What should we drink to? Let’s drink two and see where it goes. - Star Wars Half 2019 -Update 5/5

Dis_Yoda

DIS Veteran
DVC Silver
Introduction/Plan

After taking a break from reporting on my last trip in January, I’m back to report on our Star Wars Rival Run Weekend plans. I'm a 32 year old Mechanical Engineer turned Government Worker. I also went back to graduate school for Public Administration. I may be crazy to do that. My husband is a 35 year old manager at a large liquor store.

Ugy7LmT.jpg

This trip changed a bit after my husband let me know he had to work that Thursday & Friday because of other obligations among the management group. He should be able to make it up there by 5/6PM Friday night if he left straight from work. He’ll take himself to the expo upon arrival to get his bib. If he hits traffic, we will be visiting the emergency bib pick up tent Saturday morning. Either way, he gets to keep his legacy status for the races even if it means very little Disney time for him.

I wasn’t going to give up my Disney time so now I had two days pretty much on my own to adjust plans for. I then saw availability on Wednesday Night at Saratoga Spring so I figured I might as well head up there after work on Wednesday! I flexed a bit this week so I hope I can get out of the office more like 4PM than 5PM. We’ll see how that works.

Our Tables in Wonderland expired at the end of December & due to the lack of WDW trips this year, I couldn’t justify renewing quite yet since the trips we did have were very race focused and thus less booze & food focused. We ended up using our AP & DVC discounts over Marathon Weekend and that worked alright. I decided to do the Deluxe Dining Plan for my 1 night stay at Saratoga since I could use the credits on Thursday as well & I’m pretty sure my refillable mug will still work throughout the trip at the Grand Floridian. I know it will be a lot of food but it should be ok for the short time I have it. I also decided to switch up some plans to do a few special events that my husband would never enjoy or maybe he would enjoy on a non-running trip. We’re also eating way later than I would like to before a race but I picked a safe easy option that should be fine for our stomachs to run on.

Plans

Wednesday, April 3rd, 2019

5:00PM - Leave Work
8:30PM - Arrive at Saratoga Springs
9:35PM - Dinner at California Grill (2 TS)
11:30PM - Bed!

Thursday, April 4th, 2019

8:00AM - EPCOT Opens
9:30AM - Royal Tea Tour in UK Pavilion
12:00PM - Teppan Edo (1 TS)
2:00PM - EXPO for Rival Run Weekend
4:00PM - Check In at Grand Floridian
6:00PM - Highway in the Sky

Friday April 5th 2019

I haven't a clue? Too many options!

7:00PM - Solo Time Ends
8:00PM - Grand Floridian Cafe

Saturday April 6th 2019

5:30AM - Star Wars 10K
10:25AM - The Plaza Restaurant Breakfast
5:15PM - Narcoossee’s

Sunday April 7th 2019

5:30AM - Star Wars Half Marathon (Mr. Dis_Yoda Only)
10:50AM - The Wave Breakfast

Looks like a great plan! I can't wait to hear about the Tea Experience at R&C. I decided to cancel it for our last day during our January trip because I got a FoP Fastpass I refused to give up. The decisions we must make. :laughing: Too bad hubby won't be with you the whole time, but I'm sure its nice to get some time to yourself too. Looking forward to reading all about it!

Following along! We are eating at a few of the places on your plan so it will be interesting to see how you like them! :)

We’ll just miss you! Getting there on 4/9.

Sad we are just missing you again! One of these days we will match up.

Thanks for joining in!

Looks like a great plan! I can't wait to hear about the Tea Experience at R&C. I decided to cancel it for our last day during our January trip because I got a FoP Fastpass I refused to give up. The decisions we must make. :laughing: Too bad hubby won't be with you the whole time, but I'm sure its nice to get some time to yourself too. Looking forward to reading all about it!

Don't blame you for canceling for FoP FP+ since I know you love that ride! My mother did that Tea Experience and thought it was just ok. I did the Royal Tea Tour which was fun & a bit cheaper than the Tea Experience!

So excited you are back to write another report! Can’t wait to read about it!

Yes! My last dining report until November but at least I'll have a large trip report for September!

Hope you have a great time!

Thank you! Home now. Trip was a mixed bag but that happens!

Hope you have a magical trip.

Some magic did happen!

Can't wait to read all about it!!!

Thanks!

Can't wait to read about it! Run strong! :shamrock:

We did! Now its back to reality :(

Following along! We are eating at a few of the places on your plan so it will be interesting to see how you like them! :)

Which places are you planning on eating at? We had some plan changes but that happens!

I'll be following along!

Welcome!

Yay, love reading your dining reports. Sounds like some good choices!

Thank you for reading along! Dining reports always seem easier for me than trip reports! I admire how you can always do the trip reports for your trips!

Mizner’s

I left work a little after 4PM with a quick stop along the way to get my stitches removed on my finger (freak accident on March 23rd) but I made decent time and arrived at the Polynesian around 7:30PM. Yes, Polynesian is correct. On Monday I had logged into Disney Vacation Club to see if I could modify to a resort around the Magic Kingdom & imagine my delight when I saw I could get a studio last minute at the Polynesian! This meant I wouldn’t have to drive to dinner as the monorail would be running late into the night! I never received my room ready text & apparently the check in lady did something strange with my magic band that gave me issues with it the next day at the Grand Floridian but we’ll get to that later. I do love the studios at the Polynesian & we should try to stay there more often.

Z6BYoqq.jpg

imEs6NW.jpg

Once in the room, I didn’t unpack since I would only be there one night but I refreshed up a bit and changed my shoes before heading out so I could say goodbye to an old friend. Yes, I realize that friend is a bar but I have lots of memories there from when I was a little girl with my fancy Shirley Temples with my parents when we used to say there for a week every May to hanging out there at my wedding, to crying from laughter/anger with my best friend back in 2015 when something absurd was asked of her as a bridesmaid at another wedding we attended to multiple drink around the monorails with my husband and friends over the years. It was my favorite bar on property. I sat at the bar and asked the bartender to make me whatever was her favorite drink to make as I wasn’t in a specific mood for anything in particular. This got me carded :rotfl2: as only a person that doesn't know alcohol would ask that. She laughed when she saw I was in my 30s but I explained where my husband works so we always like to mix it up as we have varied tastes and I was being indecisive. In turn, this allowed me to try out a drink that is in development for the new bar that they are working on so not quite sure what was in it but I know it had 3 types of liquor, cranberry and sprite. I really enjoyed it!

SIqpQLT.jpg

GekP07m.jpg

Bar Snacks

Beviw6Z.jpg

Drink In Development

I paid my bill and headed over to the Contemporary for dinner.​

California Grill

I checked in at 9:10PM for my 9:35PM reservation hoping that I could get sat a little early as I was tired since I had been up since 5AM. Stupid me didn’t look to see what time the fireworks were so you had all the people waiting for the 9:15PM fireworks before leaving their table. I watched from the balcony area but I knew I had Highway in the Sky the next day so I didn’t pay too much attention to them. Right after the fireworks ended, the restaurant cleared and I was seated within minutes. I glanced at the menu and was torn between two entrees - the duck or the sea bass. I attempted to ask my server which he preferred when he took my order to which he suggested the Bison. :confused3 Well, that wasn’t one of my options. I think that sums up him as a server as after he took my order, I pretty much didn’t see him until I had to move my water glass to the edge of the table to get a refill after I had waited a reasonable amount of time and he had passed multiple times. I didn’t see him again until he tried to give me my check post entree but I insisted on dessert (I was on the Deluxe DIning Plan for the 1 night reservation) I guess he just didn’t want to be there that evening but I wasn’t his only table so he still wasn’t leaving early if I wasn’t there. At least the food runners were around to make sure my food didn’t die on the line and the table next to me & I shared our frustrations with him as they could barely get refills on their beer.

3loxq2L.jpg

Menu

I went with the beef short ribs for my appetizer. These have a nice spice to them (thus why I needed refills on my water that I didn’t get while eating them) and I really did enjoy them.

zu1vjSk.jpg

Braised Beef Short Rib Wontons - Doenjang Miso-Cola-Onion Sauce, Crispy Garlic-Chili Oil, Radish, Pickled Lotus Root

My cocktail was excellent as well but we all know I love my bourbon!

CreQ9q1.jpg

Old Fashioned

I ended up picking the Sea Bass as I couldn’t tell from looking at the tables around me if the two courses of duck were actually two courses or just served on one plate and I was tired and didn’t want to be out longer than I had to. I’m so not a night owl. I’m really happy with this option as the fish was well cooked. The corn-saffron emulsion was the perfect sauce for this fish and I was really happy with the sides.

IhtNOVR.jpg

Pacific Sea Bass - Green Garlic Gnocchi, Edamame, Butter-poached Spring Onions, Corn-Saffron Emulsion

My dessert had a hidden Mickey! That made me happy. I really enjoyed the ice cream and the graham crackers. The bomboloni was a little heavy for me this late at night but I ate 1 and a half of them. I could see sharing this dessert with someone in the future.

TQRgujy.jpg

S’mores Bomboloni - Banana Jam, House-made Graham Crackers, Toasted Marshmallow Ice Cream

So overall, amazing food, bad server. That is a shame but I know I was among the last groups being sat for the night and I guess he was just over the day. My bill was still almost $100 for one person (great value for my 2 Deluxe Credits) but I was glad that I was tipping cash so I could adjust accordingly.

I headed back to the Polynesian & picked up my refillable mug so I would have a drink for the room that evening/next morning. The mug did last through 4/18 so I was able to keep using it during the Grand Floridian part of the trip.​

You know I wouldn't miss this for the world!

Glad to see your trip started off on a good food note though sorry the service was bad. CG is usually one of our favorites, though service is usually anything put consistent. Its either phenomenal or bad. I think some people have worked there so long they just dial it in after a while.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter