years, according to extensive new research. This is true whether they’re CEOs at the highest end of the pay spectrum or the lowest. “The more CEOs are paid, the worse the firm does over the next three years, as far as stock performance and even accounting performance,” says one of the authors of the study, Michael Cooper of the University of Utah’s David Eccles School of Business.”

The study finds this is due to docile boards inappropriately approving executive compensation packages.

Some of the worst abuses are severance packages. CEO’s that had horrible results each year of their tenure cashing out for tens or hundreds of millions of dollars.

If you think progressive culture is rampant in DC then knowing what goes on in much of corporate America these days would be an eye opener for you (think Rex Tillerson).

Except for small businesses people are paid what someone decides they should make. My point is that the buddy system used to decide CEO pay is flawed. If we lived in a pure meritocracy then the right compensation decisions would be made. Unfortunately the meritocracy has been usurped by the cozy buddy system in many cases. The cozy buddy system is like Venezuela and not like unfettered capitalism.

There are ideologies on the left and on the right that are used to simplify thinking and used by politicians to manipulate people. Reality is much more complex than is captured in these simple rules of belief.

As for stock price-the Dow is up 50% over the last couple years and so are CEO’s on average doing a 50% better job then two years ago? For oil companies their stock rises and falls with oil price. When oil price and stock price are low does that mean the CEO’s are doing a poor job. Stock price is impacted by things the CEO has no control over. Do oil company CEO’s earn a massive cash out because oil price increases?

You have great CEO’s like Mark Papa who was at EOG resources and opened up the big oil shale pays and didn’t receive enough compensation for his contributions. On I the other hand you have a lot of CEO’s that just muddle through and cash out because oil price is up due to some conflict in the ME and cash out with some ridiculous amount.

Last edited:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts